Battery on 981

CMA

My Stop-Start hasn't kicked in for a while, and yesterday I got in to just check fuel level and was told the battery was low, start the car, sockets disabled. So putting 2 and 2 together I think the battery might be on its way out as it gets used at least once a week for good length runs.

Reading about it sounds like a dealer only swap at a huge cost as you nee to reset tps, steering angle sensor, windows and then something in the ECUs using the OPC cables.

As listed in the first post here:https://www.porscheclubgb.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=770011

Has anyone with a 981 changed their own battery and had to do any of the above?

Check out planet9, there's quite a few battery change threads, general consensus is no real issues caused. You could put another battery in parallel while you do the change to maintain the voltage but I it sounds like it's not really worth the effort. Is yours a Banner or Moll battery?  The Moll have a pretty poor rep, the Banner are apparently marginally better so disappointing if your is Banner.  Have you tried a good charge ( or reconn) with a ctek (or similar)?

These type of issues seem to be frequent on seldom used cars but I'm suprised you would have these issues.   Even for non Porsche approved batteries a suitable AGM of the right spec is not cheap.  The other issue you may have (if DIY) is that the car should be reprogrammed to the new battery which is supposed to reset the stop/start parameters, so you may still find stop start doesn't work. And it will of course mean you would be unable to renew any Porsche Warranty.

Not exactly the same car but my other halfs Mini needed a new battery. Dealer said it needed programming in and stop/start wouldn't work if I did it myself.

Took a punt at it with a Halfords AGM battery, no programming in and stop start works perfectly. 

13 minutes ago, daz05 said:

Surely the stop start not working is a blessing it's pretty hopeless and puts more strain on the battery.

I dont find it hopeless at all...works pretty well

10 hours ago, Stuart21UK said:

I dont find it hopeless at all...works pretty well

10 hours ago, topradio said:

First thing I turn off after the engine's started.

Agree with both of you:  the stop/start works fine, but it's pointless for the sort of driving I do (no heavy traffic or commuting) so I also switch it off as soon as I start the car.  I hope doing so might also help to prolong the life of the battery.

From what I have read, stop start doesn't save any fuel at all in the real world, the manufacturers found a loop hole in the way the figures where calculated based on when the engine was running. The calculation ceased with the engine off and this somehow lowered the end figure. I think by the time you add in the resources needed to manufacture it and the wear and tear on the components this is another c*ck up on the Volkswagen emissions and more recently the diesel level.

Happy to be corrected as always and sorry for hijacking the thread, just felt it raised other issues,

Well, I think it depends....  on heavy urban runs with lots of waiting at traffic lights then it probably does help .. a bit.   The official  urban cycle includes over 35% stationary and with the resulting mpg/co2 figures determining tax rates the manuafacturers have little choice to be competitive.  Of course to allow for this they then have to beef up the battery and starter motor, so in theory you should get as much reliability as without start-stop. 

The problem IME is that in urban driving you stop frequently for just a few seconds at a time, and I estimate that over half of the stop activations are for under 3-4 seconds.  Also with PDK it's a far from seamless process, so in my case I have decided always to deactivate and take advantage of the better battery to hopefully give me a longer battery life than Porsche is known for.  Whether the beefed up battery with start-stop will give worse longevity than the previous generation cars remains to be seen as Porsche has never had a good rep for Battery quality/longevity.  

My wife's manual Vauxhall with start stop seems to work much more seemlessly and despite the battery being 1/2 the size of the Porsche manages to stay in stop state for minutes without a problem, my Porsche never managed this.

Stop start is basically a legal cheat device......

But we digress..... anyone had to recode their battery and reset all the things mentioned above? Do I risk it or do I fork out over £400 notes for a new shiny Porsche batter fitted and coded and reset by them?

If I wasn't interested in the warranty I'd be tempted to just change it myself, but it's still likely to cost you £150+ for the right spec AGM.   As far as I can tell not coding the battery to the car just means the start/stop doesn't know the battery capacity correctly and thus stop/start may not function most effectively (if you are interested in that) and possibly you may not get it as fully charged as it might be. I think the resets of windows etc is pretty trivial.

If you fitted a non Porsche approved battery, how would it affect the cars warranty? Would they say that because of a non approved battery all electric components are not covered?

The battery would have its own stand alone warranty so that not being covered by Porsche doesn't matter.

I understand that you won't be able to take out a new OPC warranty with it, but is that all?

4 minutes ago, martyn said:

If you fitted a non Porsche approved battery, how would it affect the cars warranty? Would they say that because of a non approved battery all electric components are not covered?

The battery would have its own stand alone warranty so that not being covered by Porsche doesn't matter.

I understand that you won't be able to take out a new OPC warranty with it, but is that all?

The warranty does not cover faults caused by none standard parts. Could Porsche claim a none standard battery caused a fault in the PCM? I doubt it but If somehow Porsche could argue (for instance) that your none standard battery was providing too high a voltage then maybe?

Don't forget , Boxster981S, if you pull both paddles at the same time, as long as you have PDK obviously, the car will go into coast mode regardless of what speed or sports setting you are in. To come out if it just pull one of the paddles.

sws

Pulling both paddles puts you into neutral regardless of the sports settings, or auto stop setting. And pulling either one gets you back into the correct gear. You can also come to a complete stop, but then to get back into gear you have to depress the brake pedal. By the way, I don't know if this will work on the standard steering wheel, which doesn't have paddles, only those button things.

sws 

Archived