Hood problem

Rav

Hi all - I loaned my car to my wife today to take early in the morning to meet a freind.

As the weather was nice I texted her to suggest that a nice roof down ride home could be fun. I have had the car back now and i went to close the hood before putting back into the garage. The hood came over but i noticed that the manual handle was still in its normal closed type place i.e. without the hook leading the way back to close.

I opened it up again, but in the mess the hook has pushed against the clear window/screen and caused a push mark. I have managed to close it all up again now. Back to normal operation, but the pressure mark in the window remains. I have tried ScratchX inside out and nothing help.

Pictures when i stop crying!

Not good!

Im not sure what would fix that? Possibly if you were brave enough maybe a bit of heat from a hair dryer but I think really you would need to use a heat gun but this is a big gamble as it may melt the window....

Try the hairdryer for now as I don't think it would get hot enough to cause further damage but I would speak to a hood trimmer as I do think it sounds like a replacement rear window job....☹️

Seems odd to mark it. Non occasion I have closed the latch when opening the good too but more often leave it open but it has never marked the hood or window. 

1 hour ago, Jason986S said:

The roof latch has made contact and damaged the wind deflector?

No, plastic rear screen is how I read it.

Leave the car in the sun with the roof up and see if it shrinks back. :) 

1 minute ago, Araf said:

No, plastic rear screen is how I read it.

Leave the car in the sun with the roof up and see if it shrinks back. :) 

I'm baffled how anything can contact the rear screen. Unless I'm being massively dim today. 

8 minutes ago, Jason986S said:

I'm baffled how anything can contact the rear screen. Unless I'm being massively dim today. 

I don't understand how it has managed it either.  I didn't think the folded window could come far enough forward.

Gutley takes the prize. I quizzed my wife when she got home.

She opened the roof in the usual manner, but as the hood retracted, she closed the latch again. This must have meant that the sharp hook that normally clips into the centre of the front screen, was in a position where by it touched the plastic rear windw (not deflector).

As the day has passed on the car has been in the garage, the mark seems to be decreasing. I will try parking it in the sunlight later this week.

I also managed to reverese out of the garage with the CTec batter conditioner connected. I have stripped the mains wires clean out of the unit and broken a capacitor.

Not a good day.

4 minutes ago, Rav said:

I also managed to reverese out of the garage with the CTec batter conditioner connected. I have stripped the mains wires clean out of the unit and broken a capacitor.

Not a good day, but you're not the only one to do this sort of thing.

On the VXR8 I drove off with the car still plugged in (battery in boot).  Luckily it just pulled the connector off the end of the 12v lead so I bought some new connectors from eBay.

42 minutes ago, Rav said:

I also managed to reverese out of the garage with the CTec batter conditioner connected.

Yep, done that too. I've also driven it with the aluminium jacking bung still attached. Made a mighty crash when it finally worked loose. 

I used a kettle of hot water and a cloth to soften the plastic window and iron out a stretch mark.... the window softened up easily and the mark was smoothed out using the hot cloth. By the time the window had cooled, and shrunk the mark was gone.... worth a try.

• 2 weeks later...

Question being new to Boxster ( 1 week down ) with the latch when you open the roof, should you close it again before folding the roof down ? I'm used to saab where you unlatch and as it moves back close the handle down then retract the roof.

same on opening to bring it almost to closed position and then open the latch complete the final part and lock down one finished..

Yes / No ! what are the opinions as the manual doesn't have an answer.

Cheers

4 minutes ago, Blumr2 said:

Question being new to Boxster ( 1 week down ) with the latch when you open the roof, should you close it again before folding the roof down ? I'm used to saab where you unlatch and as it moves back close the handle down then retract the roof.

same on opening to bring it almost to closed position and then open the latch complete the final part and lock down one finished..

Yes / No ! what are the opinions as the manual doesn't have an answer.

Cheers

I don't and i haven't noticed any odd marks yet.

When you open the latch to open the top (hood), you keep it in the open position. Do not push it back to the close position, or it will put an indentation in your window. When the top is closing (you bringing the top back up to close), the latch should be in the open position, and then you close it once the top is near the A-frame (almost closed).

Brilliant Thank you, i had been told the opposite from a car salesman when i was searching but had the owner advise they left it open.

Cheers boxtaboy

1 minute ago, Blumr2 said:

Brilliant Thank you, i had been told the opposite from a car salesman when i was searching but had the owner advise they left it open.

Cheers boxtaboy

Anytime. Never trust a car salesman. ;) 

I concur - closing the latch will leave a mark in your window. I know that from experience!

@Menoporsche thanks for asking. Its certainly less prominant than it was a week ago. I have warmed it up with a hair dryer, i am too scared to get anything hotter on it and have rubbed it down with Scratch X. However, I can still see it. I hope that it will continue to fade away and when the summer sun hits it, it might go altogether.

When my hood closes, the motor pushes it all the way forward to the windscreen frame and the brings it slightly back again. Obviously the latch pulls it in tight but it just seems odd. Anyone have the same or have any thoughts on it?

Rav, hope you don't mind me hijacking the thread (since your question has been answered).

Terry

Archived