Some questions...

DullWitch

I've posted some details of my car in Members Rides and I have some specific questions...

1 - the exhaust (twin outlet) is deeply resonant at about 2750 rpm +/- 300 (when under load). Is that normal or has the PO fitted some sort of aftermarket exhaust/backbox? It's lovely a 3500+ but that's not easily achieved in South London

2 - the light switch when off: It's not vertical, nor is it exactly in line with the vent. Is this normal or just an oddity of the build of my car? (yes, it slightly irks me)

41631018432_2edb85fa5a_z.jpg

3 - the PO has put a nicely patinated Porsche crest on the trunk. Odd as the one on the frunk is as good as new. Anyway, I am assuming that it'll be stuck on and these are not drill-on items (on the front)

4 - I have electric comfort (driver's memory) seats. Why would there be a short seatbelt receiver (about 4cm) on the front bar under the passenger seat. The red button on the receiver says "Center" on it. There's no sign anywhere else of extra/harness type belts.

I did do a quick search but perhaps used the wrong terms as I drew a blank

Thanks

1. Sounds like you may have an aftermarket exhaust on it, many of these do tend to drone at that sort of engine speed. Have a quick look to see if there is one large back box (original) or two separate boxes connected to the rear pipes (aftermarket)

I think all badges are just stuck on and can be removed by sawing a piece of dental floss behind.

Could 4. be something to do with fitting child seats in the front that has been forgotten?

The front Porsche crest has two pins that go throught the bonnet and are affixed from underneath with two nuts.

You can buy stick on ones though which I'd imagine is what the rear one is.

Sazzy, Thanks. A bit of dental floss, much glue remover and a wipe over with some colour restorer (polish) and it's gone. Thanks

Nobbie, Thanks to you too. It's clearly aftermarket (mild steel front boxes (with a vent???)) and what looks like stainless back boxes

41672124321_44e8a431f8_z.jpg

26805097887_37780c344f_z.jpg

1 hour ago, Nobbie said:

1. Sounds like you may have an aftermarket exhaust on it, many of these do tend to drone at that sort of engine speed. Have a quick look to see if there is one large back box (original) or two separate boxes connected to the rear pipes (aftermarket)

I think all badges are just stuck on and can be removed by sawing a piece of dental floss behind.

Could 4. be something to do with fitting child seats in the front that has been forgotten?

I noticed the same seat belt buckle under the passenger seat of mine today too, pretty sure its an old child seat fixing option from the good old days...

If you don't have a young child, that child seat bar is a popular buy second hand.

Noticed your exhaust in the other thread. Looks like a standard eBay backbox. Either get a balance pipe welded in or look for an alternative; original Porsche (breaker?) or Carnewal for the discerning.

Light switch might be a VAG item, or is that ignition I forget, in which case not expensive to replace.

Thanks all

On the drivers door, at the front of the door handle/release mechanism (upper, front of the whole sweep of the armrest) is a small yellow light, pointing forwards, that seems to come on when the door is open. Too small and underpowered to be a courtesy light so...?

12 minutes ago, DullWitch said:

Thanks all

On the drivers door, at the front of the door handle/release mechanism (upper, front of the whole sweep of the armrest) is a small yellow light, pointing forwards, that seems to come on when the door is open. Too small and underpowered to be a courtesy light so...?

Orientation light for finding the door handle in the dark

That one (forward facing) also illuminates (feintly) the headlight switch, which is why you wont find one on the passenger side.

There are a few around the cabin, including one up near the roof latch which illuminates the centre console around the gearstick etc.

11 minutes ago, DullWitch said:

Me again...

The offside front indicator has some water/condensation in it. Replacement lenses seem easy enough to come by but no guides to removal and fitting. I assume it's accessible from behind (ie pop the light unit)

Thanks!

The side repeaters below the front wings (these just clip out) or the headlamps? Also, do you have litronic headlamps by any chance?

Ah, the headlamp quadrants. It's best to remove the headlamps and then unclip these. 

The user's manual / YouTube will show you how to remove the headlamps. You should have a headlamp removal tool / wrench. Pull the carpet back on the sides of the front luggage compartment and there will be a bung on each side. This needs to be removed and then the wrench needs to be inserted and rotated clockwise to release the headlamp. You should be able to maneuver it out. Refitting is simply the reverse. 

I asked about litronics as the picture you show of the headlamp switch appears to have a blank where the manual levelling dial would sit. Cars with litronics don't have this. 

10 hours ago, james_ly said:

How bad is the exhaust drone? I keep umming and ahhing over whether to get a louder exhaust. Leaning towards keeping standard as it sounds amazing over 5k anyway. 

I must be getting used to it but it's a very resonant, deep noise. Not quite shaking your fillings out but not far off.

I am not sure I want more noise, but I cannot hear "flat 6" out of it, and I'd love to get that noise

Archived