Hardtop bought!

Rav

So i am feeling very bad - very frivolous....

I saw a hardtop for sale on Ebay last weekend. It was in great condition coming from a Boxster with 20k miles. The best bit - its finished in Viola Purple and matches my car!!

The Ebay auction started at £400 - which i was happy to pay, but bidding started very late - I ended up paying £535 for it.....

Now - Do all cars have the fitting kit on the car side - fitted? If not, what do i need to buy?

Thanks

Usually cheaper from OPC than Ebay, would be a better statement .  I've generally been pleasantly surprised at the pricing of original items.

Just the identifying of them to the parts man can be a tad tedious.  Even when you give them the part number, they still want you to point to the drawing, and most aren't even old enough to remember microfiche :-D

Congratulations! Would be hilarious if it was originally specced for your own car and has come round again!

Would love to know how many people in the UK bid for a Viola hard top!!

Wasn't there some tip about holding spin locks in a plastic bag so they don't fall, or something?

20 minutes ago, Rav said:

I will check with my OPC - But how do i know if my car already has these fitted?

Google the image, check car ... :D  If there is nothing obvious for the hardtop spike to go into then you haven't got them. 

Sounds fair. I will check tomorrow.

Will a hardtop for a Boxster fit in the back of a Audi A6 avant? I wanted to drive it home fitted to my car, but it seems that I need to spend another £100 on the fitting kit.....

When I sold mine the guy picked it up to go back to Scotland in a Transit. The hardtop is as wide as the car is across the rear edge of the doors minus about 4 inches. I doubt that will fir in an estate. If it's coming off the car then do a deal to remove and have fitted the existing spinlocks and fitting kit.

6 minutes ago, Carlos Garcia said:

Could you just pluck it in top of the car close the latches and drive off?  The drive directly to a Porsche dealer and get the bits? Honest question...

Sure that sounds safe. Wait till you go round a corner or a roundabout and see if it's still there. Hopefully nobody bumps you and you then get done for nelilgence as the hardtop flies off and smashes through somebody's window or windscreen. Also hope you don't meet any incline or and uneven road that will dislodge the hardtop. 

You've obviously never driven with one and don't understand the creaks and groans that show how much movement there is in it if it is not properly secured. Get your passenger to stand up roof down in their seat and see how stable they are and how much force the wind exerts at just 30mph (I've tried and I know ;) ) 

Hi rav

happy to give you a hand with the spin locks if there not already fitted, i bought a hardtop a few months back, I didn’t have the spin locks, i bought them from Dick Lovett, cheaper than ebay.

fitting the spin locks are not as hard as some make out

A guy I bought mine from fitted them for me in 15 minutes. It has been 10 years but the only thing special I remember is to fit the bolt that goes in the side through a hole in the side of a baggie so if it falls out it falls into the baggie. Get it started and then rip the baggie away and finish the adjustment.

The other thing i did wrong and nobody had pointed out was that the spin locks are left and right specific, if you get them wrong you can break your hard top mechanism when putting down, so be careful.

I found time to check if my car had the fitting kit fitted - I lead such a busy rock and roll lifestyle....

It doesn't - but for the record these are cheaper to buy from the OPC - I got mine for circa £75 and not £95 as on ebay.

I will collect the hardtop early next year now, but am better prepared. I soiled myself folding down the hood to check if the fitting kit was in place, as the temp in the garage is 3 degrees.

I will update my own blog in the signature block and keep you updated. 

There is a youtube video by a french guy which is absoluetly essential to watch before attempting to fit the parts you need. Subtitled luckily!!!!!

Archived