Track days in the 987

toplad

Hi all 

How many of you have done a track day in your 987. 

This is great site for Porsche appreciation, but don't see much about Boxster racing or track days. 

Wondering if there's much of a motorsports scene on here 

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There's a few of us that track our Boxsters - albeit not necessarily 987s - that said I'd agree there doesn't appear to be much appetite for that sort of thread on this forum.  

How to change it?

Get posting the details when you're attending a trackday - you may find that others will already be going or planning to go once they know you're attending.

In terms of racing a couple of the members here do race and will periodically post links to their pages about their exploits.

I've done just one track day in my 987 thus far - a TVR Club event at Cadwell. Very well organised and great fun. The day started cold and damp (it was in February) and I was incredibly anxious not to damage anything so pussyfooted around - as did everyone else!. As it warmed up and started to dry out, the tyres started to generate more grip and speeds increased. It was interesting to compare the Box to the TVRs that were present. I found I had a very small edge in straight line speed over my brother's Chimera 4 litre but I was willing to take the corners a good bit quicker than he was.

Overall, I'll certainly tackle another track day at some point. I had a session with an instructor and apart from giving me some very good tips, he remarked on how well balanced the car was, which was nice!

I've done 4 track days in my current and former Boxster 987's.  In the non-S I did Spa and Silverstone while in the S I've done Snetterton twice.

I find them both to be surprisingly quick and well suited to the track.  I have an Elise with a 220hp motor in it (so about 300hp/ton) which I've also tracked quite a bit and I would love to see how close they are in terms of lap time but it is back home in Australia so not easy to compare!  Both are very well balanced and the main difference is obviously weight driven with the Boxster less agile and down on output (240hp/ton) and heavier on consumables.  That said, the Boxster is still alot of fun on the track (and easier to drive with the PDK).

Track days are probably over for me until the weather improves next year.

Thanks guys. 

I have my first one in the 987 on Sunday morning (18th November) at Croft. 

Looking forward to it immensely, perhaps dualing with some faster cars, weather is forecast to be good too. 

2 hours ago, Nath said:

I've done 4 track days in my current and former Boxster 987's.  In the non-S I did Spa and Silverstone while in the S I've done Snetterton twice.

I find them both to be surprisingly quick and well suited to the track.  I have an Elise with a 220hp motor in it (so about 300hp/ton) which I've also tracked quite a bit and I would love to see how close they are in terms of lap time but it is back home in Australia so not easy to compare!  Both are very well balanced and the main difference is obviously weight driven with the Boxster less agile and down on output (240hp/ton) and heavier on consumables.  That said, the Boxster is still alot of fun on the track (and easier to drive with the PDK).

Track days are probably over for me until the weather improves next year.

Did you get the stereo fixed Nath?

13 minutes ago, RBD914 v2 said:

Did you get the stereo fixed Nath?

No, not yet.  Amp replacement required and not cheap!  It’s fine without for around town as happy enough to listen to the 6.  Will need to be sorted before next roadtrip

No need to feel guilty!  I think it was just the usual water ingress issues that these have when the masters of design think it is a good idea to put sensitive electronics low down in the chassis which also happens to be where the water ends up!  I put it in the same category as putting the battery under the bonnet and then having a battery dependent release to get to it.

I must book a track day in the Boxster. I feel a bit mortal in the TVR nowadays compared with the 987 - a combination of the low and flimsy doors, lack of roll over or any direction protection and full and brutal sensory assault of Blackpool’s finest. 

How much do you eat tyres on a track day? And brakes? Is it a case of having to change them after a good session?

i’ve done a few track days over the years, Palmersport days still the ultimate for me, luckily to have done 4 of them and not had to pay for any 😂

Not that extreme.  I’ve done two track days on the current set of tyres and there is still a fair bit of life left in them although another track day would see them done.  Brake pads I think would probably be good for at least 5 or 6 track days.  All depends on how you drive of course, I’m relatively sympathetic so your mileage may vary.

jealous of your Palmer sport experiences btw!

13 hours ago, TV8 said:

I must book a track day in the Boxster. I feel a bit mortal in the TVR nowadays compared with the 987 - a combination of the low and flimsy doors, lack of roll over or any direction protection and full and brutal sensory assault of Blackpool’s finest. 

I never had chance to track my TVR, only had it summer as the ownership experience wasn't something I couldn't get on with, but it was certainly very capable machine and I regret not doing it. 

Come to think of it, I've only tracked a Honda S2000, a couple of BM'S and a Cayman S. The Boxster is probably the best out of the bunch for a track day, although the BMW CSL with big A.P brakes all round was pretty good at Croft and Silverstone 

7 hours ago, toplad said:

I never had chance to track my TVR, only had it summer as the ownership experience wasn't something I couldn't get on with, but it was certainly very capable machine and I regret not doing it. 

What didn’t you like about the ownership experience? That said, I wouldn’t have one for everyday use. 

2 hours ago, Steve_C said:

I do a few track days each year.  I find the Boxster has ample power and great handling (even if I did boil the brake fluid!).

44182041970_90351e5c06_k.jpg

Is that a camera mounted onto the towing eye? Never thought of that, how have you attached it? If it's through the actual eye I'd have thought they wouldn't allow it as it will need removing before attaching the rope adding to the red flag time?

Boiling fluid is easily done within a couple of laps, I use Motul RBF660 fluid which is great - you'll have a job boiling that stuff!!

Update on this. 

The track day was great fun, car was superb and the handling was better than my 986, I was surprised by how much. 

I took it steady, limited the laps to 3-5 before returning to the pits for a check over. 

The car is still pretty handy, even if I was rusty and overly cautious most of the time, I even left the traction control on. 

The only slight problem was the brake pedal going a bit soft, but returned to normal when cool, pretty sure better brake fluid would sort it. 

Overall it was very nice gentleman's weekend as we stopped over in Darlington. Few beers and food on Saturday evening, track day on Sunday, nice pub lunch at a country pub in the break, then back on track for a few more laps before heading off at 3pm

I would recommend tracking the 987, but as an overall experience, the weekend away with cars and good food was excellent fun 

40 minutes ago, toplad said:

The only slight problem was the brake pedal going a bit soft, but returned to normal when cool, pretty sure better brake fluid would sort it. 

A set of GT3 front brake scoops to replace the standard set will be a lot less expensive and make a tangible difference to braking performance without needing any other mechanical changes - assumes everything is in good order in the first place.

Am sure you're aware but for anyone new to track driving - how the brakes are applied makes a big difference too - less time on the brake pedal but a lot more pressure when you are using them.  You wouldn't normally be so aggressive on the road - to my mind it's like an emergency stop that's dialled back a bit.

22 hours ago, Buzzfox said:

Is that a camera mounted onto the towing eye? Never thought of that, how have you attached it? If it's through the actual eye I'd have thought they wouldn't allow it as it will need removing before attaching the rope adding to the red flag time?

Boiling fluid is easily done within a couple of laps, I use Motul RBF660 fluid which is great - you'll have a job boiling that stuff!!

This is the mount: https://shop.bmw.co.uk/bmw-uk/en_GB/p/original-bmw-accessories/communication/entertainment/track-fix-action-cameras/PID_85822/

My towing eye is in the rear of the car in case of mishaps!

RBF660 is the fluid that I boiled.  Am now on Castrol SRF. 

4 hours ago, map said:

A set of GT3 front brake scoops to replace the standard set will be a lot less expensive and make a tangible difference to braking performance without needing any other mechanical changes - assumes everything is in good order in the first place.

Am sure you're aware but for anyone new to track driving - how the brakes are applied makes a big difference too - less time on the brake pedal but a lot more pressure when you are using them.  You wouldn't normally be so aggressive on the road - to my mind it's like an emergency stop that's dialled back a bit.

I used to brake like that (series of emergency stops) as that was always how I was taught too.  However, that led to me boiling the brake fluid (maybe due to it being a heavier car than my past vehicles).  Coming into Redgate at 100mph and finding the brake pedal go straight to the floor was not a pleasant experience!

Oh, and that was with the GT3 brake ducts and Carbotech race pads on the car.

53 minutes ago, Steve_C said:

I used to brake like that (series of emergency stops) as that was always how I was taught too.  However, that led to me boiling the brake fluid (maybe due to it being a heavier car than my past vehicles).  Coming into Redgate at 100mph and finding the brake pedal go straight to the floor was not a pleasant experience!

Oh, and that was with the GT3 brake ducts and Carbotech race pads on the car.

Interesting - it maybe that my choice of words was poor - how would you describe the sort of braking you now use?

Your Redgate experience sounds "focusing" to say the least 😳

A lot more progressive now and smoother.  Braking point slightly earlier so more time on the brakes.  Seems counter-intuitive to me but it works.

Having said that, a friend was passengering with me and said I am still the last of the late brakers so it's all relative I guess.

46 minutes ago, Steve_C said:

A lot more progressive now and smoother.  Braking point slightly earlier so more time on the brakes.  Seems counter-intuitive to me but it works.

Having said that, a friend was passengering with me and said I am still the last of the late brakers so it's all relative I guess.

OK - so this sounds similar to the approach I was trying describe.  

By "emergency stop" I was trying illustrate the degree of pressure applied to the pedal.  

With "dialled back" I hoped to show that this wasn't a stamp on the brakes, that it was more modulated (progressive as you said) but swift increase in pedal pressure compared to the urgency of an emergency stop.  That said I'm old enough to have learned to drive without ABS and that old school Emergency Stop approach has stayed with me. Regardless I aim to spend the minimum possible time on the brakes that the chassis allows me to exploit.

Each bend/corner is a single smooth braking action, not a series of applications.

Suspect there's little practical difference in our approaches - it's just you explain it better 👍

I’ve raced both 986S and 987S.

Unless you start interfering with the yaw sensor you can’t fully defeat PSM on the 987, which could be a factor with brake wear and fluid boiling.

The longer you stay on the brakes, the hotter they’ll get. Brake harder for as short a time as possible. Fit extra brake ducts and higher temperature fluid for sure, but correct technique is crucial.

I should add that in the early seasons of 986 racing we did not permit extra ducting (just the clip-on GT3 ducts). Look through TSL result sheets to see the sort of lap times drivers like Gerry Taylor and  Rick Styrin used to achieve. Bear in mind we were on track tyres too. The red callipers would discolour to a shade of brown.

Archived