718 steering vs 981

Davidbf1.com

So, my 981 BGTS is in for 4yr service, cruise retro-fit, rain sensor activation, and I have a 718 courtesy car.

I'd previously driven a 718S in 2016 after launch, when considering one. I drove a non-S again recently at the Millbrook Porsche experience day.

Haven driven the 718 again last couple of days, I got to wondering what the key differences are that make the 718 steering so much sharper than the 981 - [steering] feels quicker and more precise/sharper than mine. Different steering rack/motor  or software only? Or, are there more fundamental changes to the chassis overall?

just curious.

Well having not driven either I would guess its the ratio of steering rack more than anything.

A quicker rack gives the impression of a more agile chassis, if Porsche combined this with a stiffer chassis, you'll notice quite a difference, I also suspect once you get used to steering you will notice a lack of feel under cornering? 

I always liked the steering of the Porsche's and was disappointed when they went electric over hydraulic. 

How do you rate overall? 

Perception is that it’s way faster than my BGTS (steering that is), and precise at lower speeds. Not pushed it on anything twisty at higher speeds, but I expect I’d then notice less feel. For sure, 987 and earlier having hydraulic systems will give greatest feedback. Not disappointed with the steering in my own Boxster, but then this is my first Porsche so not had previous generations of Boxster to move from, to mine. 

I guess the 718 steering might feel a tad too light also, but again, depends what you’re used to. 

Could it perhaps be that the 718 had the 'power steering plus' option fitted? According to the brochure that affects the steering ratio at lower speeds.

Some thing else to consider is the wheel /tire size. Steering usually feels lighter with smaller wheels, especially at low speeds. 

Wheel spacers add weight too

On 11/26/2018 at 11:21 PM, Jon61 said:

Could it perhaps be that the 718 had the 'power steering plus' option fitted? According to the brochure that affects the steering ratio at lower speeds.

that would be my guess too....used to a very cheap option on the 981.

the 718S I had recently definitely had lighter steering than my 981, you could feel the difference when I got mine back

On 11/28/2018 at 3:48 PM, Malcolm E Box said:

Or it could be that the 718 has the steering rack from the 911 turbo fitted to it. Just as I have previously pointed out 👍

could be or it could be that it has power steering plus

see what I did there ;)

Definately a quicker rack than 981,  also a 20mm wider track at the front (might not make it feel sharper but likely make it more stable at the front). Also tyres can make a big difference. What tyres are you on David? 718 would likely be N1 version of PZERO which by all accounts feel somewhat different.

1 hour ago, Malcolm E Box said:

I did.

But all 718's have a rack out of a 911 turbo

Is it a power steering plus one? Or is that an option still?

any way why would the 911 turbo rack be lighter? Because of the 4wd?

Having just had my Boxster/Cayenne 90 mins dealer freebie down at the Silverstone Porsche Experience Centre I can say the steering is slightly quicker, no need to cross hands on the tightest bends, but feels less connected at the front compared to my 981S, unsure if that's rack related though but may be due to it being lighter as previously mentioned 

And from my 45mins with the 718 Boxster on track and 45mins with the Cayenne on track I was most impressed by the Cayenne, that takes some engineering to achieve what it does.... 

On 11/26/2018 at 9:03 PM, Davidbf1.com said:

So, my 981 BGTS is in for 4yr service, cruise retro-fit, rain sensor activation, and I have a 718 courtesy car.

I'd previously driven a 718S in 2016 after launch, when considering one. I drove a non-S again recently at the Millbrook Porsche experience day.

Haven driven the 718 again last couple of days, I got to wondering what the key differences are that make the 718 steering so much sharper than the 981 - [steering] feels quicker and more precise/sharper than mine. Different steering rack/motor  or software only? Or, are there more fundamental changes to the chassis overall?

just curious.

Would be interested to know the cost of the 4 year service as mine is due next year!

Hi Rob, hope you’re well.  service alone was 630 inc vat. The brake fluid change was a further 95. 

Not mandatory, but recommended spark plugs are changed at 4yrs, and I think I got them down to c.170 to replace them. 

Had cruise retrofitted, just need to remember it’s not adaptive like my daily Passat!!

rain sensing wipers activated too, for 130 - ALL 981 have the sensors in the windscreen as standard, just a case of having it activated/coded in. 

Got some discount on everything excluding service - think that’s a flat cost from Porsche - not sure whether as a result of Porsche club GB membership or Teeside porsche loyalty which is scaled discount on labour based on vehicle age  

Best regards, 

david

Archived