OPC 981 S inflated prices ?

M12MTR

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks Si. Appreciated.

I hadn't seen all of those.

The 3rd link - to the Guards 63 plate manual (I do require a manual) .... do like that .... and for the price and (younger) age is the sort of deal / price I'm looking for. Hence my original mention that 39k for an older motor from OPC seemed steep IMO.

The only option missing from the GR S that I would like is PCM with Nav.

?

4 minutes ago, M12MTR said:

Thanks Si. Appreciated.

I hadn't seen all of those.

The 3rd link - to the Guards 63 plate manual (I do require a manual) .... do like that .... and for the price and (younger) age is the sort of deal / price I'm looking for. Hence my original mention that 39k for an older motor from OPC seemed steep IMO.

The only option missing from the GR S that I would like is PCM with Nav.

?

Mine hasnt got a sat Nav,just a basic sound package but other toys and a £100 Garmin is alot better than a built in satnav i think :) i only paid £33k for mine last Oct

Unsure if this will help you but I very recently (4 weeks ago) bought a Boxster S sourced from Reading after looking for a good few months. Pretty much the same spec as yours but was a PDK and had 12k on the clock plus 2 years newer. I got them to retrofit the PSE and isofix/passenger airbag switch and got them to discount it by just under 5k, i would expect a spec like that to be around 33-35k. 

I didn't do the deal directly with Reading but instead from Guildford who are in their group. I spoke to Maire the manager there who was really keen to do a deal and within an hour of phone calls we had tied up the deal and I paid the deposit over the phone. She was very honest about how much she could give off the car and I felt we both got a good deal in the end, might be worth calling around the dealers as some may need to hit targets more than others. 

I think a factor is that the 981 is still a very popular model. The 718 isn't seen as such an improvement that the 981 was over the 987. I'd certainly buy a 981 over a 718 even if they were the same price.

I suspect a few OPCs are testing the market (profiteering!).  Supply of 718 has been somewhat delayed with various production delays, 981 was always well liked and in certain groups (enthusiasts) is preferred over the 718.  It's just coming into spring where demand for convertibles increases, so inevitably a few OPCs will be jacking up prices for a few months to see what bites they get, I suspect if if they don't move ta these prices they will soon soften again.

I found Reading where not the best sales people to deal with at all. 

I was interested in a car in their official network, but got "we only have dealings with W. London and Guildford"  You would have to buy the car first for us to ship it here.  Not the answer you expect from UK headquarters.

I also wanted to test drive a PDK, especially through commute traffic, they would only book me up a car for the day if I arrived at 9:30, had a 1-2 hour pre-drive instruction on it's features, and then returned the car by 4pm !

I agree with OP, there was a specific blue 981 I talked myself out of buying a while back, I've since it almost a year later up for sale for £10k more.  Yes it was sensibly priced to start with, but there is no way I'd pay I could justify to myself that kind of hike.  I'd always feel cheated.

I've now decided to keep mine for another year, but I will still have the odd search for that perfect 981, normally with a drink in my hand and nothing on the TV.

OP - Not sure you why you think a cars value after X years should have depreciated by X% and if it hasn't then its over priced......

The market is what it is, and currently 981's are holding there money very well, and yes they are selling. My friend has been trying to get a S in quite a high spec and has been struggling, however one came up and he hadn't even seen photo's and deposit was down. There isn't much discount given by OPC's either, if you take Porsche Finance you may get some but its very little. 

There are a lot more people like you who want a newer Porsche but want a the flat 6 motor, supply and demand.......last of the flat six + low volumes compared to main stream manufacturers = high demand.

Look at GTS's if I wanted one like mine now id have to pay £5K more than i did last summer. A lot of people have driven a 718 and 981 back to back and gone for the 981, I also know of someone who bought a 718 and a few months later is now selling it to go back to a 981, similar to Ferrari 488 buyers going back to 458s. I normally change my cars often but I don't a 718 because of the turd they mounted behind the seats so I'm probably keeping the 981 for another year.........alot more people out there like me!

Good luck in your search.

20 minutes ago, jayk said:

I normally change my cars often but I don't a 718 because of the turd they mounted behind the seats so I'm probably keeping the 981 for another year.........alot more people out there like me!

Taking the engine debate to the next level :lol:

I rang OPC Leeds about the 981 GTS they have today. It`s up for best part of £65K. They wanted £35K to change and £500 yes £500 to put my Techno Sport wheels on it. I offered £28K to change and I`ll bring a trolley jack which they of course declined. I will wait for the 718 GTS then you can tell me what my rear lights look like from a distance ! 

On 18/03/2017 at 8:16 PM, Rufus said:

Opc do not use depreciation curves at all. You need to snap out of this mentality.  I paid 32k for mine 8 months ago and was offered 30k for it last week.  You are wildly guessing prices with crazy reasoning mate .  I do it all the time so no bad lol

If not for depreciation curves then how do they price lease/PCP offers?

5 hours ago, jayk said:

The market is what it is, and currently 981's are holding there money very well, and yes they are selling. My friend has been trying to get a S in quite a high spec and has been struggling, however one came up and he hadn't even seen photo's and deposit was down. There isn't much discount given by OPC's either, if you take Porsche Finance you may get some but its very little. 

JK - B981S got a PSE + 5K discount (so on the face of it a 7K+ reduction)

On ‎19‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 8:32 PM, Boxster981S said:

Unsure if this will help you but I very recently (4 weeks ago) bought a Boxster S sourced from Reading after looking for a good few months. Pretty much the same spec as yours but was a PDK and had 12k on the clock plus 2 years newer. I got them to retrofit the PSE and isofix/passenger airbag switch and got them to discount it by just under 5k, i would expect a spec like that to be around 33-35k. 

1 hour ago, GTB981 said:

I rang OPC Leeds about the 981 GTS they have today. It`s up for best part of £65K. They wanted £35K to change and £500 yes £500 to put my Techno Sport wheels on it. I offered £28K to change and I`ll bring a trolley jack which they of course declined. I will wait for the 718 GTS then you can tell me what my rear lights look like from a distance ! 

I bought mine from Leeds, and I've seen the one they up at 65K and it's not really well spec'd. lol @ 500 quid to swap the wheels over! 

Hehe your more than welcome to try but there is hardly anything in it between cars on the twisties, the GTSs happy tail GT4s, and much more higher powered cars, the S would too. Hence why I haven't jumped to a GT4. I only use my for road trips and country blasts and it does the job well. 

Have my name down for a GT3 where I get allocation or not is another thing but if not GT4 is where I'll go to get back to more track days as I sold my track and race cars. 

16 minutes ago, topradio said:

JK - B981S got a PSE + 5K discount (so on the face of it a 7K+ reduction)

Where is that from and when? My mate was offered 1500 if he took Porsche finance and if he didn't it was a few hundred and had to pay for a PSE at a slightly discounted rate. Another OPC offered a few hundred discount too. 

I got basically no discount.

That was from OPC Guildford. I did ask about quite a few cars in their network and the discounts varied massively depending on the car. For example there was a boxster s with slightly better options but one year older (2013) and 20k miles on the clock and they wanted £43k. The sales manager agreed it was about £5k over priced but she could only offer £1000 off as it had been bought into the network at too higher price and had too much prep work done on it. She said if it didn't sell they would wait 4 months before slowly discounting, if it hadn't gone after 8 months they get rid of it. I just checked the Porsche approved search and it is no longer there so must have sold. 

Although I think I got a good deal on my car I wouldn't say it was super cheap. It was probably around £1.5-2k over priced in the first place compared with non OPC cars of same age/mileage.

I also experienced some dealers who just wouldn't discount at all, i live in Bristol and my local OPC wouldn't entertain any discount at all so I had to travel to get the car I wanted for the money I was willing to pay.

4 hours ago, RBD914 v2 said:

"Turd they mounted behind the seats" very Clarkson-esque!

@jayk should have heard what he was saying at the Midlands meet last year when he was driving the 718S Carrot :)

The whole reason I decided to start looking in November with a view to purchase in Jan 2017. I ended up getting one privately and if you are careful with checks etc you can save alot of money over OPC. A car like mine is currently approximately £5k more than what I paid for it.

Archived