981 insurance cover

RBD914 v2

My car is now off stored the road for the Winter and thus subject to a SORN untaxed status, so I can't drive it legally on the road.

However I notice that the motor insurance cover is due for renewal on 7th December, my question is whether it is worth insuring for the Winter, whilst it is parked up, locked and alarmed in a secure garage attached to my house?

I guess it us unlikely to get stolen or damaged unless a fire breaks out, but how likely is that?

Also, If I left it uninsured until 1st April, would I still be able to use my accrued 10 years No Claims Discount?

Can you get motor insurance policies that only run for 6 months?

Thoughts ?

If you're with a good insurer then you can drop the cover to 'laid up' for the time you're not using it.  They will often extend the insurance to more than a year to account for the lower risk while the car is off the road.

Careful about letting your policy lapse and then renewing later.  I did that once, and the insurance company wanted nearly double the money when I tried to re-insure the car.  
It turns out that there's a high incidence of car insurances lapsing, then new policies being taken out just before cars are involved in total losses through fire or theft - and a lapsed policy statistically points to people who have run into financial problems rather than unhinged people who insist on having more vehicles than they can regularly use. :blink: 

6 minutes ago, RBD914 v2 said:

I guess it us unlikely to get stolen or damaged unless a fire breaks out, but how likely is that?

This can't be that rare an eventuality so I'd describe to your insurer what you're doing and see what they suggest.

Most of the things that you buy insurance for are not very likely :) I'd still prefer for it to be insured if it was mine. Surely worth at least getting a quote for Third Party Fire & Theft cover only? (with as low a mileage limit as they will let you specify - try 0 miles!) You need to make sure you're happy with the consequences of not having comprehensive cover though - say if something happened in your house (other than a fire) which damaged your car eg a flood or something falling over in the garage. Possibly unlikely and perhaps not worth paying for comp cover for, but you need to be aware you wouldn't be covered for this as your household policy almost certainly wouldn't pay for damage to a vehicle. You could also ask for a quote for comprehensive cover but again with as low a mileage limit as they will allow you to specify.

I think with most companies you would need to take out an annual policy and then either cancel it, or alter the basis of the cover after the 6 months - it would be worth checking now that they would allow a change as significant as from 3rd party to fully comp, and they will almost certainly make an admin charge for the change. Not sure about the NCD situation - also worth checking that with them. I think it should be fine if you just had 3rd party cover for 6 months, but not sure of you let the insurance lapse for a period, which as Araf says could also have other consequences too.

Sorry, I forgot to say about the NCD.  It lasts for 2 years after the renewal, then becomes null and void, so yes, you would be able to use your NCB in 6 months time.

I was told by my insurance co. (Admiral) that you cannot improve on 9 years NCD, at least premium wise. Although I have heard of a 9 years+ rating but that's it, no cheaper for 10 years...

As for the insurance cover, time you paid an admin fee, I would Personally keep it insured, even though I wasn't driving it, because as Jon61 rightly points out there's always Something that can happen even in a locked garage.?

I have toyed with the idea before also but the premium that I am paying for the 'Black Pearl' is now less than my daily driver :huh: and it just isn't worth the hassle or the mainly the worry.

Thought the roads might have been cleaned up with all the rain we have had, for what looks like a nice weekend, but the Gritters have been out again :wacko:  

My porker is 750 a year with 12 years no claims, male 38yrs old.

my new dog walking beater ( 2007 Ford Focus )  is 900 a year as I cannot apply no claims to it.

Out of interest does anyone run their cars thru a company car policy, I keep meaning to look into it as you only need 3 cars apparently.

Crikey Rufus, do you live in Beirut? You should be able to do better than that. I have the 981 with Porsche/Aviva/Marsh and its £310 and I have the 986 on a second cover with A plan (they didn't need to use my 9 years+ no-claims they just needed evidence that I had it) at £160.

Do you shop around or just stay with the same company?

1 hour ago, topradio said:

Crikey Rufus, do you live in Beirut? You should be able to do better than that. I have the 981 with Porsche/Aviva/Marsh and its £310 and I have the 986 on a second cover with A plan (they didn't need to use my 9 years+ no-claims they just needed evidence that I had it) at £160.

Do you shop around or just stay with the same company?

I live in Bolton, it's shocking for insurance and home to the biggest accident claims company in the U.K. .... Panorama filmed a documentary here a few years ago about cash for crash it's that bad.  beruit is probably a little better for driving, if my mum didn't live here I'd have fled a long time ago lol.  I had a bunch of born losers trying to get me to go into the back of them a few days ago, they take their bulbs out of the brake lights and slam on in front of you hoping you will rear end them.  Good job my brakes are better than a Nissan primeras with 5 fat dole dossers in it haha. 

I always used confused to get the best quotes so I don't think I can get much better, although I'm near renewal so going to try Porsche for a quote this time around

8 minutes ago, topradio said:

Aah!  Notlob. I understand your predicament. I originate from a place with a similar reputation so as soon as I escaped I resolved to never return. 

Yeah it's a shocker

interestingly today in the Bolton news its come out that Bolton council has given the accident claims company a 300k grant so they stay in the town centre, it will prob make the national press tomorrow, 450 ambulance chasers, the boss is a multi millionaire, has 3 lambos and owns 7 petrol stations as well as the law firm.... yet Bolton council gives them 300 grand to do up their offices under the emergency funds provision.  You couldn't make it up haha

crazy world however I'm really going off topic here so apologies 

• 3 weeks later...

I have it SORN'd now too .. however, I'm with Huytonman, whilst I considered dropping the insurance, it just isn't worth the risk ! So I've left it insured ... I'll probably UNSORN it on March 1st in any case ... out of curiosity ... when do people tend do SORN their cars, Dec 1st to Feb 28th ? 3 months off the road and hence 9 months on ?

Not insuring is a risk, maybe small but house fires happen, people steal cars to order, even those in garages. Not covering it depends on your appetite to risk I guess.

Even when I had the kit car, which had no roof or heating I used to keep it taxed and insured all year round for the minimal saving in sorn'ing it for 6 months compared to the grin factor of the odd fresh winter drive out, it was negligible. Took my Boxster to work today and even came home with the roof down. Much more fun than the boring old commuter hack.

NCB stays live for 2 years as said above and if you find a decent broker they can sometimes work their magic on 2 cars and NCB usage and find a reasonable underwriter....I'm with A-Plan

Minimal saving? Well let's see insurance at £48 per month and Road Fund Licence at £30 per month works out at nearly £500 over 6 months...seems quite substantial to me! Particularly when the car is sat in the garage over the Winter anyway.

9 hours ago, RBD914 v2 said:

Minimal saving? Well let's see insurance at £48 per month and Road Fund Licence at £30 per month works out at nearly £500 over 6 months...seems quite substantial to me! Particularly when the car is sat in the garage over the Winter anyway.

As I wouldn't risk leaving mine un-insured, even if it was stored in the garage, then the £22 a month road tax would only make me a saving of about £130 over the 6 months sorn so compared to the drives I've already had in Nov and Dec this year it's quite a minimal saving for me and I'd rather use it. 

Tax'd & insured all yr round... A nice drive on a sunny crisp January morning with the top dwn is refreshing :)

11 minutes ago, mrbikerdood said:

Tax'd & insured all yr round... A nice drive on a sunny crisp January morning with the top dwn is refreshing :)

Absolutely...as long as the sun is shining, who cares about the cold...that's what heated seats are for!

There's nothing wrong with SORNing your car if you don't think you'll be using it for a few months.  It's so easy now, when the weather is too tempting, to just re-tax it on-line and go for a drive. :plane:

2 hours ago, Daniel Joseph said:

Absolutely...as long as the sun is shining, who cares about the cold...that's what heated seats are for!

Absolutely. ..and scarfs/bobble hats you get given to you by your kids for crimbo :)

Archived