718 Ordered Today

Whaleblue

Hello all,

I'll keep this short as I can, but hello and when you read this, please just accept it as my subjective impressions.

Today I went to my local OPC to test drive the 718. I was close to buying a TTS, but something had told me it wasn't really the car I was hankering after. A little quieter than the Boxster, a tad more comfortable for the weekends away we plan for now the kids have grown up, but it wasn't firing me up the way a £40k plus purchase simply has to. So, I decided I had to try a Boxster. I'd been in a couple of the originals over the years, and loved them, but wasn't quite sold for their being too noisy, and a little cramped.

I'd read a lot about the new engine, and it's obviously a bit like marmite, to say the least. So, I arranged for a back to back 718/981 test drive.

718 first. Oh my god. This car is just about perfect. Yes, at idle it could sound better, but it quitens down once cruising a 50-70mph. And for all the 'sounds boring with no real dynamics at the top end' comments I'd read, I have to disagree. At full chat it really wakes up and barks at you. Steering, handling and ride were phenomenal. Oh, and throttle response is just perfect. You want to go 5-10mph faster? A gentle squeeze of the right foot and it 'knows'.

We were out for about an hour and a half. Back in to switch to the 981. Well, this car just sounds fundamentally different at idle, and at full chat. It's almost whisper quiet at idle, and I don't need to tell you what the NA F6 sounds like when awoken. But. Here's the rub. The throttle response just isn't as communicative as it is in the 718. And the ride is just a bit choppy (compared to the 718). However it was on 20"'s, whereas the 718 was on 19"'s. In order to compare apples with apples on return to the dealership we switched to a 718 on 20"'s. Firmer than the 19"'s but still more compliant than the 981 in my assessment.

Other differences? The new steering ratio and geometry is a worthwhile improvement.

Aesthetics? Either looks superb.

For me the 718 is the better car. Yes it doesn't sound quite as good as the F6, but to me it's a close call, and more about different than out and out better. I know long standing purists would string me up for saying it, and I can see why some (many!) prefer the 981.

718 ordered, for a March delivery.

Thanks for taking the time to read this, and I'll try to take any response, positive or negative, in good grace!

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Firstly welcome, a most impressive first post and I have no arguments with your conclusions. Presumably you have worked out your specification for the car so please let us have the details and out curiosity which OPC did you use?

Welcome!

Great write up and a really interesting take on the 718. You are clearly  enthused and it sounds a fantastic car.

There are lots of opinions but the only one that counts, as its your car, is yours.  Cars like these are to be driven and enjoyed.

Look forward to seeing the car at one of the BoXa meets!

Welcome and congratulations on a great choice of car. I haven't driven the 718 yet but I'm sure that it doesn't deserve the criticism it receives from some quarters. I prefer the look of the 981 but if that car didn't exist I suspect that I would absolutely love the 718.

Enjoy (when you get it)

10 minutes ago, Kevin G said:

Firstly welcome, a most impressive first post and I have no arguments with your conclusions. Presumably you have worked out your specification for the car so please let us have the details and out curiosity which OPC did you use?

When I saw this Kevin, as a headline before I got into the thread, I thought it was you that had bought a 718!

Thanks all for the welcome.

My OPC is Reading. Lovely folk (for salesmen :)). A genuinely pleasant, unrushed experience, and having a 'driver', rather than salesman, to go out with is a nice touch. FWIW the driver, who was down from the Porsche Silverstone centre (what a job!), says he prefers the 981 on the track, but felt that as a road car the 718 might just have the upper hand. Diplomacy at its best!

I now have to spec the car (I think I have at least two to three weeks). It is to be a base (non-S) car, and I have a few strong ideas, but interested in what folk here like, and equally feel is not worth the money.

There's only one colour to have, but they don't make that any more ;)

If I was specking a base car I would probably go for a Guards Red car with a manual box & leather seats and almost nothing else.

Are you thinking that way or are you thinking of lots of extra's?

Very good first post and an intelligent assessment of both.  I'm glad they took you out in a 718 on 20s, just to check - it shows they did pay attention to what you were saying, rather than just pushing an order sheet in your direction.

Welcome to the site. :) 

I'm thinking...

PDK. No debate here for me, personally.

Likely Jet Black or Agate Grey. 19" wheels. Would like to be daring with Lava Orange, but... I'm not that brave.

Satnav, park assist, PAS cruise, auto dim mirror and wipers, 2-zone climate. DAB (pointless anywhere other than in a car, where it really comes into its own for those of us that like Radio 5 and 6).

Heated seats and steering wheeel (the smaller GT one). I put the roof down on a convertible whenever it's not raining!

As an iPhone user (more controversy!) I'm wondering how useful the Connect Plus is?

Also considering the LED lights and the upgraded seats.

I'd like to keep the overall price not too far north of £50k, but this intended as a long term keeper - my 'last hurrah' if you will, so don't want to skimp as I hope at least I'll be the one getting the benefit of the toys for all that time!

20 minutes ago, topradio said:

There's only one colour to have, but they don't make that any more ;)

If I was specking a base car I would probably go for a Guards Red car with a manual box & leather seats and almost nothing else.

Are you thinking that way or are you thinking of lots of extra's?

that surprises me you'd say that Eddie....no need to expand as I dont want to take the OP#s thread off at a tangent... just thought I'd say :)

6 minutes ago, Whaleblue said:

I'm thinking...

PDK. No debate here for me, personally.

Likely Jet Black or Agate Grey. 19" wheels. Would like to be daring with Lava Orange, but... I'm not that brave.

Satnav, park assist, PAS cruise, auto dim mirror and wipers, 2-zone climate.

Heated seats and steering wheeel (the smaller GT one). I put the roof down on a convertible whenever it's not raining!

As an iPhone user (more controversy!) I'm wondering how useful the Connect Plus is?

Also considering the LED lights and the upgraded seats.

I'd like to keep the overall price not too far north of £50k, but this intended as a long term keeper - my 'last hurrah' if you will, so don't want to skimp as I hope at least I'll be the one getting the benefit of the toys for all that time!

well done that man and its good you could drive both the 718 and 981 to help you decide...

question is did any of the cars have PASM? as that would affect the ride as much as 19/20 inch wheels...ie if the 718 with 20's had PASM and the 718 with 19's didnt, then it wouldn't surprise me if they felt similar (ish).

Welcome to the Boxster club and to the forum; looking forward to the spec and in due course to the photos. But it's going to be a long wait ...

21 minutes ago, Whaleblue said:

My OPC is Reading. Lovely folk (for salesmen :)). A genuinely pleasant, unrushed experience, and having a 'driver', rather than salesman, to go out with is a nice touch. FWIW the driver, who was down from the Porsche Silverstone centre (what a job!), says he prefers the 981 on the track, but felt that as a road car the 718 might just have the upper hand. Diplomacy at its best!

When I did the Porsche Experience at Silverstone (which you should get in due course too BTW), my instructor - might have been the same chap - told me that he regularly worked at the Reading and Guildford OPCs, taking people out at weekends to free up their salespeople. He was by far more knowledgeable about Porsches than any of the sales people I have ever dealt with at Guildford OPC (my local), though I've never seen him there. Mind you, I've always reckoned that they hardly need salesfolk at a Porsche dealership in Surrey - I think the cars just sell themselves and the salemen just sit around drinking coffee.

I won't intervene in the argument discussion over the spec (you'll get enough input from others ... ) other than to say - Go on, get the Lava Orange, we need some more bright colours! :lol:

16 minutes ago, Whaleblue said:

Oh, and I'd like to see a car with the red hood 'in the the flesh'. From the configurator pics it looks good on the Jet Black, especially when down where it adds a splash of colour, just not sure about when it's up.

Red hood looks good up or down in my (unbiased haha!) opinion, especially on silver, but also on black. I hardly have any photos with the roof up, but found these two - one in the showroom under artificial light:

IMG_0333_zps7q913mpo.jpg

The second during the period where I had an 'overlap' ...

IMG_4055e_zpst7dm3lok.jpg

Jason on the forum has a red roof on a black 986, and I think he posted a pic recently of it ... found it, here goes:

E255CE89-95D8-4F13-BA73-2CD0014A3FA8.jpg 

My manual 718 is sapphire blue, with a blue roof and has the following options. 

Blue leather interior (it didn't look right with black), multifunction steering wheel, heated!!, heated seats, auto wipers, auto dipping mirrors, f+r parking sensors, cruise control, dab radio, apple car play, folding mirrors, power steering plus, coloured wheel centres. Came in at £57k. 

Been driving a loan car for the past few days with PDK, sport chrono, LED lights, PASM nav, radar cruise control, reversing camera. 

TBH, I don't like PDK, I don't do track days and therefore chrono and pasm seem pretty pointless to me. I can't really see any difference in the lights (2k!!!) and the reversing camera is useless as the lens gets dirty and you can't see anything! Mind you, it is particularly dirty weather, but I wouldn't spec it. 

Depends what you want yours for. 

The only thing that I like is the radar cc. Our other car has it and I love it, but didn't spec it on the 718 because I don't do a lot of motorway driving in it. Nice, but not at that price. 

You can really go crazy with the options. And end up with a car in 911territory. 

@Jon61 Thanks, especially for the pics.

@Happy Days Thanks. Yes, I'm concerned about spending S money on a base car. PDK is a must for me.  I hated 'slush box' autos back in the day, but these modern automated dual-clutch jobs are just phenomenal. The flappy paddles are fun too, and I like the way they can be used as a temporary override whilst staying in auto. Feedback on the LEDs is very useful - I will do 95% of my driving in daylight, so if the standard lights are there or about perhaps that's an option to drop.

Congrats on your order.

interestingly I did a similar exercise earlier in the year but went for the 981.  I had speced  up my 718 with my essentials and it came to £47k (base 718 similar to yours but no sat Nav). I  compaired to what I could get second hand in 981. So maybe unfair as I eventually bought a well specced 981S a year old for £48k. I didn't find the 981 harsher ride but then mine has PASM with 20s so maybe that's the reason.  I don't agree on the throttle response but the 981 does need to be in 'sport' or 'sport+' to have the good response, I think the standard mode is just tuned for ease of driving/comfort and it can feel a bit dead, but it's still useful when tootling in traffic. I did find the turbo lag noticeable in the 718 in certain circumstances, but it's not much worse that having to be north of 4K revs in the 981 to get real acceleration.  If I had been comparing  a 47k 718 against  a 47k when new 981 I don't know which side I would have come down on.

At the end of the day you tested both cars and ordered the one you liked best, 718 is still a great car.

Welcome @Whaleblue as your OPC is reading hope to see you at our friendly Blackbush breakfast meet in the spring. I must say I favour the brighter colours, its a fun car after all, but its your car to live with. I always think the car looks well finished off when the roof is dropped if the the roll bars are in the body colour.

Congratulations on the order and welcome along! 

I am also a big fan of a red roof (thanks to @Jon61 for re-posting my photo above). Certainly gives a splash of colour to brighten up a plain coloured car (black/grey/white/silver). 

I would spec a wild colour on a 718. I personally like the blues, but the yellow is amazing too. As seen leaving Bristol OPC last week on a test drive:

FB066CC3-38E8-4FF3-9038-4E0748E0F3F2.jpg

Hi and welcome.

The 718 is a great choice and a few more have been starting to appear on the forum. Black with a red roof...........I can provide a pic like that ;) see below.

Spec wise Remember smokers pack £30 ish gives extra 12v and tidies the centre console and the net bag on the passengers side of the footwell ........No cost option!

Archived