987.1 holding values inspite of...

John K

On 10 April 2018 at 10:39 PM, Bike Loon said:

Im in that situation, thought about selling my 987S and looked around for viable alternatives for the same money and couldnt find anything close to what the Boxster does

BMW z4 coupe?? had both bm is definately cheaper to run, lower car tax, and quite a rare sight

15 minutes ago, Bruce2018 said:

Ah nut you can on the Z4M roadster which is a lot cheaper than the M coupe and a good equal of the boxster?

Both the roadster and coupe were on my list when I started looking a few years back. The Boxster won. 

In all seriousness, I also looked at the Z4 before the Boxster, the facelift 2009+ cars are an attractive design but to me, the BMW badge has lost its kudos, whereas the Porsche will always be special.

drive down the road in a BMW and no one cares or bats an eyelid, unless you really know what you are looking at - in the Porsche, more people take notice.

shallow? Probably, but for once i’m driving the Porsche and not looking at one driving past me :)

I think Boxsters of all ages offer fantastic value for money, along with some proper street cred as well from the badge. 

10 hours ago, Mattman42 said:

In all seriousness, I also looked at the Z4 before the Boxster, the facelift 2009+ cars are an attractive design but to me, the BMW badge has lost its kudos, whereas the Porsche will always be special.

drive down the road in a BMW and no one cares or bats an eyelid, unless you really know what you are looking at - in the Porsche, more people take notice.

shallow? Probably, but for once i’m driving the Porsche and not looking at one driving past me :)

I think Boxsters of all ages offer fantastic value for money, along with some proper street cred as well from the badge. 

Agree with you on the facelift 2009 cars, but the 2006-2008 coupe most people have never seen one, BMW only made about 2000 .

On 4/30/2018 at 10:05 PM, Bruce2018 said:

BMW z4 coupe?? had both bm is definately cheaper to run, lower car tax, and quite a rare sight

Chop in my 987S for a BMW Z4? lol... that would be a rather large downgrade

Back to the original point. Are they really holding their values?  It seems the prices advertised are higher than they were a year ago, but how many people are actually buying them for / selling them at those prices? I have watched cars being advertised on here for what I feel is up to 2k over market value, and usually they hang around for ages until the price drops to something more like what I expect.

The market decides what the value is. As long as people are willing to pay then that is the value. Well maintained and looked after cars will always achieve higher prices. Since I bought mine in Jan. I have spent ~ £4000 on repairs and preventative maintenance.  Not all the work was necessary but I wanted it done so the car is at the standard that I want it to be. When sold, I will expect to recover some of it. I guess that I am not the only one thinking this way.

I have my 987.1 2.7 on my AutoTrader My Cars page, and it gives a private sale and trade in guide value.

The private sale guide price has remained static in the last 12 months, the trade price has dropped £500. ?

A Gen2 might be greatly improved engine and pdk wise, and give peace of mind if you worry about that kind of thing.
But in my opinion the Gen1 is the purer design aesthetically.

Hell of a car for £10.5k, mine is staying with me for the foreseeable. 

(£500 road tax really sucks though ? )

Mine is priced according to recommendation of a well known independent Porsche dealer who thoroughly inspected the car and it's service history. He openly admitted the car would retail at £16k upwards from a dealer and £13.5k would be pitching it just right with some room for the expected last minute dealings.

I expect a few people are getting twitchy if they've had them listed for a while but the convertible market hasn't even started yet. A handful of people beating the rush looking for a bargain maybe, but by the end of the month with a couple of bank holiday weekends behind us and hopefully some decent weather, there will be buyers looking for the "car they always promised themselves". Oh, sorry that was the Ford Capri :P

On 5/3/2018 at 10:36 AM, Freeman said:

The market decides what the value is. As long as people are willing to pay then that is the value. Well maintained and looked after cars will always achieve higher prices. Since I bought mine in Jan. I have spent ~ £4000 on repairs and preventative maintenance.  Not all the work was necessary but I wanted it done so the car is at the standard that I want it to be. When sold, I will expect to recover some of it. I guess that I am not the only one thinking this way.

Perversely, everybody wants a well sorted car but actually they don't want to pay for it. On the surface a cr*p car can look almost the same as the best of the best but when it comes to the crunch people generally don't see the value. What then happens is they buy the cheaper one but within 1-2 years have spent way more than the wants for almost nothing one. 

I've been on here over 6 years now  and had 2 mid market priced Boxsters now and see this time and time again.

2 hours ago, edc said:

Perversely, everybody wants a well sorted car but actually they don't want to pay for it. On the surface a cr*p car can look almost the same as the best of the best but when it comes to the crunch people generally don't see the value. What then happens is they buy the cheaper one but within 1-2 years have spent way more than the wants for almost nothing one. 

I've been on here over 6 years now  and had 2 mid market priced Boxsters now and see this time and time again.

But, a well sorted car isn't necessarily any more expensive then one that's not. Most would choose a mint dealer car with a fully stamped up service book, over something that had a few marks and some missing stamps, but has had lots of mechanical work done to it. The latter would probably be the cheaper car to buy and run. For many people though a car that's had lots of work done to it is a problem car, so you can't win either way ! 

20 minutes ago, PaulQ said:

But, a well sorted car isn't necessarily any more expensive then one that's not. Most would choose a mint dealer car with a fully stamped up service book, over something that had a few marks and some missing stamps, but has had lots of mechanical work done to it. The latter would probably be the cheaper car to buy and run. For many people though a car that's had lots of work done to it is a problem car, so you can't win either way ! 

Thats true too. Because Boxsters are so cheap they do attract people new to the marque with perceptions that it's a luxury and expensive to use. A dealer car provides that "false" confidence. 

Archived