Gear change quality

SDF1965

Mine is the sa,e from cold but fine when up to temp and my gearbox oil has already been changed. I've a genuine short shifter to put on and see how I get along with it. 

The gearchange on these is not a strong point!

Mine seems stupidly easy to get into gear, not experienced a gear change like it before but the throws are really long which I'm not keen on. I will be getting a short shift for it.

The TT's suffer from really hard shift from 1st to 2nd on the older ones, especially when cold, but a change in the viscosity of the gearbox oil can help, go lower.

There's a huge difference between my wife's base 2002 base Boxster and my 2004 S. The 5 speed shifts smooth as silk through all gears all the time. My 6 speed requires careful shifting, make sure it is fully in gear, and very stiff, for the first 1/2 mile. The 6 speed is never as smooth and easy as the speed. I believe this is generally true.

5 hours ago, SDF1965 said:

i have a short shift kit, was reluctant to install it thinking it may make the action worse, will press on and Let you all know if it makes a difference

Not necessarily worse, but it will require more effort for sure. 

As I have said before my SSK was much better after I put Jim04 s bearing kit in it, now it makes a bit of difference if it hasn't been driven for a while, but not much, once warm it goes through the gears really sweetly.

No I don't receive a commission.

My 6speed Anniversary (with short shift from factory) can be recalcitrant 1st & 2nd from cold, it is generally fine once car up to temp. I like these little foibles. To me it is character and it's good points hugely outweigh any compromises. I will change the gearbox oil next time it is in for a service

46 minutes ago, Billzeebub said:

My 6speed Anniversary (with short shift from factory) can be recalcitrant 1st & 2nd from cold, it is generally fine once car up to temp. I like these little foibles. To me it is character and it's good points hugely outweigh any compromises. I will change the gearbox oil next time it is in for a service

I think the gearbox oil service intervals is something like 9 years or 96k so if you haven't had it that long it might have been done already. 

7 hours ago, edc said:

I think the gearbox oil service intervals is something like 9 years or 96k so if you haven't had it that long it might have been done already. 

Isn’t it 12 years manual and 6 years PDK?  

I had the gearbox oil changed on my manual 2005 at 10 years and it definitely helped the change quality.  

4 hours ago, rowbos said:

I had the gearbox oil changed on my manual 2005 at 10 years and it definitely helped the change quality.  

Maybe but a PDK definitely isn't a 986. 

6 hours ago, rowbos said:

1 hour ago, edc said:

Maybe but a PDK definitely isn't a 986. 

1 hour ago, rowbos said:

True. That was included for completeness ?

You missed out Tips then. :licki: 

Ed, I know Tips used to be 96k when I had one so your idea of 9 years could well be right.

On 9/30/2018 at 2:15 AM, Anker BS said:

There's a huge difference between my wife's base 2002 base Boxster and my 2004 S. The 5 speed shifts smooth as silk through all gears all the time. My 6 speed requires careful shifting, make sure it is fully in gear, and very stiff, for the first 1/2 mile. The 6 speed is never as smooth and easy as the speed. I believe this is generally true.

It is funny you should say this. I have a 2.5 5 speed and the great shift is always very smooth and fast. I had assumed that it was just the result of care from the previous owners as everything else I ever read about the 986 gear change was generally negative (stiff, dodgy synchro, inaccurate etc). Maybe the 5 speed audi boxes are a bit more resilient? 

10 minutes ago, Lennym1984 said:

It is funny you should say this. I have a 2.5 5 speed and the great shift is always very smooth and fast. I had assumed that it was just the result of care from the previous owners as everything else I ever read about the 986 gear change was generally negative (stiff, dodgy synchro, inaccurate etc). Maybe the 5 speed audi boxes are a bit more resilient? 

The 5-speed gearbox in the 2.5 is very solid and it has a slick change (although the gear lever mechanism is overly long imo). 

20 hours ago, edc said:

Yeah, thanks. There is nothing in the pretty comprehensive service history to suggest it's been changed. As its not the costliest job in the world, think I will just try it anyway. Though, I suspect the issue will not be that simple! 

My gear change used to be lousy until I cleaned and lubricated the gearbox end shift linkage.

I removed the aluminium strengthener platie for access then cleaned all the moving parts thoroughly with an old toothbrush and brake cleaner. Then liberally sprayed each area with spray copper grease.

Now it shifts like a different car and is still good over 12 months later.

30 minutes ago, jonogt6 said:

My gear change used to be lousy until I cleaned and lubricated the gearbox end shift linkage.

I removed the aluminium strengthener platie for access then cleaned all the moving parts thoroughly with an old toothbrush and brake cleaner. Then liberally sprayed each area with spray copper grease.

Now it shifts like a different car and is still good over 12 months later.

Good shout,

Another tip is to bleed the clutch.

Yet another item that is usually missed with a FSH ;)

Update, installed the SSK yesterday, not too difficult , biggest issue was swapping the actual lever as it came assembled for LHD...

First proper drive this morning to work. I much prefer it, throw is how it should have been from the factory and a very positive action.

I would describe the action as ‘firm’ and no issues selecting the right gears.

provided coming weekends weather is good will follow jonogt6 advice and clean and re lube all the linkages

Archived