718 Ordered Today

Whaleblue

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Whaleblue said:

Thank you.

Just had a (large) glass of red.

Lava Orange is looking more and more appealing.

But I think I'll make the final colour choice completely sober!

Id def go Orange! even looked at getting mine wrapped in orange but id rather spend 2k on some thing else!

4 minutes ago, Whaleblue said:

Thank you.

Just had a (large) glass of red.

Lava Orange is looking more and more appealing.

But I think I'll make the final colour choice completely sober!

Go_on%20tumblr_mtzsut0tAO1sjwg5lo1_500_z

Welcome to the forum and an interesting read on your thought process. I did something similar a few weeks ago, although my first thoughts were a 981S. I spent a good couple of hours in a 718, mainly checking that the car would fit in the garage. It's a fantastic car but I did find it to be quite loud with the roof up and sport+ selected. It resonated quite a bit inside and maybe a bit uncomfortable if I'm being honest, but was much better with the roof down, it's certainly louder at low revs than the 981. I drove the 981S a week later and for me, confirmed that I would bide my time finding one with options that I wanted.

I have 20" wheels without PASM and can't say that it's uncomfortable to ride in, even on our "great" road surfaces ?. After having black cars for a few years, I fancied white for a change and do quite like the red roof as a contrast, but was quite happy with the black on the model I purchased.

Congratulations on your purchase, you will absolutely love it, I have no doubt about that

I quite like the lava orange, but it's too expensive IMO.  My choice on a new 718 was going to be gt silver with a red roof, I think it looks great, however I'm not really a fan of the red roof on a black car.  Also agree with the comment about rollover hoops being colour coordinated, it makes a big difference to the roof down look IMO.

2 hours ago, Whaleblue said:

I'm thinking...

PDK. No debate here for me, personally.

Likely Jet Black or Agate Grey. 19" wheels. Would like to be daring with Lava Orange, but... I'm not that brave.

Satnav, park assist, PAS cruise, auto dim mirror and wipers, 2-zone climate. DAB (pointless anywhere other than in a car, where it really comes into its own for those of us that like Radio 5 and 6).

Heated seats and steering wheeel (the smaller GT one). I put the roof down on a convertible whenever it's not raining!

As an iPhone user (more controversy!) I'm wondering how useful the Connect Plus is?

Also considering the LED lights and the upgraded seats.

I'd like to keep the overall price not too far north of £50k, but this intended as a long term keeper - my 'last hurrah' if you will, so don't want to skimp as I hope at least I'll be the one getting the benefit of the toys for all that time!

Hi @Whaleblue and welcome.  Thanks for your very well considered assessment of the 981 vs the 718. Regarding the spec, here are my thoughts, for what they're worth, based on my ownership of a 981.

Regarding the ride, I have a 2.7 PDK on standard suspension and 19" Boxster S wheels.  The ride is firm but not at all uncomfortable, as there's enough rubber in the 40 profile sidewalls to keep it compliant (and provide some protection from kerbing).  IMHO, the 19" wheels are the optimum size for the car: the 20" wheels might give too firm a ride and prove to be "kerb magnets" in town.

IMHO, the sports steering wheel with the paddles is essential if you are specifying the PDK box, as they're more intuitive than the buttons on the standard wheel.

I found the park assist front and rear to be essential as you sit low and all corners are out of sight.

I don't have sat nav, but do have the upgraded audio with DAB radio.  This was essential, as the standard setup on the 981 didn't even have a USB socket! (Is this still the case with the 718?)

Heated leather seats are great for sunny winter day drives with the top down, although I don't have a heated steering wheel.  The dual zone automatic climate control is very effective, although I don't know how much better it is than the standard setup.

Colour choice is very personal, but I would say that black would be hard work to keep pristine.  Depending on the colour you choose, it might be worth considering the roll over hoops in body colour.  They look great on my Guards Red car, but might be rather less noticeable on a grey or black car.  I did wonder if bright red might be a bit OTT for me, but I absolutely love it, so if you really fancy Lava Orange, be brave!

Hope this is of some help and good luck!

5 hours ago, JohnSyn said:

When I saw this Kevin, as a headline before I got into the thread, I thought it was you that had bought a 718!

I wish John. To throw my ten penn'th in on the OP. I've driven a 718 & 718S at the Silverstone Experience day and on a touring day courtesy of OPC Silverstone and I was very impressed. My tiinnitus effected hearing can't really discern any great difference between the sounds of the NA6 and the turbo 4, what I did notice was the difference in performance. The 718 was a lot quicker than my 981 and the S was the proverbial ? off a shovel. If I was in the market for a replacement Boxster I'd take a new base 718 over a used high spec 981.

4 hours ago, Whaleblue said:

I'm thinking...

PDK. No debate here for me, personally.

Likely Jet Black or Agate Grey. 19" wheels. Would like to be daring with Lava Orange, but... I'm not that brave.

Satnav, park assist, PAS cruise, auto dim mirror and wipers, 2-zone climate. DAB (pointless anywhere other than in a car, where it really comes into its own for those of us that like Radio 5 and 6).

Heated seats and steering wheeel (the smaller GT one). I put the roof down on a convertible whenever it's not raining!

As an iPhone user (more controversy!) I'm wondering how useful the Connect Plus is?

Also considering the LED lights and the upgraded seats.

I'd like to keep the overall price not too far north of £50k, but this intended as a long term keeper - my 'last hurrah' if you will, so don't want to skimp as I hope at least I'll be the one getting the benefit of the toys for all that time!

There is a 718 that lives round the corner from me and the LED lights make a huge difference, it looks so mean and low from a distance with the 4 zonda type spots in the daytime.  Defo worth speccing IMO

1 hour ago, Kevin G said:

I wish John. To throw my ten penn'th in on the OP. I've driven a 718 & 718S at the Silverstone Experience day and on a touring day courtesy of OPC Silverstone and I was very impressed. My tiinnitus effected hearing can't really discern any great difference between the sounds of the NA6 and the turbo 4, what I did notice was the difference in performance. The 718 was a lot quicker than my 981 and the S was the proverbial ? off a shovel. If I was in the market for a replacement Boxster I'd take a new base 718 over a used high spec 981.

Interesting that , increasingly, the 718 is being heralded as the car to have! I'm also a suffer of tinnitus Kevin, nothing to do with our age!!, and I've not noticed the extent of the difference in sound  that others talk of. Different certainly but whether the 718 makes such a poor sound compared with a NA car is, for me, not such an issue although I recognise for other it might be To be honest I'm not sure whether the hype about the turbo'd 4 is just a bit of an unwillingness to embrace change . I bet it was like this when Porsche moved from air cooled to water cooled 911s!!

18 minutes ago, JohnSyn said:

I bet it was like this when Porsche moved from air cooled to water cooled 911s!!

Some still haven't embraced it. :o 

Hi and welcome to the forum.

Lovely intro and clever decision making on your part sorted 981 or 718 now all you have to do is choose your colour.

Go with you Gut instinct, but think; will I get that  “God this Car is stunning” every morning when you see it on your Drive if it’s a Gray or Black one !! (Nothing against them colours by the way) I had that feeling every day with my Speed Yellow 986 not so much with my Guards Red 987, I know that I would get that feeling back again if I had a Lava Orange 718 on my drive.

March delivery as said that’s years away, but just in time for the Champagne run.

Guvs.

Hi @Whaleblue

Just looked at the spec for this one Jon found

http://locator.porsche.com/ipl-customer/ipl/details/details.ipl?md5=f845b9aa074083f4c30a61d6c5de2a60&url=uk

and it looks as if was specked just for you !! apart from the extra cost because its an "S"

Guvs.

5 hours ago, Guvs said:

Hi @Whaleblue

Just looked at the spec for this one Jon found

http://locator.porsche.com/ipl-customer/ipl/details/details.ipl?md5=f845b9aa074083f4c30a61d6c5de2a60&url=uk

and it looks as if was specked just for you !! apart from the extra cost because its an "S"

Guvs.

Out of curiosity I priced the spec of this one and new it comes out at just under £74k! With the amount of options it has, 50% of the base cost, someone really threw everything at it. Interesting that it's already had two previous owners. My thoughts are it was one of the launch. As the colour is rare I'd recommend OP takes a look at it in the metal to see if the glass of red yesterday has worn off? .

A march delivery is pretty good some dealers was quoting June/ July, a colour is a big decision as we took a gamble on Miami blue for our Cayman without seeing it in the flesh,but so glad we did, a Porsche can usually look good in most colours 

Archived