Are 986 prices finally on the way up??

Clivescoobydo

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Menoporsche said:

I can advertise one for 15k if it makes you feel better?

lol true advertising and actual selling price can be vastly different but noticed a lot of tidy examples at the higher end lately, rather than £5-6K.  Demand will outstrip 'tidy examples' supply at some point.......

I certainly think that the price of a nice 986S have gone up in the last couple of years. When I started looking 2003/4 cars with 70-80k were going for a bit under £7k, seem to be a bit higher now. They're not an investment, but they probably won't depreciate if you buy a nice example and don't put too many miles on it. You'll still have to pay for maintenance which can mount up pretty quick if you use a decent garage.

8 minutes ago, Nobbie said:

I certainly think that the price of a nice 986S have gone up in the last couple of years. When I started looking 2003/4 cars with 70-80k were going for a bit under £7k, seem to be a bit higher now. They're not an investment, but they probably won't depreciate if you buy a nice example and don't put too many miles on it. You'll still have to pay for maintenance which can mount up pretty quick if you use a decent garage.

True but anymore than the typical depreciation you see on an 'bog standard' hatchback or saloon?

15 minutes ago, Clivescoobydo said:

True but anymore than the typical depreciation you see on an 'bog standard' hatchback or saloon?

Think you misread, I don't think a nice 986S will depreciate at all?

Buy at the right price, pay a lot for maintenance and you'll be fine like me haha - mines is worth more than I paid, unfortunately I've paid a fair bit in upkeep and preventive work and fun mods :)

All that being said I couldn't buy my car for the same price I paid for it nearly 4 years ago.

I just need to stop this 997 itch that is getting stronger  :huh: 

57 minutes ago, Clivescoobydo said:

Demand will outstrip 'tidy examples' supply at some point.......

True of course, but one wonders when, when there are newer and better cars available. I think of someone who bought an immaculate 205 GTI in the mid or late noughties for 4 times what I sold mine for in the early nineties. But there, Peugeot had never really made a better one, their subsequent cars perhaps excepting the 306 were considered rather lame so there was demand without supply so price goes up. With the Boxster there are various flavours, 986, 987, eventually 981, none considered bad, so to me there is a "constant" supply of cars at a given value and therefore I see the demand for an immaculate 986 as being relatively lower. For the 924 and 944, aside from the 968 which were pretty rare anyway, I think Porsche turned the taps off for a 2+2 transaxle so again, no supply and therefore demand could rise.

I guess it depends what each buyer is looking for...

The same car advertised on;

November 2017 £9,950

April 2018 £11,000

And it has only done 2k miles since 2015? I would say, some delusional or stubborn sellers/dealers out there? ?

44 minutes ago, Menoporsche said:

True of course, but one wonders when, when there are newer and better cars available. I think of someone who bought an immaculate 205 GTI in the mid or late noughties for 4 times what I sold mine for in the early nineties. But there, Peugeot had never really made a better one, their subsequent cars perhaps excepting the 306 were considered rather lame so there was demand without supply so price goes up. With the Boxster there are various flavours, 986, 987, eventually 981, none considered bad, so to me there is a "constant" supply of cars at a given value and therefore I see the demand for an immaculate 986 as being relatively lower. For the 924 and 944, aside from the 968 which were pretty rare anyway, I think Porsche turned the taps off for a 2+2 transaxle so again, no supply and therefore demand could rise.

I guess it depends what each buyer is looking for...

Air cooled 911’s, golf GTI’s, Impreza’s ? you could argue better examples of those models have followed the original.......but the original that started it all is the one worth having ??

Nothing really selling up my way and although the time of year will have a lot to do with it, some of the examples I looked at in late March are still up for sale :blink:

50 minutes ago, Menoporsche said:

A few years ago some were being scrapped at 2k, so I don't imagine runners going below that.

Pretty much a parts car would be around $2k, even with the engine gone you could part it for more

Out of curiosity I checked WBAC and was offered £1950.

There are two 986S for sale near me that I looked at back in April/May and they are both still for sale. Both have dropped their price but still not sold. So forecourts prices can't be used as an indication of selling prices.

I bought my first 986S in 2015, 80k-ish miles, great history, very good condition £4500. When it was written off almost exactly two years later there was nothing comprable for sale at anywhere close to that price, £5.5k being the starting price and I eventually paid £6k for a similar car. Doesn't sound like a massive increase, but 20-25% over two years is significant...

1 hour ago, chrishak said:

Doesn't sound like a massive increase, but 20-25% over two years is significant...

Yes, but you bought it fairly cheaply by the sounds of it. Prices haven't really changed much at all for the 986 in the last few years. 

It wasn't particularly cheap - at the time there were lots of S's around the £4-£5,000 mark (which admittedly included some rubbish) but when I was looking last year, they were £5,000 upwards

I think that prices have levelled off for good sound cars. My 986 has pretty much hit the bottom and I would expect it to rise in value very slowly, although not by as much as it costs me to keep it on the road. 

There will always be sellers asking what some here will think crazy money but there are also buyers who do little homework and assume that if the dealer is asking a certain price then the car must be worth somewhere around that. After all these cars can wear the years well, especially if looked after. 

A few months ago we had that Lord watshisname asking something like 13K for a 97 or 98 pastel yellow example very similar to mine, albeit lower mileage, and he did sell it although I don't think he told us how much for. I wouldn't mind betting that he got most of what he was asking as he didn't sound like the sort to compromise. 

My 2003 3.2S with under 40,000 miles cost me 10K three years ago. I've spent a fair bit on it including a replacement IMS, but even with a very modest mileage I have no illusions I'd get my purchase price back! Oh and to-morrow I'm off to Revolution to diagnose and repair a worrying whine especially at 3,000 revs. Water pump or idler is 'favourite'.

Archived