Stenaline Ferry Ramp

Tipster

Hi all,

I was planning to take my 986 on the Liverpool to Belfast ferry next year on a golfing holiday, a bit worried about the ramp on the ferry with the cars low clearance, anybody done this trip?

Btw, I can get my carry bag in the boot, and the driver fits in too,  how good is that?

Took a 986 on the ferry to Bilbao and the 997 which had even lower front lip of the chunnel upper deck, neither caused any issues.

you could always request a lower deck loading :)

11 hours ago, Tipster said:

Hi all,

I was planning to take my 986 on the Liverpool to Belfast ferry next year on a golfing holiday, a bit worried about the ramp on the ferry with the cars low clearance, anybody done this trip?

Btw, I can get my carry bag in the boot, and the driver fits in too,  how good is that?

I would rather put the passenger in the boot....

Tell the guys in the high vis jackets at the docks and they should help you out.

With the GT3 kit on Molly I got stuck before even getting to the Ferry last year...much to the amusement of the TVR and Lotus behind me.

The Lambo just hit his magic button and the front lifted inches  - so need that option on the next one !

2 hours ago, Patt said:

LOL.  My understanding is they fit a small air bag at the top of the strut to lift it enough for silly obstructions such as  speed bumps, kerbs, matchsticks etc.

Exactly that. Been around for years and a few companies have produced them to help very low normally static cars. Easy enough to fit as they just normally replace your top mounts.

I have to admit - I'm in the sceptical camp.  I can't see how a rubber bag can be better than a bearing.

that said I've never been in a car with bags fitted, so I won't write them off until then.

I do wish I'd done a tad more investigating before installing my new suspension though - as I would have probably justified the GT3 kit rather than new front top mounts.

2 hours ago, That986 said:

Probably for the better..... (if you're talking about air suspension and not antiquated hydraulics).

I hate that "drifting" has somehow become the new benchmark in handling when it most definitely isn't,  I am not sure what that video was made to prove?

1 hour ago, Terryg said:

I hate that "drifting" has somehow become the new benchmark in handling when it most definitely isn't,  I am not sure what that video was made to prove?

Just an example that's all. That same system is also being used in a few time attack cars now to great success. 

1 hour ago, Patt said:

I have to admit - I'm in the sceptical camp.  I can't see how a rubber bag can be better than a bearing.

that said I've never been in a car with bags fitted, so I won't write them off until then.

I do wish I'd done a tad more investigating before installing my new suspension though - as I would have probably justified the GT3 kit rather than new front top mounts.

As you would be if you believe all the naysayers who seem to reference land yachts. I personally know someone with a 500bhp RS4 with that kit and trust me, he doesn't hold back. 

But anyway if you get the chance have a go in one, there's a demo Golf R that goes to some trackdays, if you see it ask for a demo.

1 hour ago, That986 said:

Wow, some people really need to look around at other stuff out there. 

Try it first, it’s a bit like saying you don’t like to eat certain food without even tasting it. 

Can I agree with you whilst remaining a bit sceptical?

Archived