Virgin Drive

Truth

Test drove a 2003 today ........ not a lot to say really as you have all beat me to the Boxster experience 😁 

I'm a simple bloke that knows very little about cars ..... had load over the years obviously but there was just SOMETHING about this one.......

Is it just the badge??????? Not sure.....🙂

Could well even be just the excitement ( its still allowed at nearly 50 😂 ) of driving a 2 seater with the roof off for the first time.....

1 hour ago, Truth said:

Could well even be just the excitement ( its still allowed at nearly 50 😂 ) of driving a 2 seater with the roof off for the first time.....

That never goes away!

Maybe but it was over budget..... got an offer in for another but I'm in no rush to buy .....😉

1 minute ago, red rocket said:

That never goes away!

Thats what I am counting on mate 🙂

I did find the gear box very 'tight' if that makes sense. Its hard to explain , without someone actually driving it I know, but is this the norm? I am presuming it is with a sportier box? (Oh Matron ! 😂) 

Its 2am and I am struggling to sleep with a couple of offers in for cars and negotiations ongoing........ 😊

9 hours ago, Truth said:

.....Could well even be just the excitement ( its still allowed at nearly 50 😂 ) of driving a 2 seater with the roof off for the first time.....

Wait till you get it above 50mph, the excitement doesn’t stop there 😂

I'm impressed with your buying patience, I just tend to be fussy about what I go to see then buy it straight away if I like it. Seems to have worked OK so far but I always find bits on my cars after buying them. My Boxster, that I bought a few months ago actually didn't need as many things doing as I thought as my garage explained that some of the MOT advisories were rubbish.

Believe you me mate I have NO patience at all, its killing me 😂😂 . Talks are ongoing but i am pretty sure I know it will be a happy ending...... 🙂

Any comments on the 'tight' gear box would be appreciated?

The 986 is known for developing a notchy second gear when cold. 

And several people have fitted the short shift mech from eBay which is short but needs more effort to change gear. 

2 ideas. 

6 hours ago, antjrice said:

And 5000rpm!!

2nd gear then :) as 5000 rpm in 3rd is over 80 mph  lol

But they are right you need to get the revs up over 4000 at least to get an idea of what these cars sound like

2 hours ago, Truth said:

Cheers mate. It was 2nd into 3rd seemed a bit hard

This points to either a short shifter as @Menoporsche suggests or possibly the shift cables/linkage assemblies could do with a bit of a service.  

The fact it’s happening across the H Gate of the shift rather than both across and front/back means I’d start by looking at where the shift cables are connected to the selector mechanism on the gearbox.

Occasionally the cables “pop off” the mechanism which the first time round is a “Uh Oh I really broked it” moment but is normally a simple tool free mechanical fix. From memory having it happened a couple of times the “tell” that it’s a possibility is an unusually “sticky” shift  

The problem may also be adjustment at the gearshift - again straightforward to fix albeit there’s a readily available (and inexpensive) jig that makes it very simple DIY spanners only job.

For clarity I wouldn’t necessarily reject the car but I would be using it to help with pricing - maybe get a good indie to spend an hour poking around before you finally commit ..😉

Cheers Map..... I have gone down another route now..... watch this space 🙂

Archived