Boxster newbie

big mike

Long time lurker looking for some input,

Ive been offered an early(1997) Boxster 2.5 which had been imported from Brunei ,

Its 90k on it, new brakes,new rear window and 1 yrs mot,hard top

now im not very clued up on them and was initially looking for a TT but I really like the idea of a Boxster ,

car is up at £3795 and not sure if this is good given its warmer origin and hard top(also it's winter) and would appreciate any thoughts on price and also what to look out for.

thanks in advance

mike

Hard top is worth £500 on its own, so could be sold or run through winter months. The mileage isn't high and is sensible for the age. It's all down to the condition and the additional suspension/transmission maintenance that's been done over basic servicing.

plenty 3.2s on ebay starting at about 4500 pounds  , a 2.5 for 3795  and 1997  personally I wouldn't touch it as 2.5 is a bit gutless no matter what condition

3 hours ago, kev911 said:

plenty 3.2s on ebay starting at about 4500 pounds  , a 2.5 for 3795  and 1997  personally I wouldn't touch it as 2.5 is a bit gutless no matter what condition

Gutless?

About as gutless as any none turbo Porsche from the 90s or earlier

Welcome Mike. The conundrums of Porsche ownership are many without considering imports, clearly you are a man who likes a challenge.  Very difficult to be objective about it, have you looked at other Boxsters to be able to form an opinion on it. You can check the MOT history on line at DVLA might show something, sorry I can't be more help.

9 hours ago, cj225 said:

Gutless?

About as gutless as any none turbo Porsche from the 90s or earlier

yep gutless compared to 2.7 or 3.2  

9 minutes ago, mike597 said:

Interesting first two posts, perhaps be an idea to introduce yourself before wading into battle.

no battle mate  , why would you pay nearly 4 grand for an import 1997 Porsche boxster 2.5  when its not much more for a  newer 2.7 or 3.2s that's what  I'm trying to get across , just a point of view

1 hour ago, Topbox said:

Welcome Mike. The conundrums of Porsche ownership are many without considering imports, clearly you are a man who likes a challenge.  Very difficult to be objective about it, have you looked at other Boxsters to be able to form an opinion on it. You can check the MOT history on line at DVLA might show something, sorry I can't be more help.

well said mate  

2 minutes ago, kev911 said:

no battle mate  , why would you pay nearly 4 grand for a 1997 Porsche boxster 2.5  when its not much more for a  newer 2.7 or 3.2s that's what  I'm trying to get across , just a point of view

I'm not saying your view is either right or wrong, but it helps to cement a view if you put into into context by introducing yourself and your experience with these cars.

12 minutes ago, mike597 said:

I'm not saying your view is either right or wrong, but it helps to cement a view if you put into into context by introducing yourself and your experience with these cars.

owned a 2.5 a few years back and found it to be a good car  but a bit underpowered for what it was , moved on to a 2.7 for 3 years that was a totally different car with plenty power and acceleration  couldn't fault it , now running a 3.2 s  with manual box ,  again a brilliant car  and very quick ,  wouldn't swap it for anything ,  if my previous posts  were a bit too harsh I'm just going by my previous experiances  with my own cars ive owned  over the last decade or so

Well, this philistine has just found that Brunei is in the jungle not the desert, so we can scrap the sand concern :blush:

Current owner 8 years sounds hopeful.  I wonder if it was serviced by OPC Brunei as there can't be that many independents around?

@big mike, have you driven it? That is surely a key factor, if you've no experience of these cars. You can then decide for yourself if a) that particular car seems fine, b ) you are content with the power available. Do note that the flat six engine is has one personality below 4k rpm (rather docile) and another in the 4-6k rev range when warm (where did that come from?). Also note that Porsche brakes are not servo-assisted, so you'll start by thinking the brakes don't work and are rubbish, but get on a straight road and stand on them and you should realise they're extremely effective.

There are several cars for sale around that price range, some have more bhp, others are more reliable, then we get into IMS bearings and gear ratios discussions... go for a decent drive in it and see what you think.

55 minutes ago, Menoporsche said:

Well, this philistine has just found that Brunei is in the jungle not the desert, so we can scrap the sand concern :blush:

Current owner 8 years sounds hopeful.  I wonder if it was serviced by OPC Brunei as there can't be that many independents around?

@big mike, have you driven it? That is surely a key factor, if you've no experience of these cars. You can then decide for yourself if a) that particular car seems fine, b ) you are content with the power available. Do note that the flat six engine is has one personality below 4k rpm (rather docile) and another in the 4-6k rev range when warm (where did that come from?). Also note that Porsche brakes are not servo-assisted, so you'll start by thinking the brakes don't work and are rubbish, but get on a straight road and stand on them and you should realise they're extremely effective.

There are several cars for sale around that price range, some have more bhp, others are more reliable, then we get into IMS bearings and gear ratios discussions... go for a decent drive in it and see what you think.

learn something new every day, eh?  ;)

Thanks for all the help, my hope is to get it closer to £3k,

i know there's faster ones out there but if I wanted a fast Porsche I guess I would be looking at 911 etc,

this is to be a cheap fun car that Im not scared to drive as I have old Fords that are garage queens,

on the import side, my thoughts were that at almost 20 years old rust will start to be an issue so an imported one should have faired better, I imported a cosworth from Aus and its definetly worth looking at something that has come from a warmer climate .

36 minutes ago, big mike said:

Thanks for all the help, my hope is to get it closer to £3k,

i know there's faster ones out there but if I wanted a fast Porsche I guess I would be looking at 911 etc,

this is to be a cheap fun car that Im not scared to drive as I have old Fords that are garage queens,

on the import side, my thoughts were that at almost 20 years old rust will start to be an issue so an imported one should have faired better, I imported a cosworth from Aus and its definetly worth looking at something that has come from a warmer climate .

I wouldn't worry - the 2.5 isn't "underpowered".   There are many advantages to an early model 986 (of which all 2.5s are early) including less weaknesses (dual row IMS) and cheaper to maintain (they don't need type approved cats and half the amount of O2 sensors), plus £60 a year less to tax (pre-2001).

The 2.5 also has a cable throttle, stronger gearbox, and I think is a bit lighter.  I'll get told off for saying it, but you can also get over 40mpg in one on a run :P

I find it quite interesting how plenty of folk will try and make out the margin between a 2.5 and an 'S' is like a 1.1 vs a 2.0 - Yes, a 3.2 is quicker than a 2.7, which is quicker than a 2.5 - but there are pros and cons to each variation. 

Although I wouldn't be tempted by an imported car unless it was dirt cheap, it's always better to buy a good example of a car in your budget, rather than a cheap example of a higher bracket, if that makes sense.  If you look at the 'Poverty Pork' thread on Pistonheads, there are plenty of examples of how it can go wrong

Although I cannot disagree with the pluses and the minuses with the comments I personally would hold back for a 3.2 S, and to keep it in your budget nothing wrong with a Cat D, if the repairs are documented.

21 hours ago, big mike said:

Aye that's me bud, really liked your car but over what I wanted to pay.

And your Porsche is stunning

Thanks very much Mike. I must say I'm loving it myself.

You never know, if nothing happens in the next few weeks, then I guess the asking price will start to head south, if you haven't found anything else.

I own and drive a manual 2.5 986 and find that as my use is for mainly spirited weekend drives, the car delivers a superb amount of power relative to the capability of the chassis on twisty "fun" roads. 

I regularly ride out with larger capacity Boxsters with more bhp and more gears , including @bally4563.

check the threads I start EVERY WEEK in the meets and track days forum, and ask any of the regulars if I hold them up at all?. 

If you're buying the car for driving pleasure, Porsche took the guesswork out of it for you, and only put suitable engines in ALL their cars. 

http://vid300.photobucket.com/albums/nn38/robh_52/Porsche/GoForIt-Clip2.mp4 

the clip above is my 986 2.5. Filmed from a 15 plate 981 with PSE.

? You decide if power?? matters...

Put another way:

if point and squirt down the straights (like the guys at the drag strip) is your thing.  Go for big power.

if finding ways to carry corner speed and negotiate obstacles (like racing drivers) is your thing, just find a well set up, cared for car. The engine won't be a limiting factor. 

My nitrous days are behind me. Now I prefer the latter challenge. 

You also have to bear in mind if it's there you want to find it ? Hence my progression to find it,and I take on board Loz,s comments, how drive able these cars are, but myself personally I like disco trousers, don't wear them much, but when you do you find a crisp £20 in the back pocket you forgot about!!!! A bit like having that extra shout in the throttle.

Archived