'PORSCHE' boot badge placement/measurement?

DanMumford

Hey guys,

Just wondering if anyone would be kind enough to measure the distance from the bottom of each letter in the 'PORSCHE' badge to the edge of the boot lid?

I have one to put on mine and it comes with a straight template, but as I understand, if you put it on straight, it will look odd because of the curve of the boot lid?

Thanks!

Well on my 981 ‘PORSCHE’ DECAL (rather than the Boxster that Richard defines above) spacing are as follows

for the  O, S, C and E measurement is from centre of letter. For R and H each leg is measured. All in mm.

92; 96;  98,99;  99; 98;  97,96;  93.

there is a slight arc in the placement but the boot lid is arched slightly more.

48 minutes ago, Greenman said:

Well on my 981 ‘PORSCHE’ DECAL (rather than the Boxster that Richard defines above) spacing are as follows

for the  O, S, C and E measurement is from centre of letter. For R and H each leg is measured. All in mm.

92; 96;  98,99;  99; 98;  97,96;  93.

there is a slight arc in the placement but the boot lid is arched slightly more.

That's great! Thanks very much! :thumbsup_anim:

`when the 981 had the badge removed as one of the options the Porsche badge is place slightly further down the boot lid than when both Porsche and Boxster badges are used. I found this as I bought my Boxster second hand and the original owner had it de-badged so I got Porsche in Leeds to put the Boxster badge back on.

I'm sure @Saxosim will be along soon to add comment, but we did his 986S recently - fitted the "Porsche" script (matte black).

We cut halfway between each letter on the cardboard template, laid each letter over the actual script letters on my 981, and then applied a small bit of sellotape to each "pair" of the now cut / individual template pieces. Result was the template all joined-back up as one piece, but with the correct curvature to make it look right.

Find the "vertical" centreline of the bottled, decide how far up from the rear edge you wanted the porsche script to sit, and hold the template there with blutac, Then insert each new letter from the script into the corresponding hole in the template, and you're done*....

* removing blutac, cotton/thread etc as part of the completion!

When I did this a couple of years ago, I researched extensively and found the lollipop method looked the best way of doing it. There are some pics in about the middle of my running report thread. Link above.

As @Davidbf1.com mentioned we recently installed 981 size badges onto my boot lid of my 986 and I am so pleased with the results.  I have measured from the bottom of the letter P and letter E to the boot lid edge and it’s 12cm.  We mainly eyeballed it for its initial height position to see where it looked right in alignment with the top edge of the lights etc then measured to get it bang on before committing.  We also used cotton running from the edge of one light to the other light and from the centre of the 3rd brake light down to the centre of the exhausts to locate the centre point.  As David mentioned using his 981 as a template was perfect and we then chopped up the paper template that I had and stuck it back together to gain the curve matching his 981.  The letter badges just don’t look right to me when you see them stuck on straight on a curved boot lid.

Here are a few photos that we took.  We didn’t add the Boxster S badges at first but added those the following day I think as I felt it was missing and needed to finish it.

KOPonMZ.jpg

wZUuNAB.jpg

RxweFaP.jpg

8yTVAPi.jpg

Nxx4ckc.jpg

8 minutes ago, DanMumford said:

@Saxosim Do you still have the cut up template? If so, don't suppose you would be willing to post it to me? I could then cut up the template I already have to match and then post yours back to you? Thanks!

Hi @DanMumford yes I do have the template still and your welcome to borrow it as long as you send it back again ?

Message me your address and I will send it across to you 

1 hour ago, toplad said:

How do you actually get the script/letters? 

Buy them.  Either copies or 2nd hand from ebay.

I have a set of the chrome "PORSCHE" from 981 that I removed a couple of weeks back, if you are interested.

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, toplad said:

It easy. 

Dental floss and sawing action, takes about 3minutes. 

Takes longer to get glue off that is left behind 

Little tip, soak some make-up pads in a car care tar and glue remover, place on the remaining adhesive for about 15-20 mins (not in the sun) and it should just peel away, rinse panel afterwards to remove tar and glue remover.

csl10 001csl10 002csl10 003csl10 005csl10 006

Archived