What have YOU done to your 986 today ?

Mike G

Interesting a new one starts at £156k before options, but from a quick glance at the configurator most options are already there, so not sure how you'd arrive at nearly a further £60Kish to get near that EUR250k!!  Mind you thats UK prices, but even so the difference is huge - maybe a megga waiting list?  If you're back getting your coolant be interested to see what the options are its got on it - sadly cannot read from the photo.

Having said that, at the Cayenne launch i was shocked to see the Burmester top end audio was a £4.5k option.  I like music and I like quality, but I'd thinking really hard before paying that for a system at home never mind in the car!

Took our latest Boxster purchase, a 2002 2.7l on a longish trip. Very happy with it. Engine feels very good, the shifter is crisp and everything works. DIdn't realize I'd like a 2.7 this much after having owned a S for a year and a half.

Tomorrow I'll be picking up the street rims and tires and mounting them on the S. The track and AX rims with Bridgestone RE-71Rs are waiting for the 2018 events to get going. Still have a long list of work to be done on the S. The critical one is to replace the frunk latch, clean the radiators and work on the shifter. I have new metal bushings. Will see if they make it work smoother. Otherwise I'll have to get to work on the cables.

15 hours ago, RCS said:

Interesting a new one starts at £156k before options, but from a quick glance at the configurator most options are already there, so not sure how you'd arrive at nearly a further £60Kish to get near that EUR250k!!  Mind you thats UK prices, but even so the difference is huge - maybe a megga waiting list?  If you're back getting your coolant be interested to see what the options are its got on it - sadly cannot read from the photo.

Having said that, at the Cayenne launch i was shocked to see the Burmester top end audio was a £4.5k option.  I like music and I like quality, but I'd thinking really hard before paying that for a system at home never mind in the car!

Was back today to get the coolant, 106€ for 8 litres. Did not see your reply until after I was back, so never checked the options list. I did notice today, that it was not brand new and was registered and had done 800km!  Makes the price even more crazy.

Back on the 986, got my coolant in and bled the system (hopefully) wheels on and tested - on my private driveway. All seems good. Shame there is a 2 week waiting list for an "MOT".

Changed the oil. Only 6 months/ 1k miles since the last oil change, but now using the car for work on most days,  so the stuff barely gets up to temperature. I did manage a good run afterwards though, where I was rewarded with that unique Porsche aroma after throughly spanking her bottom ! 

Finally hard wired the dash cam, gave her a wash and removed the hard top, because summer has arrived :rolleyes:

Had to take her for a hood down spin to dry off the brakes of course, first time without the roof/hood since November, its a different car :D

Fitted an OBC and cruise stalk and an ignition live feed for my replacement head unit to the 2003 986S. Like all jobs of this type it takes longer than expected, checking and double checking every connection etc and in this case it proved a wise precaution as the mini harnesses that I bought for the cruise control was wired incorrectly which if I had trusted it blindly would have resulted in a non-functioning cruise and a total dismantle to locate the fault which no doubt would have proved very difficult. Next job is to get the coding done and then install the optical interface unit to see if I can get rid of the old CD radio whilst retaining the power amplifier..

Keith

Got the first time, I’m actually too ashamed to confess what I’ve done to my 986 today... perhaps one day I’ll come clean, but for now, just know it was all in a good cause...?

On 01/04/2018 at 7:02 PM, Madlil said:

Had my wheels refurbed at Platinum Wheels in Leeds and painted the rusted wheel bolts with black hammerite. Looks good for a 14 year old!

Wheel Refurb

Wheel Refurb

Wheel Refurb

Oh you’d never know that was the work of a 14 year old. Great job! ?

• Haha 2

Fitted a yatour Bluetooth unit to the standard becker head unit, so far very happy and very impressed. 

Microphone is hidden behind the grill in the binicle, and the unit it self under the dashboard. It does have the option for usb/aux but I really only want the Bluetooth for calling and music. 

On 4/1/2018 at 7:02 PM, Madlil said:

Had my wheels refurbed at Platinum Wheels in Leeds and painted the rusted wheel bolts with black hammerite. Looks good for a 14 year old!

Wheel Refurb

Wheel Refurb

Wheel Refurb

How much did this cost? I am based in Leeds and am looking at getting mine done.

8 hours ago, Madlil said:

Wheels were £220 inc Vat for 17”. Far cheaper than anywhere else. Took them 2 days. Would definitely recommend - they look brand new.

That's a great price!

A sunny afternoon today! Had to resist going out for a drive and instead give it a good wash after our week up in Sussex as it really was filthy. Deep cleaned and sealed the wheels. Cleaned all the interior and hoovered, then drove it back into the garage in my socks !

8 hours ago, Madlil said:

Wheels were £220 inc Vat for 17”. Far cheaper than anywhere else. Took them 2 days. Would definitely recommend - they look brand new.

Wow that is a bargain ??