What have YOU done to your 986 today ?

Mike G

On 07/02/2018 at 6:09 PM, 1666matt said:

First full day of ownership boxster s, was spent cleaning then sealing the roof (autoglym soft top) 

Jet wash the car, clean, then clay, then machine polish, then wax. I'm done for today. 

Interior tomorrow! 

Enjoy.  I got mine a few weeks ago too it’s great to get little jobs done.  Just need nice weather now :)

a brake light bulb was out so bought a bulb and went to change it. However, the bulb had just popped out. Refitted it and hey presto working brake light. I now have a spare..Small victories

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Billzeebub said:

a brake light bulb was out so bought a bulb and went to change it. However, the bulb had just popped out. Refitted it and hey presto working brake light. I now have a spare..Small victories

I love these easy jobs when they go according to plan! Last time I changed a bulb in my headlight, I snapped the plastic connection holder that the headlight slides in so had to spend an hour in the dark trying to push the headlight back and my wife holding the connector trying to line it up! Whilst also trying not to trap her hand in there! Annoying to say the least. 

4 hours ago, karlp606 said:

I love these easy jobs when they go according to plan! Last time I changed a bulb in my headlight, I snapped the plastic connection holder that the headlight slides in so had to spend an hour in the dark trying to push the headlight back and my wife holding the connector trying to line it up! Whilst also trying not to trap her hand in there! Annoying to say the least. 

I feel your pain chap! Last time I tried to change the sidelight bulb in the headlight I struggled for an hour on a Saturday afternoon to get the headlight back in. As the light faded and darkness descended I snapped the headlight tool! At the end of my tether I gaffer taped the headlight in and dawdled (with hazards on) down to the Paragon where I sheepishly explained my idiocy. Queue the very nice salesman popping it back in around 15 seconds! 

• Like 1

Replaced my tuning forks this morning. Fairly straightforward, took me 3 hours with a coffee break.

Transformed the car :) No longer have the snooker ball noise, slight wheel wobble at motorway speed. Also, has improved the handing, have a sharper front end which I wasn't expecting. £300 well spent.

Only downside is I can hear the coffin arms more so might have to do those next...

DA polished the headlights with compound, then polished and waxed.

Fabsil'd the hood - looks like new again.

When will it get warm enough to paint........I've got a couple of paint jobs and despite having the car garaged I'm not convinced the paint applies or drys correctly until it gets to a steady 12-13 deg. 

AaS

Was planning to drain coolant and start to fit new water pump, thermostat and belt but decided instead to do the "easier" job of changing gearbox oil. Got all the parts removed in order to gain access to fill and drain plugs and then found that I could not shift the fill one:unsure:. Going to buy a better 10mm hex fitting tomorrow and try a longer bar for more leverage - what could possibly go wrong?:lol:

Successful day. Got the gearbox oil changed then fitted my repaired rear caliper with new bleed nipple. I then bled the brakes, thankfully without incident this time:lol:.

Coolant drain, belt, cool running thermostat and new expansion tank next plus caliper paint & new stickers.

Had a go at defogging my headlights with the Turtle Wax renovation kit. Pleasantly surprised by the results. Not as good as new but 15 year old units were never going to manage that. I even found my bonnet emergency release cable tucked into the offside lamp housing although I'm slightly at a loss to think how I could route it somewhere useful for when the inevitable eventually happens.

No before photos I'm afraid. I'm from a generation that doesn't naturally take a photo of everything they see! Still, imagine a headlight lens that looks almost covered in light frost as a before. Not quite opaque but not far off either.

Now I just have to work out how to embed images.

Edited by AMacdonald