718 Ordered Today

Whaleblue

And the LEDs have auto-dipping and some kind of range control.

In all honesty I've not seen the difference on the 718, but I've heard good things (including some comments on here), so decided to go with it.

And they do look cool. B)

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 10/12/2016 at 10:18 PM, Whaleblue said:

As I get older the more I appreciate good headlights!

Should be picking it up by mid-March. Dealer seems very confident on the build date to delivery timeframe at three weeks or so, I assume that's par for the course?

I waited about 7 months for mine from order to pick up. Three weeks is about right from build to showroom though.

3 hours ago, Happy Days said:

I waited about 7 months for mine from order to pick up. Three weeks is about right from build to showroom though.

Thanks. The dealer is a very nice chap, and I have no reason not to believe his estimate, but it's always good to hear other's experiences.

On 10/12/2016 at 7:20 PM, r1flyguy said:

Do you think you really need the Porsche Connect plus option??? It seems an expensive gimmick unless you are really going to spend a lot of time playing with your phone and wofi devices!

I can see its use in a family SUV/saloon but not a sports car but maybe you have specific needs for this :)

Apologies, I missed this post before.

Yes, I think we'll use it quite a lot on weekends away, at home and maybe across the pond (if we're still allowed). I'm on the lookout for a good long term high limit data-only sim deal if anyone knows of a good one!

27 minutes ago, Whaleblue said:

Apologies, I missed this post before.

Yes, I think we'll use it quite a lot on weekends away, at home and maybe across the pond (if we're still allowed). I'm on the lookout for a good long term high limit data-only sim deal if anyone knows of a good one!

Ee were doing half price for the first 3 months last month....that I use in my cars for Spotify.  I'm paying about 25 quid for a 8gb plan that is purely left in the glove box of the 981.  12 quid a month for the first 3 months.  Got it in a old iPhone 5s in the glove box.  Only downside is it runs out of juice if I don't drive the car for 3 days. And then takes 15 mins to,power back up. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 26/11/2016 at 2:03 PM, Whaleblue said:

Hello all,

I'll keep this short as I can, but hello and when you read this, please just accept it as my subjective impressions.

Today I went to my local OPC to test drive the 718. I was close to buying a TTS, but something had told me it wasn't really the car I was hankering after. A little quieter than the Boxster, a tad more comfortable for the weekends away we plan for now the kids have grown up, but it wasn't firing me up the way a £40k plus purchase simply has to. So, I decided I had to try a Boxster. I'd been in a couple of the originals over the years, and loved them, but wasn't quite sold for their being too noisy, and a little cramped.

I'd read a lot about the new engine, and it's obviously a bit like marmite, to say the least. So, I arranged for a back to back 718/981 test drive.

718 first. Oh my god. This car is just about perfect. Yes, at idle it could sound better, but it quitens down once cruising a 50-70mph. And for all the 'sounds boring with no real dynamics at the top end' comments I'd read, I have to disagree. At full chat it really wakes up and barks at you. Steering, handling and ride were phenomenal. Oh, and throttle response is just perfect. You want to go 5-10mph faster? A gentle squeeze of the right foot and it 'knows'.

We were out for about an hour and a half. Back in to switch to the 981. Well, this car just sounds fundamentally different at idle, and at full chat. It's almost whisper quiet at idle, and I don't need to tell you what the NA F6 sounds like when awoken. But. Here's the rub. The throttle response just isn't as communicative as it is in the 718. And the ride is just a bit choppy (compared to the 718). However it was on 20"'s, whereas the 718 was on 19"'s. In order to compare apples with apples on return to the dealership we switched to a 718 on 20"'s. Firmer than the 19"'s but still more compliant than the 981 in my assessment.

Other differences? The new steering ratio and geometry is a worthwhile improvement.

Aesthetics? Either looks superb.

For me the 718 is the better car. Yes it doesn't sound quite as good as the F6, but to me it's a close call, and more about different than out and out better. I know long standing purists would string me up for saying it, and I can see why some (many!) prefer the 981.

718 ordered, for a March delivery.

Thanks for taking the time to read this, and I'll try to take any response, positive or negative, in good grace!

That's a nice summary and I would echo your points. Having driven 911s and Boxsters at Silverstone I had my heart set on a 991.2 for my next Porsche. Before doing the deal with my OPC I decided to look at the 718 Boxster S to see if I could justify the price difference but struggled.

I may again pine for a 911 at some point in the future but right now I am really happy with the Boxster S. I got that awesome graphite blue colour people on here are so taken with.

Well, having spent Christmas wondering if I should have gone the whole hog, yesterday I contacted my dealer and left a message to see whether I had any options left open to me. The General Sales Manager called me back an hour later (my Salesman was still enjoying his break), and was told 'no problem', they'd happily take my base car into stock, and a test drive of an S was duly arranged.

I drove it and the base back to back for a couple of hours. To me, the S has a slightly more grown-up feel to it. Decidedly quicker, and more even through the rev range, which I liked. Oddly it's also quite a bit quieter at low speed/idle, but has a deeper growl when pushed over 4000rpm.

I'd also specced a few things on the base that are standard on the S, so the £9000 difference was eroded quite a bit. I then removed ACC (due to comments on another forum), and ditched auto-dim mirror/wipers (thanks to input from @Happy Days), instead speccing Sports Chrono to add to the shift towards a sportier ride. FWIW, I suspect the S with around £8K of extras will fair slightly better in depreciation terms than the base I'd added £10K to (ignoring the £2K PDK, which I'd suggest is not an option in the same way as most others are).

With luck and a following wind the car might still squeeze in to a March delivery, but if not, I don't really mind. Perhaps an indicator of how pleased I am to be getting the 2.5 motor :)

Thanks, I think it'll be worth it, and in six, maybe ten, years I hope I'll still feel I made the right decision.

I should have said above, huge thanks for stunning service throughout from my OPC - Reading. A fantastic purchasing experience.

Your car will be allotted to someone behind you on the list that has gone for a non-S.  I think it has just happened to a friend, on his Cayman order, which has just jumed forward by a couple of months. :)

6 hours ago, Whaleblue said:

Well, having spent Christmas wondering if I should have gone the whole hog, yesterday I contacted my dealer and left a message to see whether I had any options left open to me. The General Sales Manager called me back an hour later (my Salesman was still enjoying his break), and was told 'no problem', they'd happily take my base car into stock, and a test drive of an S was duly arranged.

I drove it and the base back to back for a couple of hours. To me, the S has a slightly more grown-up feel to it. Decidedly quicker, and more even through the rev range, which I liked. Oddly it's also quite a bit quieter at low speed/idle, but has a deeper growl when pushed over 4000rpm.

I'd also specced a few things on the base that are standard on the S, so the £9000 difference was eroded quite a bit. I then removed ACC (due to comments on another forum), and ditched auto-dim mirror/wipers (thanks to input from @Happy Days), instead speccing Sports Chrono to add to the shift towards a sportier ride. FWIW, I suspect the S with around £8K of extras will fair slightly better in depreciation terms than the base I'd added £10K to (ignoring the £2K PDK, which I'd suggest is not an option in the same way as most others are).

With luck and a following wind the car might still squeeze in to a March delivery, but if not, I don't really mind. Perhaps an indicator of how pleased I am to be getting the 2.5 motor :)

Sounds great. Congratulations and looking forward to your positive feedback after delivery. 

On 31/12/2016 at 7:53 PM, Araf said:

Your car will be allotted to someone behind you on the list that has gone for a non-S.  I think it has just happened to a friend, on his Cayman order, which has just jumed forward by a couple of months. :)

As long as they were happy with the spec? - it had entered lockdown.

On 01/01/2017 at 1:59 AM, rowbos said:

Sounds great. Congratulations and looking forward to your positive feedback after delivery. 

Thanks. Yes, I'll post a review, and pictures (though it's the fairly common Agate w/ Black interior) when I get it.

40 minutes ago, Whaleblue said:

As long as they were happy with the spec? - it had entered lockdown.

I think your spec was quite conservative, so they won't have trouble shifting it - you might even find that it has already been re-allocated.  Imagine the call: -

"Hello Mr Smith.  We've just had a cancelled order become available, which is very similar to your spec.  You'll have to do without cup holders but it does have sound package plus.  For the difference in price of £1.50 per week you can have it two months earlier."

The OPC then have another early slot available with options that can be altered. :)

On 12/10/2016 at 6:30 PM, Whaleblue said:

Two-tone leather with Sports Plus seats was going to get expensive, and I was not 100% sure anyway. So, black, black, black...

Yes, I tried to convince myself that the 18" wheels would be fine (preferred the 'Cayman' ones of those), but the looks and the fact I loved the ride/handling of the 19" test drive meant I had to pull that particular trigger!

I believe that only the full LED lights get the four-point running lights. They are LED in all cases though.

I could be wrong but you seem to have specified the leather trim strips (cup holder area and across the font to the other side of steering wheel)...i.e. ONLY the trim strips in leather where you haven't got leather on the dash or door cards at all...the confuserator isn't easy to follow especially when it comes to the 'leather' options but it's an odd option to take for £417 if you haven't got the rest too!

it states: 'Smooth-finish leather in interior colour: dashboard trim strip including cupholder cover and centre console trim.(In conjunction with leather interior: door panel trim strips also with smooth-finish leather in interior colour)'

1 hour ago, boxsternoob56 said:

I could be wrong but you seem to have specified the leather trim strips (cup holder area and across the font to the other side of steering wheel)...i.e. ONLY the trim strips in leather where you haven't got leather on the dash or door cards at all...the confuserator isn't easy to follow especially when it comes to the 'leather' options but it's an odd option to take for £417 if you haven't got the rest too!

it states: 'Smooth-finish leather in interior colour: dashboard trim strip including cupholder cover and centre console trim.(In conjunction with leather interior: door panel trim strips also with smooth-finish leather in interior colour)'

Totally agree with you on the Leather Options confusion! you have to be so careful, I didn't pay as much attention as required to my 981 spec, I went for part leather, and have got leather/standard finish interior, it sort of looks ok, but I still wish I had either gone no extra leather or full leather, for future spec, part leather is definitely a No option!!!

55 minutes ago, UkHawks said:

Totally agree with you on the Leather Options confusion! you have to be so careful, I didn't pay as much attention as required to my 981 spec, I went for part leather, and have got leather/standard finish interior, it sort of looks ok, but I still wish I had either gone no extra leather or full leather, for future spec, part leather is definitely a No option!!!

'Full' leather is better, even though it isn't actually full leather....on the 981 an S had leather to handle tops, glovebox lid and centre console lid and full (or extended?) gave it to door cards and dash top too (although still not full dash, vents or trim strips amongst other things)

As @SFO said a long time ago (and I dont know if the configurator would be the same now) but opting for leather on door cards and dash lifts the interior to more premium and used to cost about £1000....for me I would scrap the trim strips and spend the money plus any extra to get that instead...

...its in the 'Interior colours & seats' options...

I think you add (please check for yourself!)

'Leather Interior and Leather Seats' option plus re-add the 'Sports Seats Plus' (as the change in interior deletes it otherwise) giving:

Smooth-finish leather in interior colour: dashboard upper section including airbag cover, airbag module, instrument shroud, dashboard lower section (three-part) including glove compartment cover, door panel upper sections, door centre panels, door panel armrests, door pulls, centre console main storage compartment lid, centre console side sections, seat bases, seat centres, seat bolsters and headrests. All leather items in smooth-finish leather. Door panel trim strips in Galvano Silver

Takes cost from £55054 to £55861

You'd also have to re-add the trim strips if you wanted that too...I know you can keep going with options and everybody's choice is different but IMHO that extra £800 is worth it...it costs 1.5% more of the price but adds 20% more premium feel to the car

2 hours ago, boxsternoob56 said:

'Full' leather is better, even though it isn't actually full leather....on the 981 an S had leather to handle tops, glovebox lid and centre console lid and full (or extended?) gave it to door cards and dash top too (although still not full dash, vents or trim strips amongst other things)

As @SFO said a long time ago (and I dont know if the configurator would be the same now) but opting for leather on door cards and dash lifts the interior to more premium and used to cost about £1000....for me I would scrap the trim strips and spend the money plus any extra to get that instead...

...its in the 'Interior colours & seats' options...

I think you add (please check for yourself!)

'Leather Interior and Leather Seats' option plus re-add the 'Sports Seats Plus' (as the change in interior deletes it otherwise) giving:

Smooth-finish leather in interior colour: dashboard upper section including airbag cover, airbag module, instrument shroud, dashboard lower section (three-part) including glove compartment cover, door panel upper sections, door centre panels, door panel armrests, door pulls, centre console main storage compartment lid, centre console side sections, seat bases, seat centres, seat bolsters and headrests. All leather items in smooth-finish leather. Door panel trim strips in Galvano Silver

Takes cost from £55054 to £55861

You'd also have to re-add the trim strips if you wanted that too...I know you can keep going with options and everybody's choice is different but IMHO that extra £800 is worth it...it costs 1.5% more of the price but adds 20% more premium feel to the car

My next Interior Spec (well in my dreams) Leather Interior/Leather Seats, Sports Seats + (18 way electric),  then in Leather Interior: Dash Board Trim, Door Trim, Porsche Crest in Head Rests, Sports Seat + Backs in Leather (only because IMO the silver grey backs look a little bit tacky) the exclusive Leather Package is also ok, but you do loose the silver trims etc. that I would rather keep.

Light Design Package is a very nice touch, (no lights in sun visors without it) so are the Stainless Steel Illuminated Door Sill Guards, and the Auto Dimming Mirrors is a must TBH.

Any Brushed Aluminium is a big No IMO, it clashes with the existing silver trim.

10 hours ago, lordlee said:

You can always get it wrapped in something a bit livelier if you get bored...

porsche-boxster-981-12-current-24v-pdk-S

Love that colour! :)

Archived