Wind deflector ideas!!!!!

headless

3 hours ago, headless said:

There's a socket in the glovebox as well???? haha, I did'nt know that, there's one under the flap for the cigarette ashtray thingy in the middle and one in the back box thingy between the seats, have I missed any more????

There is on the 981, and one in the passenger footwell, can’t speak for 987.

19 hours ago, Boxob said:

Now try it with the hood down. Will the buffeting affect it?

ok, sun's out, so went for a drive with the roof off to try it, think it came out ok, only mild wind noise at speed...

Lots of wind buffeting at higher speeds but still very watchable. Love the camera position, makes me feel i'm riding in a non existant 3rd seat :D

On ‎13‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 1:57 PM, DavidL said:

You've started something now.  I bought a Nextbase Duo (front and rear facing cam) in the Maplin closing down sale for £65.  Had issues hardwiring in due to the lack of clearance when the cover is reinstated over the fuse panel.  Have now stuck in the same position as you and it provides a great front and rear view.  Not tested yet thought to see what the shake factor is.  If it works, it will be ace.

My only concern is forgetting to unplug as the centre console power seems to be perm live - I don't want to forget and come back to a dead battery.

Have a look at this post it shows you how to get around the   " Had issues hardwiring in due to the lack of clearance when the cover is reinstated over the fuse panel. "

Also I noticed Angus @Toeside on the Scottish boards run had done some work on strengthening his wind deflector to accommodate a dash cam on it very strong a stable.

Guvs.

1 hour ago, Guvs said:

Have a look at this post it shows you how to get around the   " Had issues hardwiring in due to the lack of clearance when the cover is reinstated over the fuse panel. "

Also I noticed Angus @Toeside on the Scottish boards run had done some work on strengthening his wind deflector to accommodate a dash cam on it very strong a stable.

Guvs.

Thank you for that - will take a look!

21 hours ago, headless said:

ok, sun's out, so went for a drive with the roof off to try it, think it came out ok, only mild wind noise at speed...

More stable than I thought it would be! As you get a wiggle on there is more camera  movement but that could also be road conditions. 

Now I'm wondering how a forward and rearward facing camera would perform in that position on my car.

• 2 weeks later...

I got round to trying my forward and rear facing cam yesterday, just stuck to the perspex - worked very well and hardly any shake whatsoever.  I have a couple of these cams now as I've had someone go up the back of me twice in my X5 in stationary traffic and I was convinced they were on their phone.

Screen_Shot_2018_04_27_at_09_45_15.png

30 minutes ago, DavidL said:

I got round to trying my forward and rear facing cam yesterday, just stuck to the perspex - worked very well and hardly any shake whatsoever.  I have a couple of these cams now as I've had someone go up the back of me twice in my X5 in stationary traffic and I was convinced they were on their phone.

Screen_Shot_2018_04_27_at_09_45_15.png

is that the A322 between Bracknell and the M3?

17 minutes ago, Simon. said:

Just as someone asked, both the power sockets on the 987 at least are permanently live, even looked in the manual to double check :o

Yes, that is the one thing that has put me off this.  I left it on twice in the car yesterday, fortunately I was not gone for long!

Saw this camera and thought of a way it could be mounted to use it as it can be - it's a 4k 360 camera, intended I gather for vloggers.

Might not handle carcam speeds....

https://www.gearbest.com/action-cameras/pp_651543.html?wid=1433363

Then saw someone I'd watched put 3D printers together, and saw this techy has reviewed that camera, it does go other directions than immediate right :-)

It's a technical show of the cameras ability, honest.... :-)

20 hours ago, DavidL said:

Yes, that is the one thing that has put me off this.  I left it on twice in the car yesterday, fortunately I was not gone for long!

Have you seen this Thread

you can hard wire it in and it will turn off when you pull the ignition key out.

Guvs.

Archived