Powerflow/ Topgear Boxster Exhaust

mxm1275

Good afternoon all,

I need to replace my 986's back box as it's cracked and is blowing slightly.  The Dansk unit and similar items are outrageously overpriced and I'm 99% made up on getting a stainless steel item from Topgear:  https://www.topgear.co.uk/porsche-986-boxster-cat-back-with-chrome-tips?product_type=exhausts

Has anyone else fitted one?  They look like quality items and the manufacturer assures me that the drone at cruising speeds is acceptable and nowhere near the levels of some other aftermarket parts.

Anyone else have a view?  I'd be very interested to know before parting with my hard-earned wedge.

Thanks,

Matt.

Someone who's opinion I respect has seen their systems, was impressed with the quality and will probably fit one to his 986. Neither of us are convinced about the 20 bhp minimum power increase though - I'd love to be proved wrong, but I reckon it's BS.

35 minutes ago, chrishak said:

Someone who's opinion I respect has seen their systems, was impressed with the quality and will probably fit one to his 986. Neither of us are convinced about the 20 bhp minimum power increase though - I'd love to be proved wrong, but I reckon it's BS.

I agree re the 20BHP increase (or lack of it).  I doubt any claim like this without other induction and airflow mods plus a re-map- which I'm not doing.

Hi, had a top gear tailpipe fitted by powerflow exhausts and love it. There is a certain amount of drone at low revs but not ear bashing loud. Sound great on idle and sounds even greater when you put your foot down. I nearly succumbed to a cheap eBay exhaust but so pleased paid extra. The top gear tailpipe has great looking build quality and is guaranteed for life. You won't regret  it buy one. It's the classic you get what you pay for. Cheers 

Thanks guys.  You've just made my mind up for the last 1%.  I'm on the waiting list.

It barely looks any different to the usual eBay, Toyosport, Direnza, various other logo exhausts. With small volume cans and no balance pipe it should be the same sort of thing sound wise. 

I do laugh at the ' at least 20bhp' where is the proof? The back box is after the cats and crappy manifolds no way that will release more power.

The rest of it is as per @edc said get the toyosport box and save some money no balance pipe it will drone. 

Or even better I'd love topgear to prove me wrong with a dyno sheet :)

it looks pretty though

The Dansk looks a bit of a bargain to me, I am surprised they are that that price considering they are a proper exhaust manufacturer using quality materials. Rule one applies. You get what you pay for.

All, I sent this thread to Topgear for comment, please see their open and honest response.

Onto our 986 system now. First of all we lifetime guarantee every off the shelf system that we sell. We are able to back this up due to owning the Powerflow and long life custom build network of circa 100 franchises, someone is almost always close enough for us to have a dealer sort anything out. I'm not going to tell you I've never had a 986 owner call and tell me that middle bracket is giving them trouble some months post purchase but it is rare and when it happens we get it sorted at our expense.

If someone quotes that they have had a Powerflow 986 system done that will be a custom build exhaust made to the car on the ramp. It is also lifetime guaranteed but the sound will vary depending on the fitter and which silencer and tube he uses when fitting it. Perfectly valid way to go but I tend to find with Porsche people want to buy an off the shelf system.

I'm not sure what kind of Kool-Aid someone was drinking when they wrote our product description though. The 20 bhp claim is utterly ridiculous and I have edited that line out, you just aren't going to get that just by a silencer change. Thank you for bringing that to my attention.

We are aware that our system is on the premium end of an eBay market full of 986 systems for £200 or less and have made a conscious decision to be at that upper end. What your buying is a better quality exhaust with a better sound, and a lifetime guarantee."

enquiries@topgear.co.uk

I'm a customer of Topgear and am not affiliated with the company in anyway.

I look forward to fitting mine, when it's back in stock.

Matt.

Fantastically honest response which would make me far more likely to buy their product than any spurious power-gain claims. I'll certainly consider Topgear if ever I decide I need more noise! ??

When I get mine, I plan to film the install too- of course, I'll post it here.

2 hours ago, mxm1275 said:

All, I sent this thread to Topgear for comment, please see their open and honest response.

Onto our 986 system now. First of all we lifetime guarantee every off the shelf system that we sell. We are able to back this up due to owning the Powerflow and long life custom build network of circa 100 franchises, someone is almost always close enough for us to have a dealer sort anything out. I'm not going to tell you I've never had a 986 owner call and tell me that middle bracket is giving them trouble some months post purchase but it is rare and when it happens we get it sorted at our expense.

If someone quotes that they have had a Powerflow 986 system done that will be a custom build exhaust made to the car on the ramp. It is also lifetime guaranteed but the sound will vary depending on the fitter and which silencer and tube he uses when fitting it. Perfectly valid way to go but I tend to find with Porsche people want to buy an off the shelf system.

I'm not sure what kind of Kool-Aid someone was drinking when they wrote our product description though. The 20 bhp claim is utterly ridiculous and I have edited that line out, you just aren't going to get that just by a silencer change. Thank you for bringing that to my attention.

We are aware that our system is on the premium end of an eBay market full of 986 systems for £200 or less and have made a conscious decision to be at that upper end. What your buying is a better quality exhaust with a better sound, and a lifetime guarantee."

enquiries@topgear.co.uk

I'm a customer of Topgear and am not affiliated with the company in anyway.

I look forward to fitting mine, when it's back in stock.

Matt.

Well, what a great response - straight up and honest about the description.

Look forward to your write up Matt when you get yours installed.

2 hours ago, Southy said:

I wonder what the system would sound like with matched topgear manifolds

And do they (Topgear) do sports cats to go in-between?

Cheers, Baggers.

1 hour ago, bagss2 said:

And do they (Topgear) do sports cats to go in-between?

Cheers, Baggers.

cats are part of the manifold

https://www.topgear.co.uk/porsche-986-boxster-performance-manifolds-with-sports-cats

This is a pair of sports manifolds with 200 Cell embedded sports cats (referred to in the industry as Manicats) designed for the 986 Porsche range. You can use your original lambda sensors for the part. 200 Cell sports cats are as powerful as you can put on the 986 without requiring a remap to turn off the check engine lights. These manicats are 100% road legal and will pass an MOT while dramatically improving the performance of your 986. They are professionally mandrel bent and 100% fabricated from high grade 304 stainless steel. Ideal as a replacement part that gives a little extra as well. The manicats come supplied with all gaskets and bolts for joining up the head flange- you will need to use your original OE bolts for the long manifold head. Please note- the tape is simply to hold the gaskets in place for demonstration purposes and is irrelevant to the part sent.

986manicats-420x420.JPG

1 hour ago, Southy said:

I have seen these before. A member on had a set for sale on here & on eBay.

However, they don't appear to be anywhere close to the combined dimensions of headers and cats together, so surely additional pipework is required to mate these to the silencer(s) - or 'u-bends' if standard?

If this is the case, do we know if Topgear also sell such pipes?

Cheers, Baggers.

24 minutes ago, bagss2 said:

I have seen these before. A member on had a set for sale on here & on eBay.

However, they don't appear to be anywhere close to the combined dimensions of headers and cats together, so surely additional pipework is required to mate these to the silencer(s) - or 'u-bends' if standard?

If this is the case, do we know if Topgear also sell such pipes?

Cheers, Baggers.

only found that from the website, I'm guessing you would need straight pipes from the manifolds to the U bend

something like this

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Porsche-Boxster-986-1997-1999-Test-Pipes-Cat-Delete-Non-Reson-Straight-Exhaust-/332324808969?hash=item4d601a2909:g:Rd0AAOSw-0xYQLE9

s-l1600.jpg

8 hours ago, Southy said:

986manicats-420x420.JPG

Interesting product - no doubt carefully thought out and well made - I wonder, what this design does for the engine's torque/power curves?

Asking as I was under the impression that primary/header pipe lengths are closely correlated with the engine's performance characteristics.

If I compare these manifolds to the CarGraphic (CG) design on my 986s the CG manifolds have significantly longer pipe runs ahead up to the CG 200cell cats.

See below:

Box_NSHeader.jpg

Box_Shiney_Header2.jpg

To be clear I only want to understand the design, based on the manufacturer's approach so far I have no reason to call their product in to doubt - just want to improve my knowledge.

Good response from them, hopefully I be proven wrong as I am in a similar situation. The 20bhp thing seriously dented credibility but then so does lack of proof reading before allowing an advert to be published.

Archived