important safety features by date issued

niceone

Condition, maintenance history, sellers reason for selling credibility, cash in my pocket. PPI.

When I was buying they were only 5-7 years old.  Totally different now. I'd ideally want one with a maintenance history that showed many of the common wear failings had been addressed.  AOS, suspension, tires, transmission fluid, brake fluid, rotors, etc.

My targets would be '99, '03/'04, '07, '09

On 17/12/2017 at 9:51 PM, mikefocke said:

Condition, maintenance history, sellers reason for selling credibility, cash in my pocket. PPI.

When I was buying they were only 5-7 years old.  Totally different now. I'd ideally want one with a maintenance history that showed many of the common wear failings had been addressed.  AOS, suspension, tires, transmission fluid, brake fluid, rotors, etc.

My targets would be '99, '03/'04, '07, '09

why not 2001 and 2002  ??

Look at the list of obvious improvements. Glass window top. Glove box.  Worth about $800 IMHO.  (Doing the chop was a pain.  And being able to drop or raise the top in cold weather without ripping the rear window is nice.) Not that the '00 thru '02 were bad, just that the '03 is better. You'll notice I choose the last years in the evolution of each type. Or in the case of the '09. the first non-IMS just to keep the price down.

On 12/25/2017 at 2:34 PM, Anker BS said:

Yes, PSM is just Porsche's name for their implementation of traction control.

Wrong. From another board:

"Stability Control (PSM) uses brakes to control the car in a slide. It can control the brakes to one or more wheels, front or rear.  Traction Controls the amount of power sent to the drive wheels (rear) from the engine."

Most Boxsters crashed on this board, that I remember, have been lost in wet weather. I'd suggest PSM would be a good investment.

I wouldn't say PSM is essential. There was a time when stability systems never existed. If you are just a weekend pootler then you will never trouble the PSM. If you are a tail happy hero then you will find PSM too intrusive.

2004 ish will finish the 986 series which many of the driving god's on here proclaim as a more VISCERAL driving experience WTF that means to you, and the lack of driving aids lends to this apparently.

As you are a FAST DRIVER maybe the more driving aids the better, what about a BMW/AUDI :lol:

Personally I don't think PSM is a must have feature but I don't think it detracts from the enjoyment either. Fast driving should be smooth so unless you are actively trying to unsettle the car, stability control shouldn't be troubled too often. if you are continually lighting up the traction control, you probably need to think about adjusting your driving style... at least for public roads

I have PSM on mine, only come on a few times and then always on smaller roundabouts.  First time was unintentional but I do provoke it sometimes when nobodies around.

If you drive it sensibly in the wet and cold I agree that there isn't much need for it on a Boxster.

17 hours ago, RickLS7 said:

If you drive it sensibly in the wet and cold I agree that there isn't much need for it on a Boxster.

Yep.  Not got it on mine, and never had any problems using the car all year round. 

38 minutes ago, niceone said:

im probably   paranoid i had a 3000ltr  TVR that kept kissing its tail and doing it with ease

I reckon any 3000 litre car would be a danger on the public road.

Archived