Wind deflector ideas!!!!!

headless

Have been thinking about doing this for a bit now, as the bits either side of the wind deflector has mesh I thought I'd add flyeye to the glass, it will hide a bit another idea that I've had, putting a mini dashcam pointing forward into the cockpit, I have some sticky velcro that I'm going to use but will need to see which point of view (top or bottom) looks best before I do any sticking...oh and also took off the Porsche badge and just left PORSCHE, think it looks neater!!!

as was before mods...

FAMpV6O.jpg

with flyeye added...

0zXYh1w.jpg

3PANEok.jpg

ddDCwwM.jpg

33 minutes ago, Simon. said:

Why do you want it with a screen on? It looks better clear imho. 

yes there are 981 owners actively buying clear wind deflectors to replace the mesh ones that Porsche now supply!

42 minutes ago, Simon. said:

Why do you want it with a screen on? It looks better clear imho. 

Oh and it's not a screen, the glass it still there, it's just a stick on vinyl sheet with holes in!!!

4 minutes ago, headless said:

To hide the minicam a little bit, if I don't like it, it will take 5 seconds to come off, so no biggy!!!!

Have you tried your camera on there?  I did this and the image shook so much it made me feel sick watching it ?

no not yet, got dark, so I'll try it tomorrow, I once put an action cam on the back screen of my smart roadster and got the same shaking, so I have an open mind as to if it will work or not!!!!

11 hours ago, headless said:

no not yet, got dark, so I'll try it tomorrow, I once put an action cam on the back screen of my smart roadster and got the same shaking, so I have an open mind as to if it will work or not!!!!

Pretty sure it's going to shake. One of the guys on the Borders run, @Toeside i think, had made up some specially strengthened deflectors with bars attached to solve the problem. 

I'm fairly sure that a camera attached to the top of the deflector will shake - the extra weight of the camera is likely to amplify any flexing of the screen. I strongly suspect it would be better at the bottom - not sure about the 987, but as I recall the 986 deflector has a tab in the middle of the bottom rail that fits into a notch in the rollbar that braces it at that point.  In any event, because of the way the deflector is held in place, I think the top centre is the part of the perspex that will flex the most unless extra stiffening is added (as red rocket mentioned above; I recall a post on here about that too).

I experimented with a GoPro mount on the perspex deflector on my 986. I fixed it at the bottom centre of the perspex - there was some shaking, but it wasn't too bad and it certainly didn't make the videos unwatchable. What was worse however was the rattling noise that the GoPro microphone picked up, however much I tried to ensure that both the GoPro and wind deflector mountings were solid. @headless's camera looks lighter than a GoPro so that may possibly be less of an issue - and I don't even know if dashcams normally record audio - but if there is any option to use an external microphone that may be worth doing (although then you'd have windnoise to contend with, which is somewhat countered by the GoPro's 'open' case).

Putting the camera at the bottom of the deflector also has the advantage that the view of the road ahead may be less obscured by the windscreen rail and rear view mirror - looking back at some of my video I'm fairly sure that the mirror would have blocked the view ahead from a camera at the top of the deflector. It also of course means that the camera would have blocked the view from the rearview mirror - though I don't know if that would be an issue or not for the OP :)

2 minutes ago, Jon61 said:

I'm fairly sure that a camera attached to the top of the deflector will shake - the extra weight of the camera is likely to amplify any flexing of the screen. I strongly suspect it would be better at the bottom - not sure about the 987, but as I recall the 986 deflector has a tab in the middle of the bottom rail that fits into a notch in the rollbar that braces it at that point.  In any event, because of the way the deflector is held in place, I think the top centre is the part of the perspex that will flex the most unless extra stiffening is added (as red rocket mentioned above; I recall a post on here about that too).

I experimented with a GoPro mount on the perspex deflector on my 986. I fixed it at the bottom centre of the perspex - there was some shaking, but it wasn't too bad and it certainly didn't make the videos unwatchable. What was worse however was the rattling noise that the GoPro microphone picked up, however much I tried to ensure that both the GoPro and wind deflector mountings were solid. @headless's camera looks lighter than a GoPro so that may possibly be less of an issue - and I don't even know if dashcams normally record audio - but if there is any option to use an external microphone that may be worth doing (although then you'd have windnoise to contend with, which is somewhat countered by the GoPro's 'open' case).

Putting the camera at the bottom of the deflector also has the advantage that the view of the road ahead may be less obscured by the windscreen rail and rear view mirror - looking back at some of my video I'm fairly sure that the mirror would have blocked the view ahead from a camera at the top of the deflector. It also of course means that the camera would have blocked the view from the rearview mirror - though I don't know if that would be an issue or not for the OP :)

Thanks for that, I was'nt sure where the best POV would have been, if the 987 is the same the best place will be at the bottom, and yes it does have a little tab in the middle of the bottom, I'm going to have a trial fitting in a bit, I'll try the bottom first, will look neater as well, and I've already stopped the shake and squeeking noises by adding felt around the edges of the deflector.

Well the proof is in the pudding as they say, I attached the cam to the bottom of the deflector and it's just about a perfect view, no rattle or shake and no camera shake, one of my better ideas that actually worked out ok, haha. :bana:

16 minutes ago, headless said:

Well the proof is in the pudding as they say, I attached the cam to the bottom of the deflector and it's just about a perfect view, no rattle or shake and no camera shake, one of my better ideas that actually worked out ok, haha. :bana:

Fair play, I think when I tried, the camera I used needed to clip at the top of the screen with a clamp - and we all know how much the screens flex when driving.

I have a different camera and fittings now - I think I will try it at the bottom of the screen and see what gives...

2 minutes ago, rowbos said:

Fair play, I think when I tried, the camera I used needed to clip at the top of the screen with a clamp - and we all know how much the screens flex when driving.

I have a different camera and fittings now - I think I will try it at the bottom of the screen and see what gives...

I think it helps that the camera is really tiny, so sticks very well with the velcro, I'm really chuffed with the result!!!

I thought that was a very good video and stable. Can't read number plates from the video, but it would (god forbid) give an insurance company some footage to work out what went wrong. The wind deflector certainly looks a good place to mount a dash cam.

@jon61 I picked up a go pro specific microphone for my cycling videos and placed it just under my shirt collar. The wind noise was dramatically reduced, but voice was fine. Might be worth investing £20 in one of those.

1 hour ago, headless said:

I think it helps that the camera is really tiny, so sticks very well with the velcro, I'm really chuffed with the result!!!

Great stuff, I tried this with a cheapo Chinese Go Pro copy Sj4000, with the camera and mount it just shook like crazy.

I should add I now mount my camera just left of the rearview mirror, it doesn't obstruct anything and pick up the front of the car well.

You've started something now.  I bought a Nextbase Duo (front and rear facing cam) in the Maplin closing down sale for £65.  Had issues hardwiring in due to the lack of clearance when the cover is reinstated over the fuse panel.  Have now stuck in the same position as you and it provides a great front and rear view.  Not tested yet thought to see what the shake factor is.  If it works, it will be ace.

My only concern is forgetting to unplug as the centre console power seems to be perm live - I don't want to forget and come back to a dead battery.

4 minutes ago, DavidL said:

You've started something now.  I bought a Nextbase Duo (front and rear facing cam) in the Maplin closing down sale for £65.  Had issues hardwiring in due to the lack of clearance when the cover is reinstated over the fuse panel.  Have now stuck in the same position as you and it provides a great front and rear view.  Not tested yet thought to see what the shake factor is.  If it works, it will be ace.

My only concern is forgetting to unplug as the centre console power seems to be perm live - I don't want to forget and come back to a dead battery.

Yeah, I'm scared of that too, the adapter that plugs into the power socket lights up blue and it did'nt go off with the ignition, so I think it's permanently live unless it does off after so long...anybody know?????

1 hour ago, Pinewood said:

@jon61 I picked up a go pro specific microphone for my cycling videos and placed it just under my shirt collar. The wind noise was dramatically reduced, but voice was fine. Might be worth investing £20 in one of those.

Thanks but I'm using an old GoPro Hero 2 where you can't plug in an external microphone if the GoPro is in the housing. I didn't necessarily want to pick up driver-passenger dialogue anyway :shutup:, just to get rid of the rattling noise while picking up engine sounds etc. In any event, when I changed to a 981 I moved my GoPro mount to the windscreen, left of the mirror (like Southy mentioned above), so no more rattles. It also picks up more of the external view there too, although as I now have a light-coloured fascia it picks up bad reflections of that on bright days.

58 minutes ago, Pinewood said:

Wouldn't the 12v cigarette  lighter socket power down after 15 mins or so?

I don't know the answer to this on a 987, but there are several threads on here that will tell you if you can find them. Be careful to look for your specific model though as the answer varies between different models (and for later cars at least, I think also depends whether the accessory is drawing current or not). I think it's usually better to hard-wire into a circuit that you know switches off, if that's what you want (though compared to the simplicity of a 986, nothing in these car's wirings is quite so straightforward when so many circuits are connected to control modules, digital buses etc).

I like the way that the speedo is nicely obscured ;), no picking your nose allowed with that view!  I have mounted mine behind the rear view mirror and routed the wire around the windscreen and plugged into the cigarette socket in the glovebox which disconnects after 30 mins. It’s barely visible from the driving seat and took 5 mins to install.  

29 minutes ago, Greenman said:

I like the way that the speedo is nicely obscured ;), no picking your nose allowed with that view!  I have mounted mine behind the rear view mirror and routed the wire around the windscreen and plugged into the cigarette socket in the glovebox which disconnects after 30 mins. It’s barely visible from the driving seat and took 5 mins to install.  

There's a socket in the glovebox as well???? haha, I did'nt know that, there's one under the flap for the cigarette ashtray thingy in the middle and one in the back box thingy between the seats, have I missed any more????

6 hours ago, headless said:

Now try it with the hood down. Will the buffeting affect it?

I mounted a lens for the Innovv C3 on the rollover bar, must have nudged it closer fiddling about one time, low speed fine, high speed the flex of the wind deflector rattled against the  lens and knocked it out of focus.

It's the answer to 'does the deflector flex'  :-)

Archived