Time to say goodbye

Jonny A

Well after 12 months and 3000 miles I think it’s time to get something a little more grown up. Whilst I love the Boxster I don’t get to use it much due to work commitments and it’s too small for family duties. So the hunt is on for a replacement, probably a Velar or a Macan, although I haven’t seen pricing on the new Macan yet. 

Trade in on the 718 isn’t amazing but I’ll be able to push a little more when I’ve nailed a replacement. 

Any thoughts, especially if you’ve made a similar move? 

I have one family car and the Boxster, as do many here. With two children it’s mathematically impossible to need more than two seats in both cars at the same time, until we include visitors and we only have them once or twice a year.  Children fight over who goes in the orange one. You’re sure you need to change?

Macan has lots of fans here. 

Yeah we have a Discovery family car, which is great but we have 4 kids so the maths can become complicated. I also find getting in and out is getting a bit awkward, nothing I can’t cope with but not ideal or elegant. 

I’ll be sad to see it go and will only do so if the deal is right, so may hold tight if it isn’t right. 

Just get a nice cheap barge as a 3rd car for the kid duties and keep the Porsche for weekends - Audi S8, RS6, XFR, XJ, 7 series etc should do the job ? anything with a big petrol engine pre-2006 should be able to be picked up for less than £5k - sure you can use man maths to sell it to the wife as costing less than the depreciation on the 718

Just washed it and boy does it look good, hmm let’s not be hasty!  

And the new Macan has failed emissions testing so may be delayed according my local Porsche dealer. They have very little to sell it seems. 

4 hours ago, Jonny A said:

Just washed it and boy does it look good, hmm let’s not be hasty!  

And the new Macan has failed emissions testing so may be delayed according my local Porsche dealer. They have very little to sell it seems. 

Porsche announce it is stopping production of all diesel engines, so delayed for good now!

@Jonny A  if you are beginning to have difficulty getting in and out (not sure if it's the Disco or the 718), but if it's the 718 you're unlikely to buy another Boxster - but if you can manage the ergonomics then a cheaper Boxster such as an early 981 or a 987 may be possible as an extra car for times when on your own or just with your good lady - if the outlay on the 718 isn't affordable or justified?  Many if not most use their Boxster as a pleasure only car so worth considering.  Warning - it may need some man-maths to make it work! ☺️

9 hours ago, MIkeyv60 said:

It suspended diesel prodution and sales a while back, the delays are due to the new regulations

Yes I know, but just read that they have now announced they are pulling out of diesel engines entirely. The delays have now become a full stop!

3 hours ago, RBD914 v2 said:

Yes I know, but just read that they have now announced they are pulling out of diesel engines entirely. The delays have now become a full stop!

It was only the media that didnt seem to know, At the festival of speed a few months ago the sales guys at Porsche said they wouldnt use diesel again as they didnt want to be associated with the VW dieselgate scandal.

Well I have a Velar for the morning and whilst it’s lovely to look at and a nice place to sit it isn’t exactly a sports car. Terribly cumbersome even in dynamic everything mode. Not for me, which is a shame because aesthetically it’s an attractive proposition. 

Might wait for the New Macan. 

Fair point although I know I’d be looking enviously at the new one and kicking myself. I can wait and if the new one is any good I’ll place an order. Or a bit of man maths might turn it into a 911!

2 hours ago, Jonny A said:

Err yeah, they don’t fit at all so I’d have to do some real funky maths! ?

:laugh:  So you have to sell the 718 for family duties, but the replacement might turn out to be a 911, which is just as incapable of family duties....

BUSTED.png

30 minutes ago, Boxstachimp said:

Problem solved! 

29973796607_cecffcea0d_b.jpg

Oh dear, no just no!!  The reason we bought our first discovery was to avoid people carriers of any description and those Fiats were just fugly!!  

Archived