986 to 987?

james_ly

I've been browsing the classifieds recently and can't help notice how affordable the 987s are. I'm happy with my 2.7 986 (and loved my 3.2 as well but had to sell it at the time). Wondering if anyone swapped and what they think? Tempted by a Cayman 2.7 as well!

No easy answer. I've gone from 986 to 987 to 986 to 987. Back and forth twice. I've owned:

986.1 2.5

987.1 3.4C

986.1 3.2

987.1 3.2B

When I'm in a 986, I miss the sophistication, competence and feel of solidity of the 987 - and the performance. When I'm in a 987, I miss the the transparency, purity and involvement of the 986. 

I think overall a 987C with a few tweaks to wake the chassis and feel / feedback up a bit is probably the best driver's car of the lot overall, though not the best in every area.

I'm in the 987.1 3.2B right now and will try to just stick with it indefinitely. All the changing costs, and in the end it's more pros and cons than outright obvious winners and losers. I do lean towards thinking the 987 is the nicer all round package as it feels more finished and is as up to date as I will ever need in a sports car, where the 986 feels a little short on investment in some areas. But it's by no means a slam dunk affair. 986 or 987, if it's manual it's a fantastic thing to drive.

17 minutes ago, Pothole said:

No easy answer. I've gone from 986 to 987 to 986 to 987. Back and forth twice. I've owned:

986.1 2.5

987.1 3.4C

986.1 3.2

987.1 3.2B

When I'm in a 986, I miss the sophistication, competence and feel of solidity of the 987 - and the performance. When I'm in a 987, I miss the the transparency, purity and involvement of the 986. 

I think overall a 987C with a few tweaks to wake the chassis and feel / feedback up a bit is probably the best driver's car of the lot overall, though not the best in every area.

I'm in the 987.1 3.2B right now and will try to just stick with it indefinitely. All the changing costs, and in the end it's more pros and cons than outright obvious winners and losers. I do lean towards thinking the 987 is the nicer all round package as it feels more finished and is as up to date as I will ever need in a sports car, where the 986 feels a little short on investment in some areas. But it's by no means a slam dunk affair. 986 or 987, if it's manual it's a fantastic thing to drive.

What's the significance of the B and C suffices?

I'd also say that if you want something that's actually quick, you probably need gen 1 3.4 at a minimum. My 987.1 3.2B is probably very slightly the wrong side of the 'enough performance' line, where the 3.4 was just the right side. I never really felt like I needed more performance in the 3.4C. I do very occasionally feel that in the 3.2B, but only occasionally.

That said, I drove a gen 2 987 3.4 yesterday and it's really only a little quicker than my gen 1 3.2, in subjective terms.

I drive a lot with 991 guys , and never once left behind by the 3.6 and 3.8 997's. 

Leave them behind in the twistys.

If you're making the jump then go for the 3.4  gen 1 (or if budget allows) gen 2 

8 minutes ago, Pinewood said:

If you're making the jump then go for the 3.4  gen 1 (or if budget allows) gen 2 

TBH, if there's a single Boxster to avoid, it's the gen 1 3.4. Only one where the engine risk it worthy of the worry. Either go 3.2 or go gen 2.

an early 987 is just a 986 with a new skin  :)

Buy which one you like the most, I would have bought a 987S if I could got one for the price I paid, but I couldn't.

As a weekend toy the 986 is fine, I prefer the more rounded look of the 986, but I like the headlights on the 987 more.

Save you your money and buy a 911 ;)

3 hours ago, Pothole said:

TBH, if there's a single Boxster to avoid, it's the gen 1 3.4. Only one where the engine risk it worthy of the worry. Either go 3.2 or go gen 2.

Isn't it the same engine as in the Cayman? If so what is the significance of it being fitted in a Boxter?

Thanks

3 hours ago, Southy said:

an early 987 is just a 986 with a new skin  :)

Buy which one you like the most, I would have bought a 987S if I could got one for the price I paid, but I couldn't.

As a weekend toy the 986 is fine, I prefer the more rounded look of the 986, but I like the headlights on the 987 more.

Save you your money and buy a 911 ;)

987 feels very different to drive from a 986. 987 is a heavy facelift of 986 rather than new platform, but very different dynamically. Which isn't to say better, just very different.

As for save you money and buy a 911, well the 911 and Boxster of a given generation are on the same platform with the same engine (until the 718), just with the engine and box rotated by 180 degrees. Save your money and buy a Boxster / Cayman!

49 minutes ago, Pothole said:

987 feels very different to drive from a 986. 987 is a heavy facelift of 986 rather than new platform, but very different dynamically. Which isn't to say better, just very different.

As for save you money and buy a 911, well the 911 and Boxster of a given generation are on the same platform with the same engine (until the 718), just with the engine and box rotated by 180 degrees. Save your money and buy a Boxster / Cayman!

C'mon I was jesting  :)

Everyone loves the should I get .....  threads

There is no real definitive as such for this , whilst starting out on this road I began with a 986 S , which I thought was superb, but now I am in a 987 S 3.4.1 ,would I go back ?.........nah!!!! It's just that bit more right for me, in comfort,performance and styling, but these are based purely on personal emotions.

11 hours ago, Pothole said:

Different in what way? I'm not fussed on power, I enjoy the 2.7 as much as 3.2 tbh.

Just reading through this thread and no mention of what your budget is, the only reason I ask is my 987 SE Boxster is up for sale and it sounds just right for you @james_ly

Guvs.

7 hours ago, james_ly said:

Different in what way? I'm not fussed on power, I enjoy the 2.7 as much as 3.2 tbh.

Lots of things.

987 feels more neutral, 986 feels more rear heavy. 986 brake pedal a bit firmer. Steering is a bit more transparent on the 986, a bit pointier on the 987 with its accelerating rack off centre. Chassis feedback purer on the 986, bit filtered / synthetic feeling on the 987. 987 feels more solid, 986 feels a bit bendier. 986 engine sounds purer and less contrived. Etc etc. Lots of little things some fairly big things.

I went from a 2000 986 3.2 to a 2007 987 2.7. Not really and noticeable power difference but my 2.7 is the 245bhp version, with i believe the variable cam setup.

I much prefer the 987, just sounds and feels nicer to me, feels smoother and more refined.. also the updated dash etc brings it right upto date IMO

Archived