Are 986 prices finally on the way up??

Clivescoobydo

6 hours ago, Danncus said:

Hopefully, I’m going to be in a position to buy a 986 soon once I sell my Heritage shelled MG Midget. I don’t expect to make much money on a Boxster, but what would be best to keep value in, say, 3-5 years? A early 2.5 or a facelift 2.7 (similar condition)

thanks

if you going to keep it and are looking for an investment probably none in the short term, however in the long term the general consensus is the very early cars with 2.5 engines, in launch spec, ie silver body, boxster red interior 

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Danncus I bought my car 4 1/2 years ago,  I'm pretty confident I could sell for a little more than I paid,  although all maintenance costs I have to accept I've mostly lost. 

Buy a car you like drive it and enjoy it,  if it goes up it in value that's a massive bonus :)

4 minutes ago, Southy said:

Buy a car you like drive it and enjoy it,  if it goes up it in value that's a massive bonus

My motto too

11 minutes ago, Southy said:

Buy a car you like drive it and enjoy it,  if it goes up it in value that's a massive bonus :)

This, this and more this...

Buy it, look after it, enjoy it as often as possible - if and when the time comes to sell and there's any increase in its value then that's great - but usually easily outweighed by what you've spent on keeping the car in good condition etc. Same with houses that people buy to live in, put your stamp on them - make them your home, cherish living there and again when you're moving any profit on what you paid initially is a bonus. 

37 minutes ago, NicGun said:

Buy it, look after it, enjoy it as often as possible - if and when the time comes to sell and there's any increase in its value then that's great - but usually easily outweighed by what you've spent on keeping the car in good condition etc. Same with houses that people buy to live in, put your stamp on them - make them your home, cherish living there and again when you're moving any profit on what you paid initially is a bonus. 

Totally with you on that.

The difference between a house and a car of course is that houses appreciate (in the long term at least) but only the more sought after classic cars will actually increase in value.

Also, as I've often said to my wife "you can sleep in a car but you can't drive a house" :)

As for 986 values, they have certainly bottomed out so there's plenty of potential for upwards movement but, as pointed out above, only for well cared for cars with desirable specs and special editions.

8 minutes ago, CliveH said:

Also, as I've often said to my wife "you can sleep in a car but you can't drive a house" :)

So how much did that one hurt? 

It always surprises me how some cars (normally owned by other people - never me!) can rise in value. Cars like a ‘98 Elise 111S. Probably around £26k new (nearly half a Boxster id guess). 7 years ago a good one would be around £8k. Now £20k

You can have the cake and eat it! 

I’d  be more than happy to enjoy a Boxster for a few years for the cost of maintenance and running costs and still have a similar value when time comes to sell. 

I’m considering selling mine for a 911 - I know, I know... I’m crying as I write this 😪

It is a 2000 (X) 2.7 in Arena Red with matching hardtop. 81.5k and part history. New tyres on the front in September and oil & filter change etc. MOT’d in December. 

Prices may be rising but i’d be open to offers over £5,000 for a quick sale. Located in Bedford. Plus: Drives like a demon. Had brakes and discs and under body brake pipes done 18 months ago. Negatives: needs a few little bits like AC rads.

Is this a realistic price and would anyone be interested before I list it... well known car at TIPEC south central. Owned 18 months and fourth owner. 

13 minutes ago, Dwdg said:

I’m considering selling mine for a 911 - I know, I know... I’m crying as I write this 😪

It is a 2000 (X) 2.7 in Arena Red with matching hardtop. 81.5k and part history. New tyres on the front in September and oil & filter change etc. MOT’d in December. 

Prices may be rising but i’d be open to offers over £5,000 for a quick sale. Located in Bedford. Plus: Drives like a demon. Had brakes and discs and under body brake pipes done 18 months ago. Negatives: needs a few little bits like AC rads.

Is this a realistic price and would anyone be interested before I list it... well known car at TIPEC south central. Owned 18 months and fourth owner. 

Probably.

17 minutes ago, Dwdg said:

Was going to get giddy then. A 911 for £5k, then I reread it.... 😂😂

3 minutes ago, Bez9794 said:

Was going to get giddy then. A 911 for £5k, then I reread it.... 😂😂

Not far off!

9 hours ago, CliveH said:

haha, we have an understanding - MrsH does house and garden, I do cars, simples :)

That's alright then.  Pretty much how it works here with Mrs A, however I made sure she got her 'roofless little number' (VW Eos) before I got mine! 😉

On 1 May 2019 at 11:36 AM, Menoporsche said:

Used car prices are weird since 2010 anyway as people are investing in desirable old cars rather than banks offering 0% interest. Witness the ugly 996 commanding premiums when previously they could barely be given away (I exaggerate but the point is correct). When interest rates go up, car values will come down. 

Not sure about interest rates but this latest government hair brained idea will drive prices up 🤗 :

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-6976559/UK-rid-diesel-petrol-cars-2030.html

41 minutes ago, Clivescoobydo said:

Not sure about interest rates but this latest government hair brained idea will drive prices up 🤗 :

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-6976559/UK-rid-diesel-petrol-cars-2030.html

If that’s the case I’m not sure it will.

• 1 year later...
5 minutes ago, fizz said:

They're are still strong money and weird the Covid affect on car prices. With the green agenda coming I can see only one way combustion engine examples going as demand out strips supply ☝

I guess we will have to see if they are still for sale in a few months. At those prices I suspect they will be. I think it is very hard for most people to justify paying more for a 986 than they would for a Gen 2 987 or indeed a 996 or 997.

If I were a collector, I think I would want an early 2.5 as the genesis of the Boxster line.

4 hours ago, Lennym1984 said:

I guess we will have to see if they are still for sale in a few months. At those prices I suspect they will be. I think it is very hard for most people to justify paying more for a 986 than they would for a Gen 2 987 or indeed a 996 or 997.

If I were a collector, I think I would want an early 2.5 as the genesis of the Boxster line.

Yep, early launch colours 2.5 or the Anniversary run out special.

5 hours ago, Clivescoobydo said:

That 2001 car appears to never have had an MOT? On only 5k, maybe it was just left in a garage?

Archived