Has anyone put there front number plate on the car without using the plastic frame

the baron

My frame for what ever reason is cracked and not siting right, was thinking of forgoing this and just screwing straight on the bumper, anyone done this and if so do you have a pic.

thank you in adavance

Yes when I got my private plate last month, I thought the plinth spoilt the look of it and I also wanted shorter width plates fitted too so the plinth just wouldn’t have looked right.  I took the plinth off, measured the distance of the 2 holes remaining that mounted it to the front bumper and ensured that my new front number plate covered the holes.  Looks much cleaner.  Here is a photo.  I mounted the screws at the top. 

YNe2Py8.jpg

I believe there are a few GT3, etc owners who have gone for the stick on plates if you know what I mean!

I have read some posts where they didn’t want there bumpers drilled so asked the OPC’s not to fit the plinths and they stuck on the ‘big stickers’ number plate

IIRC I seem to remember a member here who did this but found the curve on the bumper a bit too much for the sticky stuff he was using so it tended to spring off. His solution was to heat the plate with a hot air gun and bend it slightly to follow the curve of the bumber, it then stayed on fine.

1 minute ago, Topbox said:

His solution was to heat the plate with a hot air gun and bend it slightly to follow the curve of the bumber, it then stayed on fine.

Yes, this or use the metal ones so can shape them to the bumper before fitting. 

5 hours ago, Saxosim said:

Yes when I got my private plate last month, I thought the plinth spoilt the look of it and I also wanted shorter width plates fitted too so the plinth just wouldn’t have looked right.  I took the plinth off, measured the distance of the 2 holes remaining that mounted it to the front bumper and ensured that my new front number plate covered the holes.  Looks much cleaner.  Here is a photo.  I mounted the screws at the top. 

YNe2Py8.jpg

That looks good, thanks for the picture, Ive done a similar thing but not used the screws just double sided strong as nails double sided tape, although I’ve been had to mount higher up to hide a host of horrible marks, but it looks better than than the old plinth.

8 minutes ago, the baron said:

That looks good, thanks for the picture, Ive done a similar thing but not used the screws just double sided strong as nails double sided tape, although I’ve been had to mount higher up to hide a host of horrible marks, but it looks better than than the old plinth.

Thanks no problem, yes I contemplated just using strong self adhesive tape instead but I wondered if it would blow off with the wind hitting the plate on a motorway run as it only partially sits on the bumper surface.  The screws don’t look too bad so quite happy.  May try the tape next time though.  Yes the old plinth looked ugly

On 21/04/2018 at 7:20 PM, jimbob2911 said:

mine is stuck on with strong tape.  no issues.  I did bend plate for 48 hrs prior to get a bit of curve in it 

Yep that seems to work well, although due to it sitting slightly higher its at an interesting angle, most wouldn’t notice but my ocd is kicking in again, wonder how long it will last with the aerodynamics of the car pushing down on in.

On ‎21‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 7:20 PM, jimbob2911 said:

mine is stuck on with strong tape.  no issues.  I did bend plate for 48 hrs prior to get a bit of curve in it 

Your arms must have been really sore after all that time bending ;) 

I have never had a frame, the first plates were stuck on and were fine, when I got the personal plates I used the 3M stuff and they fell off very quickly despite all the usual precautions (cleaning, plenty of tape etc.). A guy did it for me at Autoglass using whatever brand of tape they use and the plate has been fine since. Moral - don't use 3M tape.

Or use the correct 3M tape - as they actually make tape for numerous applications.

for example, the "VHB" tape is used by many manufacturers to stick on trim, GPS aerials etc and thus really will last.

Alternatively use the rear view mirror double sided pads that can be bought from your local factors.

3 hours ago, lawrencequinn said:

I like the front plateless look of the Porsches in the US. Could you use old school stick on plates slightly higher as on many old E type Jags?

I think there legal as long as it’s not in the classic black and white style of the old aluminium plates of yesteryear.

2 hours ago, LordGrover said:

No mention of legality or otherwise here: CLICK.

Not sure they would really care as long as they get your business, its not down to them, its your duty to check, but i still think it would be fine

8 hours ago, Patt said:

Or use the correct 3M tape - as they actually make tape for numerous applications.

for example, the "VHB" tape is used by many manufacturers to stick on trim, GPS aerials etc and thus really will last.

Alternatively use the rear view mirror double sided pads that can be bought from your local factors.

Okay let me re phrase that, don't buy the 3M tape from Halfords, I knew someone on here worked for them (3M), in the past I have praised their products.

I had a stick on plate on an MX5 for years without any issue at MOT time or from the plod. This was mounted high, on the top/front of the nose cone, in the vintage Jag manner, as any lower would have been too curved. However, it's strictly speaking not legal, as the number plate should be 'vertical' and there's no way a stick on plate can be stuck to the curve at the front. I only checked the regs after someone argued that a stick on plate wasn't legal. Turns out maybe they were correct, but for the wrong reason.

On 4/21/2018 at 12:46 PM, Saxosim said:

YNe2Py8.jpg

@Saxosim That looks smart - Where did you get the smaller plate from or have you cut it down yourself?

1 hour ago, paulchamby said:

@Saxosim That looks smart - Where did you get the smaller plate from or have you cut it down yourself?

Thanks @paulchamby I got them made to this size by a local number plate shop to me called Alidrew.  Only £24 for the pair made to my size request.  I think they also do mail order too.  Other online places that did custom sizes were over £50 a pair by the time you shipped them so I was really pleased with this place.  @Davidbf1.com can also vouch for how good this place is as he also had a spare front plate made up.

Yes indeed, although I shortened my GTS’ front flinth to then used h.d. Velcro to attach the plate for clean look.

Number plate plinth shortened

Still needs minute trimming to exactly match the slightly different bumper profile as you move in back towards the centre, from where the original plinth-edges were, but it’s only slight. I need to fill, smooth and spray the join on the plinth on the top section, but it’s really only noticeable very close up, if you’re looking for it.

18 hours ago, TomGW said:

However, it's strictly speaking not legal, as the number plate should be 'vertical' and there's no way a stick on plate can be stuck to the curve at the front. I only checked the regs after someone argued that a stick on plate wasn't legal. Turns out maybe they were correct, but for the wrong reason.

Interesting. Mines vertical to the car as its stuck along the top edge, but obviously not flat. 

Archived