4 year service

Boxster981S

I’m not sure what the ancillary mounts actually are but I would have thought they must surely be included in the defined major service checks and adjustments, I.e

Check condition,and adjust if required:fuelsystem, parkingbrake, clutch, steeringgear, tie rod ends, axle joints, running gear, exhaust system, suspension, seat belts and throttle actuation

file

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, Forest said:

I've contacted two OPC dealerships and asked them to give me a full break down of costs for what is required so that I can try to compare. At present I've been quoted £1138 and £1274 although different items are listed. The following items are included by both and pretty consistent in costs apart from the spark plug replacement and Drive Belt check:-

1) Fixed price service

2) Brake fluid change

3) Tyre sealant replacement 

4) Spark plugs differ by £36

5) Drive belt check (no longer included) differs by £48

One OPC also includes costs for checking the ancillary mounts and Air Bag, whilst the other quotes for an optional Geometry and Air Con check.

Does this make sense to anybody and also does it look like every that needs to be covered is, or do you know of any other items that may require attention.

its a good job your are asking for costs from the same manufacturer's OPC's....at least you can expect consistency as a result

<sarcasm mode off>

As I mentioned earlier in the thread, it's the lack of transparency that I don't like. If they simply said that a full second service was £1200 and included everything I might have gone for it (as long as there was no further upselling involved). As it was I decided to go back to Barr Tech in Cambridge who I used to use for the 986 and the bill came out at ~£560 and they didn't just check the aux belt they replaced it. I opted not to have the plugs replaced (OPC ~£250) as frankly that would be ridiculous on a car with 20K on the clock.

I know some people love the sycophantic way they are dealt with by the OPC and are more than happy to pay for it but for me it just feels uncomfortable.

22 minutes ago, topradio said:

As I mentioned earlier in the thread, it's the lack of transparency that I don't like. If they simply said that a full second service was £1200 and included everything I might have gone for it

I agree with @topradio on this. Porsche knows what a car needs on its service schedule thus the price should just bloody well include it, end of.

Any reductions in costs should be taken off should the replacement not be required not the other way around.

These add ons are purely profit making and marketing bullshyate by Porsche.

What the schedule says, just do it, stop p*ssing about with, “oh it might need this” & “oh, this needs to be checked” FFS isnt that what a maintenance schedule is for???

As long as the OPC charge 700-1000 pounds they're happy. I guess they are primarily expecting owners to just book the car in, pay the money, and drive off until next time - no questions asked.

The whole system is built around customers who just drive it in, pay, and drive it out again. If they find anything not covered in the scheme, they'll phone up and upsell it to the customer.

1 hour ago, temporarychicken said:

As long as the OPC charge 700-1000 pounds they're happy. I guess they are primarily expecting owners to just book the car in, pay the money, and drive off until next time - no questions asked.

The whole system is built around customers who just drive it in, pay, and drive it out again. If they find anything not covered in the scheme, they'll phone up and upsell it to the customer.

But when I rang them they said that it would be £650ish (can't remember now) and it was only when I asked if there was anything else that would be needed they said oh yes brake fluid, AC service, spark plugs, belt check & anything else they could find once they have the car. The extra stuff nearly doubled the price they initially quoted.

14 hours ago, topradio said:

But when I rang them they said that it would be £650ish (can't remember now) and it was only when I asked if there was anything else that would be needed they said oh yes brake fluid, AC service, spark plugs, belt check & anything else they could find once they have the car. The extra stuff nearly doubled the price they initially quoted.

It's this that I find intensely annoying. We're dealing with a premium automotive brand here, not some dodgy backstreet garage, so this lack of transparency, and almost honesty, in their servicing costs I believe is totally unacceptable.

If these additional items are really required to maintain the service integrity of the car (and I've very sceptical about some of the items) then they should be included in the service schedule and be reflected in the up-front service cost rather than being slipped in as additional chargeable items.

4 minutes ago, Higgy said:

It's this that I find intensely annoying. We're dealing with a premium automotive brand here, not some dodgy backstreet garage, so this lack of transparency, and almost honesty, in their servicing costs I believe is totally unacceptable.

If these additional items are really required to maintain the service integrity of the car (and I've very sceptical about some of the items) then they should be included in the service schedule and be reflected in the up-front service cost rather than being slipped in as additional chargeable items.

Especially when if you decline it gives them the ammunition to void your warranty as you've not maintained the car to the service requirements :laugh:

This is exactly why I decided to do the service myself. I am really not interesting in taking pot-luck between 700 and 1500 pounds depending on how busy the workshop is.

And as for brake fluid, spark plugs, and AC recharge not being incuded, that's not really fair at around 700 pound notes!

I get the idea of the service containing a large number of checks, but the above items are either included, or they're not. 

Archived