Winter Storage Advice

runner

Apologies if this has been covered before, but I did a brief search and couldn't find the detail I was looking for.

Simple question really .. I'm thinking, for the first time, of SORN the Porsche for next 3 months till March 1st.  What's the best pointers, for all the car, eg tyres, battery, start engine every x days, move car every y days etc ...

Any advice gladly received.

Cheers in advance.

I think that making sure that its dry is the most important thing, so you've got that covered. If you can get the weight off the wheels then that would also be good but failing that over inflating the tyres will help with them not developing a flat spot. When you think about it many cars are sat around in all weather at dealerships waiting for customers so 3 months in a garage won't do it much harm.

For me the best way to preserve the car is to avoid short runs that don't get all the fluids up to operating temperature, so 50 miles+ at least. I wouldn't start the engine for a while every week 'just to keep it turning over' it will do the car more harm than if you had just left it alone.

Oh, and put the battery on a conditioner like an Optimate to keep it in tip top state,

Carpet under tyres also alleviates flat spots. 

+1 for a trickle charger

+1 for not starting it up just for the sake of it

maybe some dehumidifier crystals to soak up any moisture and avoid mould

use mine all yr round,was lovely out today...+2 blue skys,heated seats on top down :)

Thanks all ... I've just bought a CTEK trickle charger, so all good there, carpet under tyres is an excellent idea, ta ... I would have started it every month, so I'm glad you've said not too ... and as for looking at it daily, that's a given Forest !!! ... March 1 will come around swift enough I bet ! ;o)

Cheers all .

@runner I have a spare place in my garage, next to my 986. Much better if you let me keep it for you for next three months and take it out regularly to 

get it nice and warm. It will just rot away in your garage with mice and rats chewing you seats and messing with your air filter. Don't trust those other folks, they know nothing.;)

PS CTEK     IS  your friend

15 minutes ago, Topbox said:

@runner I have a spare place in my garage, next to my 986. Much better if you let me keep it for you for next three months and take it out regularly to 

get it nice and warm. It will just rot away in your garage with mice and rats chewing you seats and messing with your air filter. Don't trust those other folks, they know nothing.;)

PS CTEK     IS  your friend

Thanks @Topbox that's really kind of you ... what can I say ... other than ... no ! ;o) ... Yeah, I thought that CTEK would be the most responded answer, am pleased I invested a couple of weeks back ...

16 minutes ago, runner said:

Thanks @Topbox that's really kind of you ... what can I say ... other than ... no ! ;o) ... Yeah, I thought that CTEK would be the most responded answer, am pleased I invested a couple of weeks back ...

I'm sure you know best @runner but I'm sure you'll agree its the thought that counts . . . . . .  . . . . . . . . . . .

1 minute ago, Topbox said:

I'm sure you know best @runner but I'm sure you'll agree its the thought that counts . . . . . .  . . . . . . . . . . .

The girlfriend never thinks I know best ... so how refreshing that someone does ... cheers for that ! ;o)

8 hours ago, runner said:

The girlfriend never thinks I know best ... so how refreshing that someone does ... cheers for that ! ;o)

Hell !!!! Wait until your married. Your not allowed to even think :laugh:

On ‎04‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 8:40 PM, topradio said:

For me the best way to preserve the car is to avoid short runs that don't get all the fluids up to operating temperature, so 50 miles+ at least. I wouldn't start the engine for a while every week 'just to keep it turning over' it will do the car more harm than if you had just left it alone.

This is what works for me. During the winter I try to make sure the car gets a run out every two or so weeks and do around 80 miles per trip. I've not got 3 or 4 routes I use dependant on weather.

Plus the run out in the car does generally put a smile on my face!

20 minutes ago, boxsternoob56 said:

no you are allowed to think, just not say out loud...

You must have a good one @boxsternoob56 ;)

10 hours ago, toocan said:

Leave the handbrake off or it will sieze. use Chocks also put cloth in the exhaust pipes to prevent mice - VAG group plastic on the wiring is tasty to mice

Leave it in gear (or park on an Auto) and there's no need to chock a wheel.  As for cloth in the exhaust pipe, that will not prevent mice unless you soak it in petrol or paraffin. I'm also trying hard to work out where wiring would be, inside the exhaust. :unsure: 

59 minutes ago, Araf said:

Leave it in gear (or park on an Auto) and there's no need to chock a wheel.  As for cloth in the exhaust pipe, that will not prevent mice unless you soak it in petrol or paraffin. I'm also trying hard to work out where wiring would be, inside the exhaust. :unsure: 

I never leave in gear always chocked - is it just so you dont have to chock with the handbrake off?

Your exhaust doesnt have wires in it? Seriously though I always block em to prevent nesting. Wirewise you can get spray repellant - aint tried it but ive had my 997 wires nibbled a few times without any layup - ive had OPC tell me its the chemicals VAG use in their looms is tasty to mice

One disadvantage of leaving it unstarted for three months is that all the oil will drain down from the engine's internal surfaces, making them more prone to rusting. You can always fill the engine to the brim to stop this (which I've seen recommended for long-term lay up), but would obviously need to drain and fill to the correct level again before starting it. However, I'm not familiar with any peculiarities of the flat 6, so check with a real expert.

Personally I'd take it out for a 20 mile run once every couple of weeks, whener there's a little Sun in the sky!

If you are putting it on SORN the option of going for a drive occasionally isnt there, as already stated, bettery conditioner, handbrake off, some people suggest keeping the windows open a small amount but I'm not convinced of the benefit. As for the vermin possibility there isnt really a foolproof way to avoid this, I have an unltrasonic gismo running in the garage which may help (not read any science on it though) but a physical barrier may be more effective and for that I have my car esconsed in a Permabag that has the added benefit of keeping the moisture levels down - these arent cheap but then neither was the car so if you plan to do this winter storage every year I would invest in one.

Keith

Archived