Are 986 prices finally on the way up??

Clivescoobydo

Having spent the last few months searching (UK) I don't think 'up' but seem stable since I started looking / purchase. Likely to fall in the Winter and pick up next Spring. There's a way to go before these start gaining any significant value.

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think anyone will see the value  of their 986 reduce in real terms, proviso being that it is kept in top condition. Good examples are definitely more in demand. This is where the value becomes less relevant as the cost of keeping said 986 in such saleable condition is not inconsiderable, in terms of cost (time if doing work yourself). Still, these costs are usually still considerably less than the monthlies on a more modern vehicle. I am happy with £2-£3k a year outlay to own one. Though I don't expect to get any of that outlay back come sale time. 

19 hours ago, Billzeebub said:

I don't think anyone will see the value  of their 986 reduce in real terms, proviso being that it is kept in top condition. Good examples are definitely more in demand. This is where the value becomes less relevant as the cost of keeping said 986 in such saleable condition is not inconsiderable, in terms of cost (time if doing work yourself). Still, these costs are usually still considerably less than the monthlies on a more modern vehicle. I am happy with £2-£3k a year outlay to own one. Though I don't expect to get any of that outlay back come sale time. 

What on earth do you spend £2-3k a year on?

i have a 1997 2.5 with nearly 200k on the clock and it wants for nothing, regularly serviced, and if something breaks the boys at Cotswold Porsche fix it, but I’d be hard pushed to spend £1000 per year, sometimes more but no where near the amounts you spend.

1 hour ago, the baron said:

i have a 1997 2.5 with nearly 200k on the clock and it wants for nothing, regularly serviced, and if something breaks the boys at Cotswold Porsche fix it, but I’d be hard pushed to spend £1000 per year, sometimes more but no where near the amounts you spend.

Possibly you're not including all your costs. 

For me, insurance, tax and mot alone are £500 pa roughly.  Annual inspection service is £300 give or take with oil and filter.  Then you have to fix bits that are broken or might be broken soon. £200 isn't much in parts so either you're doing little or no maintenance or you're buying cheapest second hand parts or both to keep it to £1000 pa. 

Easy to spend £2k in a year.  Set of tyres and brakes.  Water pump replacement and a couple of radiators. New exhaust. New clutch. Each one would take you over £2k with the other fixed annual costs. 

1 hour ago, the baron said:

OPC labour rates are probably double maybe more then CPS, so costs can soon mount. Anyway, I thought you didn't calculate such things. ? :)

I've found my thread from 2013 and at that time I had spent a little over 10K in 14.5 years so about £700 a year. In the last 5 years I have been servicing the car myself and probably spent another £1500 at a guess so that brings the annual cost down to nearer £600.

You may get an odd year with a big bill but I would expect for that to only be a couple of times in a decade.

5 minutes ago, topradio said:

I've found my thread from 2013 and at that time I had spent a little over 10K in 14.5 years so about £700 a year. In the last 5 years I have been servicing the car myself and probably spent another £1500 at a guess so that brings the annual cost down to nearer £600.

You may get an odd year with a big bill but I would expect for that to only be a couple of times in a decade.

So also you're not counting insurance, tax and mot in your annual running costs? 

29 minutes ago, mike597 said:

For me, insurance, tax and mot alone are £500 pa roughly.  Annual inspection service is £300 give or take with oil and filter.  Then you have to fix bits that are broken or might be broken soon. £200 isn't much in parts so either you're doing little or no maintenance or you're buying cheapest second hand parts or both to keep it to £1000 pa. 

Easy to spend £2k in a year.  Set of tyres and brakes.  Water pump replacement and a couple of radiators. New exhaust. New clutch. Each one would take you over £2k with the other fixed annual costs. 

I wasn’t including tax and insurance as that is a given on any car.

i did replace water pump and starter motor this year at CPC and the bill was £700 but most years it’s just servicing etc.

And no I don’t do the minimum and  when parts need replacement  I only use high quality parts as the car will never be sold.

47 minutes ago, mike597 said:

Yep agree Mike, do 7 to 8000 miles p.a. in the 986, serviced yearly over four years ownership an easy 1500 plus a year. Last sevice had water pump, expansion bottle and a new under tray,  total with service, north of £1700. Oh had two new Michelins and a wheel refurb too.

I think the difference in figures here is where some of us are reporting 'all in' figures and others are reporting only the 'maintenance costs'.

I prefer to look at the total cost of ownership.  Neglecting to include the tax, insurance and mot is hiding some of the costs from yourself.  I might choose to hide them from the wife maybe but not from myself.. 

I don't agree it's the same for any car either.  Insurance and tax depend on the model of car. I pay more for both to have a porsche than if I had say a bmw 1 series which might be free of tax.  Indeed if I didn't have a boxster in the garage I simply wouldn't have a third car so the total cost of ownership is the only meaningful figure. 

I do agree with around £1k per year for maintenance is fair on average without going overboard. 

If you're considering the car as an investment you have to consider total cost of ownership in order to see whether or not it is appreciating actually at all. 

Actually goo

11 minutes ago, topradio said:

But surely you have to add a value for the ownership and driving experience otherwise what's the point of having it?

On top of the maintenance cost I spend a further ~£500 per year on insurance & tax + fuel

Actually good point, I don’t take into account fuel maybe that should be calculated in then I will be up to £3000 plus per year easily.

12 minutes ago, topradio said:

But surely you have to add a value for the ownership and driving experience otherwise what's the point of having it?

On top of the maintenance cost I spend a further ~£500 per year on insurance & tax + fuel

Personally, I don't count fuel as an ownership expense.  That would be the same more or less regardless of the car.  I rarely drive somewhere I don't need to so whether I take the boxster or another car the fuel would be used regardless. If I left the car in the garage all year without moving it the running (fixed + maintenance) costs would be more or less they same. 

Anyway there's no way these car are appreciating in real terms.  My car would have to be appreciating in purchase price by over £2k a year just for me to break even. 

I agree that they aren't appreciating at all never mind in real terms.

I believe that if I maintain mine in the same condition its value won't go down any more, but its not really going to rise in price for another decade at which point it will be 30 years old. By which time I might be able to get my comestibles delivered by drone as well :whistle1: 

2 minutes ago, topradio said:

I believe that if I maintain mine in the same condition its value won't go down any more, but its not really going to rise in price for another decade at which point it will be 30 years old. By which time I might be able to get my comestibles delivered by drone as well :whistle1: 

?

3 hours ago, topradio said:

I always get my comestibles delivered by handmaiden.

11 hours ago, mike597 said:

I rarely drive somewhere I don't need to so whether I take the boxster or another car the fuel would be used regardless.

I regularly drive somewhere I don't need to go to just for the sheer fun of it.

19 minutes ago, mike597 said:

you must not have kids then or if you do you must have a far more understanding wife

I have kids 3 off,  the youngest is 9 and not so much an understanding wife but more happy to see the back of me every so often. Especially if I take one of the kids with me so she can have some peace and quite.

53 minutes ago, Darkstar said:

I have kids 3 off,  the youngest is 9 and not so much an understanding wife but more happy to see the back of me every so often. Especially if I take one of the kids with me so she can have some peace and quite.

Good for you.  I rarely get to take just one child , either it's both or neither and as result the boxster gets very rarely used. I'm trying to use these facts to justify a 4 seater ;)

1 hour ago, mike597 said:

Good for you.  I rarely get to take just one child , either it's both or neither and as result the boxster gets very rarely used. I'm trying to use these facts to justify a 4 seater ;)

Sounds like you should sell a 911 to the wife at least you'd get out more ?

Archived