OPC 981 S inflated prices ?

M12MTR

Hi folks..... been enjoying my 987.2 for (nearly) the last 2 years.

I'm keeping an eye on the market.... possibly looking for a 981 S to replace it..... but it does seem to me that the market is being artificially kept very high by over exaggerated prices at OPC. 

For example, a 5+ year old S is 38K ..... this seems inflated and plainly too much in my humble opinion:

http://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/porsche/boxster-981-12-16/porsche-boxster-24v-s/6787732 

To be fair, 60% retained after 3 years I can understand.... but to retain 70% (ish) after 5 years for a multiple owner car is just playing the market.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.... but the example above is 8k over priced. No? 

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The simple answer is dont buy from the OPC if the price is too high, a car is only worth what the buyer is willing to pay for it. The OPC's are either selling cars at this price bracket or have lack of stock.

Wasnt there a guy on here trying to buy a 981 S from anyone looking to trade in their car for a 718, perhaps like me the 981 S owners are not seeing the 718 S worth an additional £30k on their own car and therefore not changing?

All businesses will price their products and services to what the market will stand. Obviously the market is prepared to pay those rates as otherwise the OPC's would go out of business. There will be an element of overpricing to allow for people like me who will want a haggle. When I bought the 981, I negotiated a discount of nearly 4K, now that's straight off their bottom line and represents a considerable reduction in their profit (but they were still prepared to sell the car at that price). There are some (many?) buyers who wouldn't demean themselves to ask for a discount and as long as there are enough of them, keeping the asking prices high, the OPC's will continue to price accordingly.

A GTS i test drove before Christmas was £55k , i didn't buy it but in the new year was priced up at £58k, the demand is high as summer is coming and people don't want to wait months for a car. As many don't come onto the market most have a buyer lined up before they hit the open market.

Obviously people are paying these prices?

It sounds like a licence to print money for Porsche: think of those 981's coming to the end of their Porsche UK finance term that are either just handed back or traded in at their rock bottom "guaranteed future value" against a new car because their owners can't be bothered to advertise them for sale privately. Ker-ching! 

I have a relative who had a car on HP. When she wanted to sell it I said that if she paid off the outstanding finance I would take it to auction for her. It fetched £1000 more at auction than she had had to pay the lender at which she was very happy saying that she had made a 'profit' of £1K. It was, in her mind, like she had never made all those repayments.

They should really teach finance in school but that's not going to happen as it's all that spending that keeps the world going around.

That car you link to is definitely overpriced, if it was a  top spec and a very low mileage then maybe.

When I bought mine last year I found a similar story (though slightly less pronounced). There were 2012 cars with 25k for around £38k, I decided to buy a good spec 2015 with 8k for £48k, IMO that's a better buy.

Have you spoken with the dealer and flashed the cash and appeared as a firm buyer? I would not be surprised if the advertised price can be considerably improved on, away from the glare of the public adverts ;) 

If its not happening walk away and then wait for the phone call 

Dealer markup is usually 6 - 8 grand so your thinking it's about 8k overpriced is probably right haha

however Porsche have always been more of a supply and demand dictates prices company rather than a set percentage depreciation, 

its not not a bad price to be honest, and it will sell for that or a little bit cheaper so that's how they price it

Its hitting a price point as well probably.

A lot of people have sub £30k to spend on a car. A lot can stretch to £30-40k. But not a lot would pay north of £40k. So again it is supply and demand.

I think it is probably £4k too much from OPC. Certainly be worth having a haggle with them. If private probably be £32k

Bought mine in January and opc asking prices seem to have increased since then. Since they the spec variations are so wide finding the right car for you can test your patience.

The car you posted is about £2-3k over but never £8k. You'll get 2 year warranty, paintwork sorted( normal to expect chips all down the skirts and lower bumper edges ) a service and brakes most likely all done so that's worth a premium over an non approved car.

Seems to me Porsche 'Official Centres' are playing the market.... fair comment.... supply and demand and that.... but to me well (WELL) over priced..... makes me think buy new.... but  I don't fancy a flat-4.

Cheers guys..... Yes I could offer a genuine offer ... on such a 2012-2014 car..... it would be cheeky / low... but definite cash offer..... would an OPC respond to this? 

I'm sort of really liking Platinum Silver now TBH. And an S this time.

21 hours ago, daz05 said:

The car you posted is about £2-3k over but never £8k. You'll get 2 year warranty, paintwork sorted( normal to expect chips all down the skirts and lower bumper edges ) a service and brakes most likely all done so that's worth a premium over an non approved car.

I think he's saying that their margin could be as much as 8K. So based on your calculation they would make 5-6K if sold at the price you suggest which sounds about right.

With reference to dealer preparation, have you seen the couple of recent threads on here where members bought Porsche Approved cars and it became apparent that the dealers had done little more than throw a bucket of water over the car.

10 minutes ago, topradio said:

I feel that if I were to be selling my car right now I would need to make it very clear that it's not the other Lime Gold one in question.:(

No problem...the other one had a black hood, IIRC! ?

Seriously, have you ever seen another like yours?  

Mark If if its the right car for you (ticks boxes) have a drive past make an offer and let them work out the margin.

It very much depends on sales targets new cars needing brought in supply and demand etc. Try at the end of the month for example but be ready to 'nail the deal' then and there. If you have to go away to find the cash or get a loan etc they will go off the boil as it were.

If they need to make targets, or clear stock they will be interested. If not another will be along in a few weeks or months so just wait for the right time and car. ;) 

When I bought the 981, I gave them my target and they rang back 10 minutes later to say they would supply the car at that price. I asked a couple of questions to make sure that I would be getting what I expected and that there would be no hidden extras. When they confirmed that I said, without hesitation, 'you have a deal'

I gave my credit card number for the deposit and the deal was done - no messing about. Of course they did, later on, try to sell me loads of other bumf that I didn't want or need but I declined all that stuff.

As Angus said, make a serious offer and if they play ball move quickly to secure the car.

44 minutes ago, topradio said:

When I bought the 981, I gave them my target and they rang back 10 minutes later to say they would supply the car at that price.

Only 10 minutes?  You should have pitched it lower! ?

Reminds me of my days in the City.  I was being headhunted by a competitor to my then current employer and was invited to meet the Head of Sales and Trading for breakfast.  After the introductions were made, I expected lots of getting-to-know-you small talk.  Instead, he looked me dead in the eye and said:

"Ok, how much do you want to join us?"  

Taken aback, I blurted out the first number that came into my head.  

"Fine, lets order some food." He replied.

Sh*t, I thought, sold myself too cheap... ?

I was once sat in the MD's office of a prospective employer and he held up my CV between his thumb and forefinger and waved it like he was trying to shake it off and said 'so you want £x, I think we can stretch to that'. I thought to myself I should have asked for more.

With the car, the sales guy said that he had been told to 'work his way down to my price' but had decided to not mess around and agree to what I wanted. (I obviously don't know if what he was telling me was true but it sounded good)

Edit - Oh! & I was very happy with the price I paid so everyone's a winner.

2 hours ago, topradio said:

I think he's saying that their margin could be as much as 8K. So based on your calculation they would make 5-6K if sold at the price you suggest which sounds about right.

With reference to dealer preparation, have you seen the couple of recent threads on here where members bought Porsche Approved cars and it became apparent that the dealers had done little more than throw a bucket of water over the car.

Reads to me like the OP believes the car has a true asking price of £30k.

I've seen that OPCs can be a bit sneaky, but the points I mention are fairly easy to check at either initial viewing or collection, if they haven't been actioned then you find another.

To be fair @daz05 yes..... 5 year old Boxster (used). They should retain up to 55% (perhaps a little more) after 3 years..... not 55 % plus after 5 years in my very honest opinion. 

I think some very clever marketing / pricing going on here.

I'm all for a fair deal / retail. But this is too high a price..... I would rather (and could) buy new.... but not a F4 718 S.

My search continues. 

Archived