Flashy wave thing?????

headless

Just been out in my Boxster and saw my first Boxster coming towards me, so as I have always done with my other niche cars I did the flashy wave thing and the guy looked at me like I was some kind of nutter.

So do you guys not do the flashy wave thing, is it "just not done" in Porsche circles????

Miserable bleeder :D

9 minutes ago, red rocket said:

Now you've opened a can of worms. Opinions vary as you might expect....there's another thread on here somewhere. Some wave some don't .....doesn't really matter - if you want to give a flashy wave go for it.:thumbsup_anim:

haha, I will, I can't help it, it's kinda built in now, but it can go wrong if you see a car and flash and wave and then realise you are in your other car, I've done that loads of times, so I'll keep flashing and waving like an idiot, you never know it might catch on!!!!:P

As you've found, far from everyone waves, so if I do (which I try to), I tend to go for a more restrained lift of the hand from the steering wheel, rather than your exuberant display :). But feel free to go for it!

51 minutes ago, headless said:

Just been out in my Boxster and saw my first Boxster coming towards me, so as I have always done with my other niche cars I did the flashy wave thing and the guy looked at me like I was some kind of nutter.

So do you guys not do the flashy wave thing, is it "just not done" in Porsche circles????

Miserable bleeder :D

I know what you mean, I always feel quite rejected if I don't get acknowledged - so I tend to do more of a nod or perhaps a slight lift of the hand - unless the other driver initiates a more exuberant wave or similar and I will thenrespond in kind :) 

I always give a nod/wave/flash lights even to other Porsches, Caymans,911s etc the v odd 986 may acknowledge back but it's rariety around these parts!

45 minutes ago, topradio said:

I will raise a single finger off the wheel, that way they almost have to be looking for it and if not acknowledged you don't feel quite such a dick.  

This is a Derry thing apparently as well. Not a good idea when you are in a hire car !

I think it's only enthusiasts that wave. You have to be an enthusiast to drive a Spitfire, so always get a wave in that, but not all Boxster drivers are enthusiasts and most don't seem to wave. I don't bother anymore.

10 minutes ago, TubbyNorman said:

Waved all the time in my VX220 turbo, never in my 987. Completely different market/owners. However, on my motorbike its always a nod to another biker, but never, obviously, to a scooter.

Years ago I had a 50cc Suzuki Zillion scooter. I still remember the day a fella on a proper bike nodded at me. I felt like a proper biker.....And looked like a tw*t! ?

28 minutes ago, mikesding said:

I normally wave/raise my hand - unfortunately noticed someone waving at me a bit too late the other week and felt guilty I didn't wave back in time :(

Maybe it was me and you started this thread, haha, was it on the bypass going up towards Crystal Peaks by any chance?????

Ive had a Jeep Wrangler for ten years and always get a wave from other wrangler drivers. Since I bought the Porsche I waved at other boxster owners but not a lot of waves back so gave up, still do it in the jeep always get a wave back. Come on Porsche drivers chill out its only a friendly wave. We're living the dream driving a Porsche!

2 hours ago, headless said:

Maybe it was me and you started this thread, haha, was it on the bypass going up towards Crystal Peaks by any chance?????

Haha afraid not!

Also agree - don't get many waves back in the Boxster. I used to own a 350z and every single 350z/370z owner used to wave, felt like a community!

I always used to just raise my hand slightly off the wheel, not many other drivers are even looking I find, to even think to wave back.

So now I tend not to so much. If they do wave it's never OTT and certainty not from the 911 crowd! 

I've had two proper waves in the whole time and that was both from 987 owners funnily enough, one only last week. I was made up that they waved at little old me in my 986.  :)

@Sazzy I'll have you know not all 911 owners are snobs!  I was a Boxster owner - and am likely to get another sometime once the 911 'itch' has been sufficiently scratched.  In town I must admit I rarely wave, too much else going on - but out on country roads I always wave - even to Macan/Cayenne cars sometimes! :D

1 hour ago, Gorsh said:

@Sazzy I'll have you know not all 911 owners are snobs!

I think I've had more acknowledgement from 911 drivers then Boxsters........even a couple of air-cooled cars.

Will generally give the nod to anything Pork, but they are few and far between in these parts !

2 hours ago, Gorsh said:

@Sazzy I'll have you know not all 911 owners are snobs!  I was a Boxster owner - and am likely to get another sometime once the 911 'itch' has been sufficiently scratched.  In town I must admit I rarely wave, too much else going on - but out on country roads I always wave - even to Macan/Cayenne cars sometimes! :D

No disrespect intended to the 911 drivers :)

Well with my Lotus it was an always wave thing going on and always got a wave back, I've waved at a few Porsches and been looked at like I had 3 heads so I've stopped now :(

Archived