4 year service

Boxster981S

20 minutes ago, RBD914 v2 said:

I hear what you are saying, but an MOT consists of prescribed checks with no actual servicing or adjustments to the car being carried out.

I can understand paying more for higher quality servicing affecting the running or longevity of the car, but not for a relatively simple road worthiness check that is the same standard of check whoever provides it.

For this reason Kwik Fit will never service my car, but for half the price that an OPC charge, they can MOT it every year as far as I'm concerned!

Are you saying you can't be bothered to take your car elsewhere rather than an OPC, or worried that MOT Centres lower prices are enticing you in with a danger of them somehow ruining your car?

Dont get me started on oil and filter charges...

Its not that i cant be bothered , i just dont see the point of saving £25 to go somewhere else if your cars there already? Time is important so spend another 1hr driving somewhere to get it does seem a waste to me?

If the were charging more then yes i would think they are taking the phssh, but it is the rrp. On my bikes they shine a torch around it , wiggle the suspension then test the brakes , 5 mins and you are done ! £30 for that

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OPC do my MOT, £40 and I get another Porker to play about in for a day. And they're on my commute to work so drop off/collection is simple. And it gets a wash.

Last time I took a car to a £30 MOT "special" it came out with a list of advisories that didn't need doing and covered in greasy finger/hand prints and I had to have the day off work as they didn't do loan cars.

Had my 4 years service a while back, never even got offered the Air con service but if I did I'd have declined it. Prices you quote are similar to what I paid after similar negotiation.

Normally get my MOT's done locally but will be using OPC for the 981 when it falls next year.  Not sure how the car will be treated when using small local establishments Too much temptation ?

Back to the 4 year service costings,

Back in November 2017 I had a 4 year service done at Colchester OPC negotiated down to £900 inc Vat. I am a member of PCGB so got a discount for that.

Anyway the price was for,

Main service, Brake fluid change, Spark plug change, Polyrib Drive belt check, Air bag and Engine mounts check, ironically I had emailed most OPC’s around southern England for quotes and my local OPC beat the prices easily. The MOT was done a week before locally for £35.

As for tyre sealant I had already purchased a replacement (slime) from Amazon.

Got a Cayenne S for the day, to run round in.

Couldn’’t fault Colchester then and still can’t!?

I really think that the servicing all depends on what you're doing about warranty.

If you're staying in the Porsche warranty then just put up with it if you perceive it to be expensive.

If you're not keeping the warranty then why suffer Porsche prices when people like Revolution (already recommended in this thread) will do a thorough job for a lot less?

7 hours ago, Araf said:

I really think that the servicing all depends on what you're doing about warranty.

If you're staying in the Porsche warranty then just put up with it if you perceive it to be expensive.

If you're not keeping the warranty then why suffer Porsche prices when people like Revolution (already recommended in this thread) will do a thorough job for a lot less?

I probably should have said this at the start. I have 14 months of warranty remaining and afterwards will go for a third party one or just save the cash to keep for a rainy day fund.

The original thread for me wasn’t about comparing OPC with independents but just making sure I’m getting the best OPC price for a service I have to have, from the replies it seems like the prices is fair for an OPC.

Plan is to check the book and only get the stamps I need In the book the other services I’ll find an Indy for.

3 hours ago, Boxster981S said:

The original thread for me wasn’t about comparing OPC with independents but just making sure I’m getting the best OPC price for a service I have to have.

For 20 minutes of your time why not get on the phone and see what price you get offered. As I said before, my experience is that the Porsche 'fixed pricing' for services is often 'flexed' in order to keep the workshop busy.

Out of interest does anyone know the current 2018 price for a OPC 2 year warranty and Porsche assist as an optional add-on?

3 hours ago, martyn said:

Out of interest does anyone know the current 2018 price for a OPC 2 year warranty and Porsche assist as an optional add-on?

some of it maybe here

https://www.porsche.com/uk/accessoriesandservice/porscheservice/serviceandorgininalparts/servicepricing/

info but no pricing on warranty

https://www.porsche.com/uk/accessoriesandservice/owningyourporsche/porschewarrantyperiods/

just phone an OPC who'll tell you base costs for 1 year, 2 year etc with or w/o Porsche Assistance

IIRC I paid in Sep 2016:

£260 for 111 point check to assess for warranty extension, I negotiated this down from £260, to £30 off, to a final £96 inc vat plus 

£169 for a single year Porsche Assistance and £275 for two plus 

£660 for a single year warranty and £1190 for two

So total cost for all and 2 year warranty/PA/111 check = £1561 or for 1 year of each £925 (both plus MOT)

http://www.BoXa.net/forum/topic/58241-981waiting-in-anticipation/?do=findComment&comment=851959

18 hours ago, Stuart21UK said:

some of it maybe here

https://www.porsche.com/uk/accessoriesandservice/porscheservice/serviceandorgininalparts/servicepricing/

info but no pricing on warranty

https://www.porsche.com/uk/accessoriesandservice/owningyourporsche/porschewarrantyperiods/

just phone an OPC who'll tell you base costs for 1 year, 2 year etc with or w/o Porsche Assistance

IIRC I paid in Sep 2016:

£260 for 111 point check to assess for warranty extension, I negotiated this down from £260, to £30 off, to a final £96 inc vat plus 

£169 for a single year Porsche Assistance and £275 for two plus 

£660 for a single year warranty and £1190 for two

So total cost for all and 2 year warranty/PA/111 check = £1561 or for 1 year of each £925 (both plus MOT)

http://www.BoXa.net/forum/topic/58241-981waiting-in-anticipation/?do=findComment&comment=851959

Thanks Stuart, I don’t need to renew until November 2018, funny I have gone from letting it expire and taking a chance, to buying a new policy for peace of mind, extraordinary how your mind/attitude to risk can change!

Also, I suppose, if I decided to sell to a private buyer, sometime in the future, it would certainly help having warranty and I should get a proportion back by a slightly enhanced sale price.

1 hour ago, martyn said:

Thanks Stuart, I don’t need to renew until November 2018, funny I have gone from letting it expire and taking a chance, to buying a new policy for peace of mind, extraordinary how your mind/attitude to risk can change!

Also, I suppose, if I decided to sell to a private buyer, sometime in the future, it would certainly help having warranty and I should get a proportion back by a slightly enhanced sale price.

well I'm not sure if I will renew again at the 5 year point in Sep 2018...BUT I have had:

a Brake switch dealt with

seat bolster replaced

PSE both rear sections circa £2000 replaced

Air Con blower fan replaced

drivers seat belt replaced

and am currently hoping they are going to replace the whole roof due to wear marks and part of the seam being worn away by the drivers window

So the 2 year extension in Sep 2016 has paid for itself already even without the roof being done!

Just a warning on the tyre sealant, if you go for a new warranty, which incidentally is the same cost now as it was two years ago, (I renewed mine for my 2011 987.2 last Monday) to get through the 111 point check, the sealant needs to be in date and also an OEM one.

Mine initially failed the inspection because the oil had been overfilled by 0.6 litre so I decided to have an oil change at the same time as it was a year and 5k miles after the last service. Last service done by a different OPC and no top ups since then!

Hope this helps.

Chris

Thanks Chris for the heads up, I will be getting a 111 point check done anyway (before existing warranty expires for obvious reasons) and I will ask them at that point assuming I intend renewing the warranty to change the tyre sealant. Funny on the health video done when the car was in for its service the tech did flag up the sealant’s expiry!

Stuart, It is a difficult choice I know, my doubts about renewing the warranty are primarily because I only do about 3k miles a year in it, so I will be taking out a 2 yr warranty for roughly 6k miles of cover. In 14 months of ownership I have had no warranty claims to date and suspect (hopefully!) that my cars a good one....and so even more unlikely to have to make a claim within the 2years/6k window. But you never know.....?

To maintain the warranty you have to continue using OPC for your services, again double the price of an indie. I recently took my 2011 PDK for a minor service to an OPC as it was under extended warranty to be told at six years it also needed the poly belt replaced and the transmission fluid changed at a cost of a further £500, the mileage was just over 21k! Ouch

1 hour ago, martyn said:

Thanks Chris for the heads up, I will be getting a 111 point check done anyway (before existing warranty expires for obvious reasons) and I will ask them at that point assuming I intend renewing the warranty to change the tyre sealant. Funny on the health video done when the car was in for its service the tech did flag up the sealant’s expiry!

Stuart, It is a difficult choice I know, my doubts about renewing the warranty are primarily because I only do about 3k miles a year in it, so I will be taking out a 2 yr warranty for roughly 6k miles of cover. In 14 months of ownership I have had no warranty claims to date and suspect (hopefully!) that my cars a good one....and so even more unlikely to have to make a claim within the 2years/6k window. But you never know.....?

I think in that example I'd dump the warranty and personally I'm not sure I'd have the 111 point check either, an Indie would give it the once over at less of a cost...Porsche is £260 I think...and the 111 points are probably not as exhaustive as you would think (ask them what's on the list...I'll bet front dipped beam is one, main beam another etc)

20 minutes ago, Tubzilla said:

To maintain the warranty you have to continue using OPC for your services, again double the price of an indie. I recently took my 2011 PDK for a minor service to an OPC as it was under extended warranty to be told at six years it also needed the poly belt replaced and the transmission fluid changed at a cost of a further £500, the mileage was just over 21k! Ouch

you dont need to go to an OPC at all for the warranty to continue to be valid, the condition is that the work is carreid out as per Porsche standards and timings and with Porsche original parts....I checked it with Silverstone before taking mine to an Indie for the last major service, partly as the OPC couldn't quite advise me what they were going to charge, and what it covered (seems the belt was included within the quote, only to be also asked if I wanted it doing as an 'extra')

...all that said keeping the car in the OPC network is more likely to give you the possibility of customer 'goodwill' work/ pricing from the OPC (I had a seat belt replaced byt the OPC as warranty wouldnt cover it) AND an OPC can never argue about standards of work done (to try to get out of a warranty claim) if they did it!

15 hours ago, Tubzilla said:

. I recently took my 2011 PDK for a minor service to an OPC as it was under extended warranty to be told at six years it also needed the poly belt replaced and the transmission fluid changed at a cost of a further £500, the mileage was just over 21k! Ouch

Hiya, I will check, but if I recall correctly, PDK gearbox and clutch oil is changed every 12 years. Polyrib drive belt every 6 years. Or target mileage’s whichever comes first.

14 minutes ago, martyn said:

Hiya, I will check, but if I recall correctly, PDK gearbox and clutch oil is changed every 12 years. Polyrib drive belt every 6 years. Or target mileage’s whichever comes first.

I recently had my PDK Transmission oil changed as well as my drive belt...

I just found this which has the intervals noted at the end...  PDK Clutch fluid interval is 12 years... (this is for a 987.2 Boxster - not sure how this compares to the 981 but I can't believe it will be that different).

https://www.porsche.com/filestore.aspx/Porsche-Download.pdf?pool=middle-east&type=download&id=porschecentrenetwork-bmarket-boxster1&lang=none&filetype=default

17 hours ago, Stuart21UK said:

I think in that example I'd dump the warranty and personally I'm not sure I'd have the 111 point check either, an Indie would give it the once over at less of a cost...Porsche is £260 I think...and the 111 points are probably not as exhaustive as you would think (ask them what's on the list...I'll bet front dipped beam is one, main beam another etc)

you dont need to go to an OPC at all for the warranty to continue to be valid, the condition is that the work is carreid out as per Porsche standards and timings and with Porsche original parts....I checked it with Silverstone before taking mine to an Indie for the last major service, partly as the OPC couldn't quite advise me what they were going to charge, and what it covered (seems the belt was included within the quote, only to be also asked if I wanted it doing as an 'extra')

...all that said keeping the car in the OPC network is more likely to give you the possibility of customer 'goodwill' work/ pricing from the OPC (I had a seat belt replaced byt the OPC as warranty wouldnt cover it) AND an OPC can never argue about standards of work done (to try to get out of a warranty claim) if they did it!

actually just read my notes and what I was told by the Indie was that if I wanted to extend the warranty this year then they will insist on a major service being done by them as well as the 111 point check...this has NOT been confirmed by OPC though and I'd strongly argue the point too...

4 hours ago, rowbos said:

I recently had my PDK Transmission oil changed as well as my drive belt...

I just found this which has the intervals noted at the end...  PDK Clutch fluid interval is 12 years... (this is for a 987.2 Boxster - not sure how this compares to the 981 but I can't believe it will be that different).

https://www.porsche.com/filestore.aspx/Porsche-Download.pdf?pool=middle-east&type=download&id=porschecentrenetwork-bmarket-boxster1&lang=none&filetype=default

The Service book does state 60k miles or no later than 6 years for PDK oil change.

1 hour ago, Tubzilla said:

The Service book does state 60k miles or no later than 6 years for PDK oil change.

Hmm, in my service book for 911, Cayman, Boxster, on page 13 it says “Additional maintenance every 180,000km/120,000miles, but no later than every 12 years,

Porsche Dopplekupplung (PDK); Change transmission oil.

Porsche Dopplekupplung (PDK); Change clutch oil.

Bearing in mind that it is for a 981 not a 987 perhaps that’s the difference?

1 hour ago, martyn said:

Hmm, in my service book for 911, Cayman, Boxster, on page 13 it says “Additional maintenance every 180,000km/120,000miles, but no later than every 12 years,

Porsche Dopplekupplung (PDK); Change transmission oil.

Porsche Dopplekupplung (PDK); Change clutch oil.

Bearing in mind that it is for a 981 not a 987 perhaps that’s the difference?

Interesting. Must be 987 to 981.  I can’t imagine the Gearbox changed much between the two though!

7 minutes ago, rowbos said:

Interesting. Must be 987 to 981.  I can’t imagine the Gearbox changed much between the two though!

Agreed, perhaps they just realized that every 12 years was sufficient ?

2 hours ago, Tubzilla said:

Yep, page 15 additional maintenance 60k miles or 6 years. 12 years or 120k does seem a long time. My point was 6 years and 21k , I don't think I would have bothered, but I had the extended warranty.

I was 6 years and 15K but at least I know it’s been done and my warranty notes all manufacturers recommended service items must be addressed at the right time.  It was a slightly fussy procedure, very temperature dependant.  I think the Fluid had to be between 48 and 51deg or similar.  I had just driven 100 miles so everything was quite warm!  It took at least three hours with checking every few minutes to drop into the temperature range so Lee could complete the procedure.  

I also note from a quick search just now that it is recommended the rear alignment is checked after a PDK Fluid change as the rear chassis strengthening plate must be removed to get to the components required - when I was at Center Gravity Chris noted this same recommendation to me during his forensic examination of the car as he could see this plate had been removed and replaced.  

Archived