4 year service

Boxster981S

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well Porsche have now updated the fixed price servicing of the 981 - no mention at all of the poly belt inspection being included. 

My 4 year service is due in June. 

Boxster-Cayman-(Type-981).pdf

1 hour ago, Ringer250 said:

Well Porsche have now updated the fixed price servicing of the 981 - no mention at all of the poly belt inspection being included. 

https://www.porsche.com/uk/accessoriesandservice/porscheservice/serviceandorgininalparts/servicepricing/

My car goes in for its 4yr service on Thursday. The spark plug change cost is near the same price as the service itself :gun: 

In retrospect, you dont get a lot for your money service wise at an OPC the only offset is you don't get a shiny porsche (if your lucky) to drive whilst yours is being serviced if you go elsewhere. Realistically, how much would it cost to hire said Porsche for the period your car is in the workshop? That maybe the only thing that swings the OPC service vote and speaking to the workshop manager for discounts for PCGB membership, own oil, etc.

@Stuart21UK

Thanks for fixing the link, looked OK in preview mode!

@r1flyguy

Some good points Gary. My OPC  have stopped customers from providing their own oil due to "contractual " arrangements!

1 hour ago, Ringer250 said:

OPC  have stopped customers from providing their own oil due to "contractual " arrangements!

Yeh the contract being they pay £2 per litre and charge it on to you at £20 per litre.

Is there a link to check when your next service is due and or extra work required ?

I only ask as I was told mine had a minor service before I purchased, however no 1ltr of oil in the car.  And I really do suspect boxes were ticked and work was not actually carried out.  By birthday a major should be due in June I think (4 yrs)

My warranty was extend 2 yrs 7 months, however I 'm seriously considering Indi for service work as they are more conscientious towards work and cost. 

15 hours ago, Ringer250 said:

This does not look correct as on here the Major Service does not include Air Filter change which was one of the main differences between major and minor service.

1 hour ago, Greenman said:

This does not look correct as on here the Major Service does not include Air Filter change which was one of the main differences between major and minor service.

Agreed,  no mention of air filters being replaced as part of a major service fixed price. Either they have made a mistake or it's another extra charge!

I'm doing my four year service myself. A bit late as the car will be five years old in early June, but I did an oil service 18 months ago and it's only done 3K miles since then.

I did the oil and filter change with Shell Helix Ultra 5W30 same as last time. I also fitted a new battery and replaced a faulty valve lift solenoid on the near-side.

I'll change out the brake fluid over the weekend also.

As for filters, I'm just planning on inspecting, blasting in reverse with an airline and re-fitting. I'll only replace them if they fail a visual inspection.

Anything else I should be doing?

Ah yes, thanks Higgy. I forgot about spark plugs. I'm on 21k miles now, having had the car from new.

I did pull the coil packs and inspect them recently, but for some brain-dead reason didn't remove the spark plugs and check those too.

I think I'll definitely put spark plugs on the list and do them some time in the near future.

Cabin and pollen filters, main air filters (I assume these are the ones fitted as new so might need changing if 5years old). Brake fluid, Spark plugs, check of Polyrib belt (condition and tension), the rest is checks of linkages, suspension, handbrake etc etc.

Personally I'd be replacing the wiper blades and contemplating the gearbox oil too.

Lube all the hinges and locks.

Check the date on your tyre foam and replace if required.

Well mines gone in this morning & I have a behemoth Black Diesel Cheyenne for the day. Have to say there are remarkable  differences in comfort and size between it and the Macan.

Anyway, it appears they are of the opinion an oil/filter change is not a necessity given its been 12 months & 1300 miles since the last one, thus I told them to change the poly belt instead of inspect it. It’s a 6 year service item but with 4 years and little use a fresh one at £120 fitted gives piece of mind and I’m still £180 better off given no oil/filter change costs.

They did a walk around with me and I had a good look underneath to make sure there were no rodent marks given it’s 3+ month hibernation and it appears very clean with no grounding out marks underneath either from previous owners over enthusiastic approaches to speed bumps etc, so hopefully there aren’t any other issues to worry about.

We shall see when they call to tell me it’s ready to pick up.

4 hours ago, temporarychicken said:

My mother in law’s car had a double rodent attack. Luckily it’s a Mazda so only cost about twelve pence to fix.

:laugh:

10 hours ago, r1flyguy said:

Well mines gone in this morning & I have a behemoth Black Diesel Cheyenne for the day. Have to say there are remarkable  differences in comfort and size between it and the Macan.

Anyway, it appears they are of the opinion an oil/filter change is not a necessity given its been 12 months & 1300 miles since the last one, thus I told them to change the poly belt instead of inspect it. It’s a 6 year service item but with 4 years and little use a fresh one at £120 fitted gives piece of mind and I’m still £180 better off given no oil/filter change costs.

They did a walk around with me and I had a good look underneath to make sure there were no rodent marks given it’s 3+ month hibernation and it appears very clean with no grounding out marks underneath either from previous owners over enthusiastic approaches to speed bumps etc, so hopefully there aren’t any other issues to worry about.

We shall see when they call to tell me it’s ready to pick up.

Macan v Cayenne better/worse in what ways?

22 minutes ago, Stuart21UK said:

Macan v Cayenne better/worse in what ways?

It’s a weird one and I’ll be honest with you, I preferred the plush ride of the Cheyenne! It felt smoother.

It was a 3000 mile 67 plate vehicle.

The handling and performance of the Diesel Cheyenne certainly gave away the fact this is a big heavy vehicle. Maybe that’s why the ride is so compliant. Even down the bumpy country lanes I took it down in the pouring rain it was sure footed and smooth. It would certainly make a great touring vehicle for comfort and space.

I liked the seats which had alcantara inlays but I prefer the dash and centre console of the Macan. Ergonomically it’s a far nicer setup.

The Macan (mine anyway, over a year older with 15k miles) feels more modern and is quicker off the mark for sure but the main and most obvious difference is the extra cabin space in the rear and boot space which is understandable really and if you need it then the Cheyenne would be the go to 4x4 out of the 2 but as I don’t the Macan suits my needs.

I did enjoy it but it’s a Goliath of a vehicle and has huge presence, the Macan is a ‘little’ more subtle but not much.

19 hours ago, r1flyguy said:

It’s a weird one and I’ll be honest with you, I preferred the plush ride of the Cheyenne! It felt smoother.

It was a 3000 mile 67 plate vehicle.

The handling and performance of the Diesel Cheyenne certainly gave away the fact this is a big heavy vehicle. Maybe that’s why the ride is so compliant. Even down the bumpy country lanes I took it down in the pouring rain it was sure footed and smooth. It would certainly make a great touring vehicle for comfort and space.

I liked the seats which had alcantara inlays but I prefer the dash and centre console of the Macan. Ergonomically it’s a far nicer setup.

The Macan (mine anyway, over a year older with 15k miles) feels more modern and is quicker off the mark for sure but the main and most obvious difference is the extra cabin space in the rear and boot space which is understandable really and if you need it then the Cheyenne would be the go to 4x4 out of the 2 but as I don’t the Macan suits my needs.

I did enjoy it but it’s a Goliath of a vehicle and has huge presence, the Macan is a ‘little’ more subtle but not much.

I like ours, rides well and effortless to drive despite its size but you definitely notice the weight when coming to brake

• 3 weeks later...

I've contacted two OPC dealerships and asked them to give me a full break down of costs for what is required so that I can try to compare. At present I've been quoted £1138 and £1274 although different items are listed. The following items are included by both and pretty consistent in costs apart from the spark plug replacement and Drive Belt check:-

1) Fixed price service

2) Brake fluid change

3) Tyre sealant replacement 

4) Spark plugs differ by £36

5) Drive belt check (no longer included) differs by £48

One OPC also includes costs for checking the ancillary mounts and Air Bag, whilst the other quotes for an optional Geometry and Air Con check.

Does this make sense to anybody and also does it look like every that needs to be covered is, or do you know of any other items that may require attention.

Archived