Gear Knobs + Prices

Jackal81

hey all , currently refreshing the interior of my 2000s.
The gear knob is in an ok condition ( considering its prob 16 years old ) however id like it looking new if poss.
Took it out the car today and after examination ive concluded that its not ment to come apart , im to scared to start cuttimg the stiching but cant see any other way of splitting it apart so i can repaint the silver bits , remove the little porsche badge and replace , and also replace the disc with the gear positions.

brings me to my main point , i had a look at what a replacement would cost:

Desing 911 £824

Porsche Shop £1158

i understand about Porsche tax , but am i the only one who thinks £800 is a crazy price for a gear knob ?

anybody know a good company who can re-trim and paint my existing one ?

Thanks

- ~Matt

2 hours ago, Jackal81 said:

am i the only one who thinks £800 is a crazy price for a gear knob ?

Lol, I think 80 quid is pushing it.

Found this a while ago tucked away in the back of a drawer.

Think its a Mazda 6 knob, and cost about 25 quid iirc (new/boxed)

Would look great on the car, but the trouble is you need to get a bit creative to fit, as its M10 x 1.25 threaded.

mazda 6 gearknob.jpg

6 hours ago, Jackal81 said:

different shape to mine , mine looks like this

http://www.design911.co.uk/fu/prod127400/Gearshift-Leather-with-Lower-Alloy-Ring-and-Crest-Porsche--996---Boxster-986/

but ill def check out Royal Steering Wheels , thanks :)

I have this one too. Pretty decent condition. Looking to swap it out for a 987 one myself.

Just now, PaulQ said:

Looks good.

Think i'm going to grind down my shaft (sounds painfull) and thread it. Can try out out some different types then :)

Can be easier to modify the knob.

I removed the helicoil from my knob and routered it out the same profile as the shaft

7 hours ago, Jackal81 said:

hey all , currently refreshing the interior of my 2000s.
The gear knob is in an ok condition ( considering its prob 16 years old ) however id like it looking new if poss.
Took it out the car today and after examination ive concluded that its not ment to come apart , im to scared to start cuttimg the stiching but cant see any other way of splitting it apart so i can repaint the silver bits , remove the little porsche badge and replace , and also replace the disc with the gear positions.

brings me to my main point , i had a look at what a replacement would cost:

Desing 911 £824

Porsche Shop £1158

i understand about Porsche tax , but am i the only one who thinks £800 is a crazy price for a gear knob ?

anybody know a good company who can re-trim and paint my existing one ?

Thanks

- ~Matt

you could try this same as I did :)

I followed these great instructions and bought a separate new leather gaiter to match 

Gaiter here - they have various ones with coloured stitching if thats your thing.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BLACK-STITCH-FITS-PORSCHE-986-BOXSTER-CARRERA-996-LEATHER-GEAR-KNOB-GAITER-/350983050127?fits=Car+Make%3APorsche|Model%3ABoxster|Plat_Gen%3A986&hash=item51b838538f:g:jGAAAOxycmBS4jBX

s-l500.jpg

On 11/27/2016 at 2:40 PM, Jackal81 said:

No, it's not just you :lol:

15 minutes ago, pingping010101 said:

Did only early Boxster 2.5 models come with the horrid round gear knob that mine has?

Do you have the butt-plug mushrrom type?

If so, it was pretty much all the 5 speeds up until 2000 or so.   Nearly every 90's porsche had it, if that makes you feel better?

5 minutes ago, pingping010101 said:

Ha! Yes it's the mushroom type but I would be keen on using it as a butt plug.

can it be replaced with another, nicer 5 speed type?

Yup, replace it with whatever you want.   The possibilities are endless...

This is what I fitted to mine in the end, with help from the dremel and a routing attachment..

Cy19FeK.jpg

2 hours ago, pingping010101 said:

I saw this in another thread actually. It's nice.

Except in the winter it will be frozen, and in the summer sun it will be too hot to touch.  

It looks very Italian, where form wins over function every time. B) 

8 hours ago, Araf said:

Except in the winter it will be frozen, and in the summer sun it will be too hot to touch.  

It looks very Italian, where form wins over function every time. B) 

Can say the same about leather seats, but no one is clamouring for cloth! ;)

It was actually quite nice and cool in the summer.  Aluminium doesn't really attract heat as much as other metals - I'm pretty sure this is the logic behind having aluminium foil behind a radiator?

From experience so far, I'd say the leather butt plug was worse.

Archived