Manual 981

Virglas

Just wondering if a manual 981 is a rarity?  Was looking at 65 plate manual which seemed well priced etc but Porsche centre Swindon are doing their best to put me off so that I will buy their car. Their car is PDK which I would prefer but it’s two years older and £2k more and 20kmiles as opposed to 14kmiles. Anyway I was wondering are manual 981’s rare. A friend of mine bought a 2-3 year old manual Ferrari a few years back. His brother took the p*ss saying he was crazy and that no one bought manual Ferrari’s any more. Any way when  he came to sell the car the joke was on his brother as he made quite a lot of money due to the fact that it was manual and there weren’t may produced.  So if I buy the manual boxster ..... you can see where I’m going with this.....Stu 

Personal choice.

For the extra money your getting a 2 year warranty as im ‘asuming’ the other car is private albeit you havent stated if it has a warranty.

I was an advocate of manual but PDK is awesome. I’d have a manual again in the right car and a 981 would be the right car.

if your doing town driving a lot, pdk, if its for fun weekends and trackdays, manual even still some would argue that point.

id suggest you decide what you really want, speak to the OPC and state their higher mileage/older car isnt worth 2k extra but equal and they might have a buyer should they consider that ;) Boxster & Ferrari’s are worlds apart when it comes to resale.

The balls in your court really, whatever you decide i hope you enjoy your new ride.

3 hours ago, topradio said:

Calling @Stuart21UK, Calling @Stuart21UK. Your input is needed!

like Beetlejuice I appear....

IMO like many will say when the subject it raised, you need to drive PDK and Manual and decide for yourself....PDK is great but I prefer a Manual even though mine is not a fair weather and weekend car (I use it daily).

The only time I would prefer to have PDK is sat in traffic but it doesn't give me a compelling enough reason personally to lose the feel, control and involvement that the Manual gives...

As far as rare, yes I'd say so...when I bought mine I bought new because I wanted an S, with a manual box and PSE...the only way to get one that wasn't in some duff colour was buy new and spec myself (which fortunately I could afford to do I managed to cajole the wife into letting me do, using my man maths persuasive powers )

look on the Porsche Approved list for 981's and there are 46 currently, of these only 8 are manual:

S's account for 20 (manual 1 only)

GTS's account for 3 (no manual)

Spyders account for 4 (all 4 manual)

non S's account for 19 (manual 3 only)

BTW if the Swindon car is this one

http://locator.porsche.com/ipl-customer/ipl/details/details.ipl?md5=c934b1bc335baae91d4555b6b0ca24c8&url=uk

20180207175006933_001.jpg

then it has the multi-function steering wheel with buttons rather than flappy paddles to change gear, if ever I got a PDK it would have to have the Sports Steering wheel ala flappy paddles (and I think the majority would agree).

Drive and test for yourself and choose based on what you want rather than what may sell theoretically for more in the future...I think Manual is like buying a bright colour, some will be put off but for someone who wants one, they will hunt it down....at more money? I doubt it...

What is the spec of the manual? The PDK has an ok spec but is missing some good options e.g BOSE, pasm, chrono. If spec is important and the manual has a better spec that would swing it for me. You can always put a car back into Porsche warranty as long as it has been serviced correctly.

I too prefer a manual. I ordered a new 718S and specifically specced manual, despite the dealer trying to encourage me into a PDK. I haven't seen another manual one. When I did the PEC at Silverstone, out of all the drivers in the briefing room, I was the only one using a manual.

Bear in mind if you are intending to keep the car for any length of time that you will have to replace the clutch at some stage and that will cost around a grand. That might narrow the gap to the OPC car, however you will be spending it now and not later.

I agree on the city driving thing though; our Macan is PDK (no manual option) and it is great in traffic, but a PITA reversing uphill.

They are quite rare in comparison and there will always be a market for a manual car.  However, on the 981, PDK is good so it shouldn't become unloved like some of the older tech you described - my advice pay the extra for what you actually want - if that's PDK you need the sports design wheel. 

The manual is definitely more involving but frustratingly they are longer geared than 981 PDK cars.  On a 718 I'd be more inclined to go manual.

Manual does seem to be a bit rarer than PDK on 981s but it’s not as rare as on more modern Ferraris, however you could make a case that the 981 will become a enthusiasts collector car, in which case the manuals might well be more sought after.  The PDK is excellent and very well reguarded but the manual is also very well implemented (but with slightly long gearing).  Don’t let the dealer put you off a manual if that’s what you fancy, but don’t buy just because you think it will hold its value better, as that effect my take years to materialise. 

EDIT - I seem to have said just about the same as Daz as he was typing.

I've had four manual Boxsters including a GTS, loved them all and never considered an auto box in a sports car.

Then I bought my current Black Edition and thought I would go PDK for a change, just to see what all the fuss was about.

What a revelation, PDK is awesome once you get used to it. The flappy paddles with the sport design steering wheel are a must if you go this route. I find that I can cane this car faster down the twisties than any other I have ever had - including the GTS. 

Why? Well for me it is simply that the PDK gearbox allows the driver to access and utilise the power of the engine so much more easily and instantly via the paddles, whilst all the time allowing both hands to be kept on the steering wheel, which in turn allows greater steering control.

Once the open road comes to an end and you enter a town, you just switch to full auto and let the 'box do its stuff.

Perfect! I would not go back to manual now.

PDK is the future, I now appreciate why F1 cars use similar gearboxes!

3 minutes ago, RBD914 v2 said:

I've had four manual Boxsters including a GTS, loved them all and never considered an auto box in a sports car.

Then I bought my current Black Edition and thought I would go PDK for a change, just to see what all the fuss was about.

What a revelation, PDK is awesome once you get used to it. The flappy paddles with the sport design steering wheel are a must if you go this route. I find that I can cane this car faster down the twisties than any other I have ever had - including the GTS. 

Why? Well for me it is simply that the PDK gearbox allows the driver to access and utilise the power of the engine so much more easily and instantly via the paddles, whilst all the time allowing both hands to be kept on the steering wheel, which in turn allows greater steering control.

Once the open road comes to an end and you enter a town, you just switch to full auto and let the 'box do its stuff.

Perfect! I would not go back to manual now.

PDK is the future, I now appreciate why F1 cars use similar gearboxes!

I second all of this, I feel far more secure with my hands firmly on the wheel at all times and the gear change as you tap the paddle is almost instantaneous.

No danger of over revving the engine either as PDK won't allow it.

I also love the way the Sports Plus setting locks out 7th gear even in "manual" mode which I only discovered when out for a quick run down the Dalveen Pass yesterday!

Taking all of the general arguments out of the equation (and I am still in the manual camp having tried both gearboxes)

I still wouldn't choose an auto purely on sound alone. Kick down noise is a no no for me in a sports car... Its almost acceptable in Sport Plus batting through the gears but still doesnt have the same ring to it as a manual :)

24 minutes ago, Leonard said:

I still wouldn't choose an auto purely on sound alone. Kick down noise is a no no for me in a sports car... Its almost acceptable in Sport Plus batting through the gears but still doesnt have the same ring to it as a manual :)

Not quite sure I follow you here?  What do you mean by ‘kick down noise’. To be honest I never use kick down anyway always being in manual mode. What you do get (or at least can induce) are the exhaust cracks as you change up gears under full throttle which aren’t so easy in manual, is this what you mean?

56 minutes ago, Greenman said:

Not quite sure I follow you here?  What do you mean by ‘kick down noise’. To be honest I never use kick down anyway always being in manual mode. What you do get (or at least can induce) are the exhaust cracks as you change up gears under full throttle which aren’t so easy in manual, is this what you mean?

No sorry difficult to explain, if you listen to any auto, dual clutch or otherwise you get that lazy change down noise high tone to low tone, just dont like it. As i said not so bad when you are full chat but rest of time it doesnt sound as good as a manual change

Dont know if this helps, from circa 50 seconds 

9 hours ago, Greenman said:

you can promote more crackles and pops on the manual simply by lightly resting your foot on the accelerator pedal then lifting off...

8 hours ago, Leonard said:

No sorry difficult to explain, if you listen to any auto, dual clutch or otherwise you get that lazy change down noise high tone to low tone, just dont like it. As i said not so bad when you are full chat but rest of time it doesnt sound as good as a manual change

Dont know if this helps, from circa 50 seconds 

doesn't that look like dull driving though....

On 21/02/2018 at 4:46 PM, RBD914 v2 said:

.. for me it is simply that the PDK gearbox allows the driver to access and utilise the power of the engine so much more easily and instantly via the paddles, whilst all the time allowing both hands to be kept on the steering wheel, which in turn allows greater steering control.

That's it in a nutshell imo some people like/prefer that, others like to be busier and by proxy feel more involved in the overall orchestra. Aint no right answer total preference

Off topic I thought Ferrari aint dont a manual car in over 10 years?

Manual are rarer, remember PDK was a £2000+ extra too !

Both are great to drive with the manual selector being GT3 class selector and also nearer to the wheel tan previous models. The PDK is more instinctive with the paddles but I also find using the lever satisfying, especially when turning.  It came down to specification rather than gear linkage when I purchased my 981.

I would say the biggest adjustment is the stupid electric handbrake and useless "hill" start.

I say "useless" because it only works on a 5% or greater gradient, the rest of the time you sit on the brakes for fear of rolling and end up turning off the auto stop just in case that adds to your pain.

3 minutes ago, Patt said:

would say the biggest adjustment is the stupid electric handbrake and useless "hill" start.

Unfortunely electric handbrake is something that is unavoidable whatever the car. Hill start i think is fine but a big advantage of the handbrake is you can just drive without releasing it,  as for auto stop it’s the first thing I turn off when I get in the car, any cost saving in petrol is offset by the reduced battery life.

Archived