What have YOU done to your 986 today ?

Mike G

...instead, I was out around 8am doing some testing of the mighty brazilian! she too has developed a cough and a wheeze... what strange timing that someone would find a two year old post with the same symptoms.

My testing has been inconclusive but points towards a fuel supply issue and as Ive been running a system cleaner through, and the problem seems to be lessening, I am hoping that its been a clogged fuel filter/injector/pump/line issue. Hope springs eternal...

4 minutes ago, Loz987 said:

...instead, I was out around 8am doing some testing of the mighty brazilian! she too has developed a cough and a wheeze... what strange timing that someone would find a two year old post with the same symptoms.

My testing has been inconclusive but points towards a fuel supply issue and as Ive been running a system cleaner through, and the problem seems to be lessening, I am hoping that its been a clogged fuel filter/injector/pump/line issue. Hope springs eternal...

See you like Full English Breakfasts. Had my last Little Chef Full English before Little Chef Died at end of January.
Let me know what the problem was
As I have posted earlier look for the cheapest fixes first Maybe a fuse!

31 minutes ago, richardjjs said:

See you like Full English Breakfasts. Had my last Little Chef Full English before Little Chef Died at end of January.
Let me know what the problem was
As I have posted earlier look for the cheapest fixes first Maybe a fuse!

I’ve eliminated plugs, coils, MAF and I’m getting an increasingly more intermittent (as in happening less often) stutter under heavy load or at standstill. It’s like a bit of debris is dancing around in the fuel line periodically blocking it up.. I put some shyate 95 fuel in and don’t think that helped.

Im wondering if the pump or relay are at fault.. I forgot to put the cap back on the fuel tank and tried to start it once. It doesn’t like not being able to pressurise.... I wonder if that started something bad...

have a thread looking for a diagnostic tool to borrow or rent, so hope to know better soon...

4 minutes ago, karlp606 said:

Hi are you selling your old wheel? I have a tippy with a 4 spoke and want to upgrade to a 3 spoke.

Sorry, @karlp606 Royal Steering Wheels have it, so they can do the next one for someone else.

I suspect that he'd do a deal though if you asked him.

Edited by TimsterC
  • Thanks 1

On 4 March 2018 at 11:27 AM, Loz987 said:

I’ve eliminated plugs, coils, MAF and I’m getting an increasingly more intermittent (as in happening less often) stutter under heavy load or at standstill. It’s like a bit of debris is dancing around in the fuel line periodically blocking it up.. I put some shyate 95 fuel in and don’t think that helped.

Im wondering if the pump or relay are at fault.. I forgot to put the cap back on the fuel tank and tried to start it once. It doesn’t like not being able to pressurise.... I wonder if that started something bad...

have a thread looking for a diagnostic tool to borrow or rent, so hope to know better soon...

Loz, sounds more like a Vacumn leak to me? Check the usuals dip stick etc.

23 hours ago, bally4563 said:

Loz, sounds more like a Vacumn leak to me? Check the usuals dip stick etc.

Shut the front door!!! 

Mom seriously hoping you are right my friend as I have just gone to the boot and found the oil cap was loose! What the actual F@@k!!!?? I’m now obligated to take her for a test drive! Report to follow...

Well, at first I thought you’d cracked it! I mean, I absolutely can’t have helped... where else can I check for leaks? 

Heres one for the tech savvy...

if my AOS was failing what that create a leak of the kind you discribe? And is there a test that an absolute beginner could perform? I do get a little smoke on start up... then it’s clear...

Condesation or definetly Smokey? If oil filler cap is easy to remove with engine running would suggest AOS, the same for the dipstick tube also common for fracturing, quote me if I am wrong but you should be pulling good, Vacumn to scavenge any oil back to the sump, or possible egr valve faulty. On tick over is the Rev counter steady or hunting?

Edited by bally4563
Miss spell

2 hours ago, bally4563 said:

Condesation or definetly Smokey? If oil filler cap is easy to remove with engine running would suggest AOS, the same for the dipstick tube also common for fracturing, quote me if I am wrong but you should be pulling good, Vacumn to scavenge any oil back to the sump, or possible egr valve faulty. On tick over is the Rev counter steady or hunting?

Noooooooo!!!! If the oil cap is hard to remove when idling the AOS is bad!!!!! The correct crank case vacuum is fairly low and the cap will unscrew.

The way the AOS works is that there is a diaphragm that is fine enough that it will capture oil fumes. On one side of the diaphragm is a vacuum line from the intake, on the other side is the vent from the crank case. The vacuum pulls the blowby in the crank case into the intake. Oil captured by the diaphragm is returned by gravity to the crank case.

In a failed AOS the diaphragm has split and the resistance of the diaphragm is lost and the vacuum line pulls the crank case down to the point where the fill cap is impossible to remove. Another effect is that the oil fumes will go into the intake and pool. At some point a big glob of oil sloshes into one of the cylinders and creates a hydraulic lock. Bye, bye engine.

The raw oil fumes pulled into the intake will also cause smoke in the exhaust.

Actually took it to work on Friday - first time it’s even been out of the garage in two months. No smoke on startup but the brake pads had stuck to the discs so tightly it wouldn’t move! I left it handbrake off but in gear. I had to rock the car back and forth from the passenger seat!

Today ..I have mostly fitted Red seat belts..£75 a Pair eBay....

Led tail lights with Dynamic indicator ..£400

sprayed my silver side vents black.....ok..i admit it..I'm a BE wanna be ?

Edited by villaman
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, villaman said:

Today ..I have mostly fitted Red seat belts..£75 a Pair eBay....

Led tail lights with Dynamic indicator ..£400

sprayed my silver side vents black.....ok..i admit it..I'm a BE wanna be ?

Excellent we’re they an easy install?  Is the quality as good on the new webbing?  Tempted myself on a pair of these too 

There are a couple of live threads on the go about this...but I was naturally worried about the quality given the price..but I need not have worried...the webbing is I would say OEM...I can't really tell the differnce.

i was about to spunk a lot more on red belts until @Gedo recommended them..cheers dude...and £75 for a pair of re-webbed belts..of this quality...it's a no brainer for anybody in  the market 

Edited by villaman
  • Like 1