Are 986 prices finally on the way up??

Clivescoobydo

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My wife mumbled about a 911 for 4 seats a few years ago. Given my starting position that I hate 911s on principle, it didn't work.  By now my children are already 12 and 10 and both are tall for their age. Last month we went to the OPC and I pointed out the back seats in a 997.  I don't think my girls would want to be in the back for more than 10 minutes - and considering most of their friends live 15 minutes away, there's really no point :)

It's a point of principle. The 911 evolved from a VW Beetle out of need in the postwar 40s. No-one else puts an engine over the rear axle for obvious reasons.  Instead of Porsche dropping the design in the mid-70s and putting their phenomenal engineering skills into perfecting a mid-engined car - in fact they perfected a front-engined car, the 928, which by all accounts was hugely accomplished in handling etc, but was then squished due to customer nostalgia - they concentrate on making a silk purse out of an original sow's ear. Fine, I totally admit it's clear they've done that, but imagine what they could have done if they'd started with something sensible in the first place.  It took until post-2000 with the Carerra GT to finally crack that ideology, and we all know about restricting the Boxster performance. I don't care about iconic and I don't care about "character" which is a euphemism for a failing.

The 911 is a triumph of engineering and of marketing.  It's also a distraction.

Try driving one as intended and everything you wrote will evaporate in a cloud of rear tire smoke.

Driving a 911 hard is a great experience, it's immersive and absorbing process that requires practice and learning to get the best out of it. 

Brilliant machines and superbly capable, especially in the wet

i bought my 986 over a year ago (2001 2.7 boxster with a folder full of bills and servicing and 84000 on the clock) and have done around 2500 miles in it, i have enjoyed every mile and like to keep it under wraps and the miles off the clock. 

iam lucky to have a few cars and a van so its just a toy for me. 

i didnt buy my car because it was gonna go up in value but more that i feel its never gonna go down any. there is always going to be a market for a cheap porsche and the boxster is the way a lot of people go. i also do say there is no such thing as a cheap porsche, lol (£650 to get my key to open the doors proves it). 

one thing i do see is that everyone wants the boxster S so i can see a trend in this, get the none S as its possably rarer and will be harder to find in time so the price will go up more hahahahahaha, i can only hope!!!! :bana:

On 6 September 2018 at 7:39 PM, mike597 said:

Personally, I don't count fuel as an ownership expense.  That would be the same more or less regardless of the car.  I rarely drive somewhere I don't need to so whether I take the boxster or another car the fuel would be used regardless. If I left the car in the garage all year without moving it the running (fixed + maintenance) costs would be more or less they same. 

Anyway there's no way these car are appreciating in real terms.  My car would have to be appreciating in purchase price by over £2k a year just for me to break even. 

Ah but little or no depreciation ?

23 hours ago, Terryg said:

No

Sorry to break it to you Terry, but it's your car that's dragging down the average increase in prices. Something to do with your subtle 'mods' I think?

6 minutes ago, Nobbie said:

Sorry to break it to you Terry, but it's your car that's dragging down the average increase in prices. Something to do with your subtle 'mods' I think?

That's why I know the answer is definitively no.

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...

37k isn't that low. Mortimer's always seem to have a good flow through of Boxsters though. 

9 hours ago, edc said:

37k isn't that low. Mortimer's always seem to have a good flow through of Boxsters though. 

It is when looking at my milometer which is sitting at 200,001 😂😂😂😂

On 12 de septiembre de 2018 at 9:58 AM, Terryg said:

For me YES!

Got lucky with mine due to stealthily buying cheap in UK and exporting. Even when including the duties and taxes etc, I would still hope to nearly double my money on what I paid 4.5 years ago :).

11 hours ago, el 3.2S said:

For me YES!

Got lucky with mine due to stealthily buying cheap in UK and exporting. Even when including the duties and taxes etc, I would still hope to nearly double my money on what I paid 4.5 years ago :).

Well done, for the rest of us  think the answer is still... not really

I had a Boxster go up a grand in a year,

has another go up £460 i six weeks.

another go up in 12 days.

i think it’s highly subjective and not indicative of a market trend. More a reflection of different buying and selling practices. 

The one I have at the moment I will keep indefinitely. If one day I read it’s worth £60k, I will probably just drive it with a little more care and hope it doesn’t ruin the experience*.

*I suspect that same day a packet of cheese and onion quavers will probably cost upwards of £3k 🤣🤣🤣

Hopefully, I’m going to be in a position to buy a 986 soon once I sell my Heritage shelled MG Midget. I don’t expect to make much money on a Boxster, but what would be best to keep value in, say, 3-5 years? A early 2.5 or a facelift 2.7 (similar condition)

thanks

2 hours ago, Danncus said:

Hopefully, I’m going to be in a position to buy a 986 soon once I sell my Heritage shelled MG Midget. I don’t expect to make much money on a Boxster, but what would be best to keep value in, say, 3-5 years? A early 2.5 or a facelift 2.7 (similar condition)

thanks

I don't think it will make any difference in price which one you got for. I bought my first one in early 2012 and my second in late 2013. The prices have been fairly static in all that time with the differential between models the same. 

Used car prices are weird since 2010 anyway as people are investing in desirable old cars rather than banks offering 0% interest. Witness the ugly 996 commanding premiums when previously they could barely be given away (I exaggerate but the point is correct). When interest rates go up, car values will come down. 

On 4/29/2019 at 11:16 PM, edc said:

They seem a decent outfit and source cars at the higher end of the market with good specs, hence the premium although I'm not sure that price is justified even for the very low mileage (surely that is low with an average of just over 2,000 miles pa??)

Archived