Thoughts on this Gen 2

BooSmile

Looks nice. Priced reasonably I think. I paid a chunk more for a 2011 car with similar mileage and spec back in July last year.  

Heated seats and sports chrono are good options (I don’t have either but others have told me that the sports and sports plus modes make a difference to the pdk experience. )

in addition to normal boxster things (plugs , belt, ac condensers, brake fluid change, do all the electrics work , both keys present , do they work remote, in the door and start the car )  there’s a PDK clutch fluid change recommended at 6 years / 60k miles.  Costs about 200 at OPC. Needs diag computer to be done properly.  Often missed as a service item and some Indy places don’t know how to do it but will still “try”. So would suggest factoring a discount for it and getting done at OPC but you might get lucky and have evidence of it being done. 

The universal audio interface is in the central arm rest  presents usb aux and iPod  you need a special cable (y cable ) from Porsche for the iPod interface (30 quid ) and then you need an Apple original 30 pin to lightning adapter to hook up to an iPhone  that will give you music (Spotify etc or regular music from phone) what may not be there is Bluetooth for hands free phone  depending on your needs that might be something to look closer at  

worth a look I would say  

27 minutes ago, Topbox said:

Looking for a 2.9 987 myself. Good heads up on the PDK oil change @Paul P thanks. I would fancy the above but not so keen on black so no competition from me. Dovehouse have some fans here @mrbikerdood would be one IIRC

There’s two services for the pdk. 

The clutches are “wet” and it’s that part that has the 60k 6 year interval. Mine is overdue  planning on getting it done next month along with a belt change  

i love the pdk and I have heard such good things about the sports modes that I am thinking about getting that retrofitted (800 ish gives you sport and sport plus but bit the “clock” part of the sports chrono 

There is also a 120k 12 year service. That’s a gearbox oil change same as the manual. So I guess 12 years you need both done. 

Just now, brendon said:

200 seems a great price from opc i was quoted 400 from an indy! mine is overdue too 

I had mine done at Cotswold Porsche when I first got it - six years and a couple of months old - it had just been serviced by Bournemouth OPC - but they hadn't done the PDK fluid change (it was on 15000 miles - but 6 years old) - I had a bit of a 'discussion' with the dealer I purchased from and we agreed to disagree on the need to do this so I had it done at CPS anyway.

I think it was around £200 at CPS as I recall and the fluid came out clean as a whistle with so few miles on the clock.

1 minute ago, brendon said:

do they do any pdk updates when they change the oil?

Not sure, it was certainly all under PIWIS control to open close valves etc, very temperature dependant as well - with a very narrow temperature range allowed to work within when they undertook the process on mine.

Was 200 for the fluid change that I was quoted. Belt change 130. I also saw a reference from the dealer for an engine air filter change at a about 100 due every 6 years. I assumed that would be a major service item. 

All from Porsche tonbridge. 

Will get new quotes in the next few days before I book it back in. 

Don’t think the pdk fluid change automatically does any software updates. I have read of an update so give smoother upshifts but it’s a non reversible change only normally done if someone is complaining of issues 

I had something like that affect. I put it down to the hill start assist coming on on the flat.  

I found I was waiting with my foot on the brake and because they needed bleeding I had my foot down harder than I needed to. That seemed to convince the car it needed to keep the brakes partially on when I moved to the throttle.  Same as when you are on a slope

When I had the brake fluid changed and the brakes properly bled I got a much better feel and therefore didn’t push the pedal as hard as I was and the car didn’t try to “help” on the pull away. 

That was my non specific diagnosis but it’s better now the brakes are sorted.  

33 minutes ago, brendon said:

thanks for the info,  was just asking as mine is due and ive noticed sometimes a delay when pulling away, seems like the clutch dips and then goes of you know what i mean 

If you google PDK reset, a video on YouTube comes up showing how to do it. I felt mine was being a bit lazy sometimes when I first had it and it was previously a city car so I guessed it had learnt from the previous owners driving style. I did this reset and drove it on and off over a weekend and it must have learnt my driving style and it is perfect now 👍

@BooSmile I’ve used Dovehouse for a number of years to service cars and friends have bought cars from them.

Extremely good experiences on both counts. They just look after you and prepare / know these cars well / also correct any issues. Tony in service there is a particular Porsche genius. 

Would give me peace of mind buying from them. 

I owned a 987.2 manual - great cars.

Looks like a decent price for a gen 2 with those miles. Bit under-wheeled for my own preference but cheaper tyres!

first time i’ve seen one without the nav option so headunit looks a little basic, and shame it doesn’t have extended leather as that really lifts the interior, but you never see the same spec twice so got to be worth a look as it looks clean. The usb is useful to have along with the wind deflector. 

It’ll definitely put a smile on your face though - just buy it! 😜

4 hours ago, Topbox said:

Looking for a 2.9 987 myself. Good heads up on the PDK oil change @Paul P thanks. I would fancy the above but not so keen on black so no competition from me. Dovehouse have some fans here @mrbikerdood would be one IIRC

Here you go @Topbox - how about a red gen2? And with a proper engine too 😜😜😜http://www.jrmotorcompany.co.uk/porsche-boxster-34-s-gen-ii-pdk-yk09-wgd/product?utm_source=CarandClassic.co.uk&utm_medium=portal

48 minutes ago, brendon said:

is it as simple as this?

I did a slight variance on that - an extra three minutes with it in drive and foot on the brake. Then you have to turn it off and let the overrun fans stop spinning. I read this is called "torque loss" apaption. I think it made a difference but it wasn't night and day to be honest - but since my brakes were sorted I keep a lighter foot when stationary and I don't get the "climb the mountain" feeling on pull away. Maybe a combo of both

1 hour ago, Mattman42 said:

Yeah not bad, 19" wheels no PASM, is that good ? 

Archived