981 Sound + upgrade

Cupola981

Hi there I’ve got a 981s with the sound + audio. and to be honest it’s absolutely rubbish. has anyone got any advice or pointers as where to go to get something sorted. I want to keep the car as factory as I can. No carpeted boom boxes or anything like that. 

Cheers Paul. 

This is something I'm currently considering. One option is to retrofit Bose, but this involves a replacement Bose amp plus speakers and optical cabling, so potentially messy not to mention expensive. The other option is to put subwoofers in the receptacles behind the seats, wired into a digital amp that is plumbed into the existing ASK amp under the passenger seat. 

15 minutes ago, spook said:

This is something I'm currently considering. One option is to retrofit Bose, but this involves a replacement Bose amp plus speakers and optical cabling, so potentially messy not to mention expensive. The other option is to put subwoofers in the receptacles behind the seats, wired into a digital amp that is plumbed into the existing ASK amp under the passenger seat. 

15 minutes ago, Cupola981 said:

Had a quote from a place here in Sheffield to replace the amp mids and woofers in the doors and new tweeters in the dash grilles all concealed and reversible all with Audison kit £1600 ?

Arrrgh. With my option 2, you could get away with having to replace the speakers. If you fit the two additional subs running off the digital amp, you can dial back the bass from the front speakers and leave it to the subs for an instant improvement in sound quality. I did this in an Audi once.

Just now, spook said:

Arrrgh. With my option 2, you could get away with having to replace the speakers. If you fit the two additional subs running off the digital amp, you can dial back the bass from the front speakers and leave it to the subs for an instant improvement in sound quality. I did this in an Audi once.

Hmm don’t know what to do ? I’m not in heavy garage or anything but you can’t even turn something good up without the speakers vibrating or the door cards rattling it really is poor and it’s not even the basic set up. I’ve got transit with a bog standard ford set up that puts the boxsters to shame.  

The previous owner of my 981 spent nearly £2000 on a sound upgraded system. All done so it's OEM looking. It sounds fantastic better than Bose better than any boxster i have had. I did put up a post about it with the work the car got and bills and a breakdown of what was fitted.   

16 minutes ago, fat haggis said:

The previous owner of my 981 spent nearly £2000 on a sound upgraded system. All done so it's OEM looking. It sounds fantastic better than Bose better than any boxster i have had. I did put up a post about it with the work the car got and bills and a breakdown of what was fitted.   

I’d be most appreciative of the details if it’s not to much trouble 

thanks Paul. 

2 hours ago, Cupola981 said:

I’d be most appreciative of the details if it’s not to much trouble 

thanks Paul. 

here you go mate . , the car sounds fantastic . .........hope this helps . its all oem looking you wouldn't know it has the stuff in it .....

Seems to be a constant with any Boxster that replacing any component of the sound system will produce an increase in quality. The money goes into chassis development not luxuries!

The 981 has a sound system ...............? ? I generally listen to Radio 6 cylinder ?

Joking apart the Bose setup seems pretty ok but with the roof down which is normal driving its always going to compromised.

I must admit,in my 981 the sound system is cr*p also but the music is always dialled down ,windows/roof down to listen to the exhaust!

8 hours ago, T24RES said:

I’m happy with my 981 Bose system, a massive improvement. 

Previously I had Bose in the 550 anniversary, tbh that was rubbish. 

4 hours ago, RBD914 v2 said:

Yes I have to agree that the Bose in the 981 sounds better than that fitted in my last 987.

I had Bose in the 987 and I also have it in the 981, it seems to get a bashing from a lot of people but I think its really good...I turn the Bass down a bit, Treble up and its cracking to my ears...

1 hour ago, Stuart21UK said:

I had Bose in the 987 and I also have it in the 981, it seems to get a bashing from a lot of people but I think its really good...I turn the Bass down a bit, Treble up and its cracking to my ears...

I had standard audio in the 987.1 and it was cr*p!  

Bose in my Black Edition I think is pretty good. As you say turn the bass down a tad and treble up a tad and it keeps me happy.   

On ‎7‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 7:07 PM, Toeside said:

The 981 has a sound system ...............? ? I generally listen to Radio 6 cylinder ?

Joking apart the Bose setup seems pretty ok but with the roof down which is normal driving its always going to compromised.

+1 for Radio 6 cylinder. I could live without my Bose system and just listen to the chatter of the 6 cylinder!

Have to admit, the Bose is pretty impressive. I think I was spoiled by my A7 sound System. But then again, when I had my Megane 265 Trophy, I don't think anything can be as bad as that system - my phone speakers were more bassy

986 Bose was improved with some selective sound deadening and replacing the Porsche head unit.

981 Bose is streets ahead, way louder , crisper and I love the ability to set the memory for each input separately.  Thus DAB has been set with more treble than the ipod etc..etc..

For OP I would start with door cards off and address the rattles and a bit of sound deadening while there.  You can then look a the speakers (probabaly paper cone cr*p) see how much depth you have to play with , and replace with some after market ones.

If that still doesn't give you the sound you are looking for, then look at filling the holes behind the seats (where Bose has speakers) with some mid/bass speakers.  Preferably run off a separate small amp.  Most amps you can filter out a lot of the frequencies so shouldn't be rocket science.  A weekends work pottering and prob a couple hundred quid if you shop well.  The good news is you don't have the fibre to worry about.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm replacing the window regulator in my 996. It is aligned where the glass attaches to it - to the regulator. I'd assume it is the same for this car. So no I don't think you can see the brackets which attach the glass to the regulator in that pic. Once the bose bass speaker is off there is a massive hole. It's only 5 or 6 silver screws. I removed that too but no pic. That leaves a hole to the front of the door and it should allow you to access the front bracket. You may not have access to the rear bracket though with just that speaker off. There is no foam liner like the 996. Door panel off and you can see the gubins as per that pic . 

• 2 months later...

O.K to resurrect this thread...........I have decided to keep my Boxster GTS and lavish some cash on it. Currently liaising with DB Carbon on some interior bling and looking to upgrade the sounds.

I have SP+ and have been studying the technical manual. I see that the Cayman is fitted with additional rear mid-range speakers. In the Boxster, before I start ripping the doors apart can anyone categorically confirm if with SP+ there are 2 speakers in each door ? being a woofer and mid range ? with tweeter in the dash ?

My understanding for SP+ in the Boxster 981 is 7 speakers. 2 in each door, 2 tweeters in dash and the centre speaker.

I have been let down by 2 local "professionals" and now looking at DIY speaker upgrade.

At this stage I am not planning on ditching the ASK amp.

Thanks for your help. 

Archived