986 Oil Consumption

Mr96er

Do you ACTUALLY measure yours?

If you do, what are you getting through if any?

They should use some. how much is the point at which to start planning for rebuild?

i think I might be “using” as much as a litre per 2000 Spirited miles. 

For a deffiniton of spirited, the following members have passengered in my car and get the idea of how long revs are hung onto. 

@Harri986 

@K.I.T.T.

@986CKY

I’m interested in hearing from anyone who knows they are using oil. 

I’ve not used Mobil oils for the last 13000 miles. Do you think different brand oils would have different consumption rates? 

7 minutes ago, Loz987 said:

Do you ACTUALLY measure yours?

If you do, what are you getting through if any?

They should use some. how much is the point at which to start planning for rebuild?

i think I might be “using” as much as a litre per 2000 Spirited miles. 

For a deffiniton of spirited, the following members have passengered in my car and get the idea of how long revs are hung onto. 

@Harri986 

@K.I.T.T.

@986CKY

I’m interested in hearing from anyone who knows they are using oil. 

I’ve not used Mobil oils for the last 13000 miles. Do you think different brand oils would have different consumption rates? 

I think the Porsche accepted oil consumption is 1litre/1000miles or thereabouts.

I do know that I saw different oil consumption rates in my last 986 3.2 engine - usage rates by brand and viscosity.  The last iteration saw the lowest oil usage patterns - I'll dig out what it was when I have access to the car.

Have been moved to a different oil after the recent engine work and have been told this makes a big difference in the other cars the guys maintain.  Can't remember exactly what it is but will let you know next time I have either the paperwork or a container with the correct label on it to hand.

As above, a litre for 1000 or might even be 800 miles is within spec according to Porsche, but I don't think anyone would be comfortable with that level of consumption.

Mines very low, ie doesn't need topping up between services, but my annual mileage is low, and it gets changed every 6 months. 

That's on a 22 year old car, with 140k on, and to the best of my knowledge the engine has never had any work done. 

OK - now on 10/60 Fully Synthetic.

Bear in mind that’s effectively a new engine. 

That said the guy who looks after mine says he would now use the same oil in a standard car of 986 vintage. 

Thanks @map 

I’ve never come across 10w60 before but it makes sense to me. I’ve already embraced the 10w40 as you can see.

Good point Paul, 

age and mileage are good data to collate also🤓👍

my oil of choice: 

Oil

2000my 2.7 Boxster with a few more miles than most...

Oil

Additional questions:

Is the heavier oil (w60 or w40) the best way to restore compression and reduce consumption?

Or is it preferred as it’s cheaper than rebuilding motors? 

I’d say freqently I tap into the race heritage of my engines performance envelope. I seldom tap into the strip and rebuild between events philosophy. I wonder how sustainable this is..🤔

My 2003 3.2 S has 62k. Was last serviced at 57k. They used Mobil 1 and I’ve not puta drop in. It’s still on max on the dash and same on dip stick. 

My driving is a mix of spirited and cruising. It’s of to CPS on Thursday for a minor service and health check. 

Jon 

I wouldn't worry about it... I've owned other cars that needed about 1l per 750-1000 miles, you just get a routine of topping up oil at the same time as petrol. Could it just be RMS leak and not burning any oil?

My old 2.7 didn't use any between services at circa 120k, but that mostly did high speed motorway miles. 

The 3.2 gets driven harder, but haven't had it long enough to offer an opinion.

Would it be worth doing a compression test? Relatively inexpensive. Just because you're using oil (within acceptable limits, according to Porsche), doesn't necessarily mean you have a problem.

2003 S , I topped up half a litre of Mobil 1 0W40 fully synthetic after 7k miles from the previous service, just before the next oil change, didn't really need to but OCD gets the better of me. It dropped one bar on the digital gauge. Car is a daily, so a mixture of being stuck in f***ing traffic and spirited. It has two oil + filter changes per year. Doing about 14k per year. 

On 3/31/2019 at 2:51 PM, map said:

I do know that I saw different oil consumption rates in my last 986 3.2 engine - usage rates by brand and viscosity.  The last iteration saw the lowest oil usage patterns - I'll dig out what it was when I have access to the car.

OK this is the last oil I was using in the 986 3.2 engine: Mobile Super 3000 5W-40 Fully Synthetic - it has Porsche A40 Approval.

I know Harlech seem to recommend the Millers (5-50?) for older engines, and this is said to aid oil consumption. I think with your type of driving 1tr/2000 Miles isn’t outlandish, I think the type of mileage/driving makes a big differance. Mine seems to use near nothing through the winter when I’m not typically driving hard but does use maybe 0.5 liter/2000 miles if I’m driving hard in the summer (and that’s an engine with just 20k on).

7 hours ago, the baron said:

My car is a 2.5 and done over 200,000 and doesn’t use a drop of oil, I try and change the oil every 3-6k with mob1 5-40.

I love it when you post Baron as it makes me feel a hell of a lot more at ease with my purchase to hear the longevity of yours !  :) 

4 hours ago, map said:

OK this is the last oil I was using in the 986 3.2 engine: Mobile Super 3000 5W-40 Fully Synthetic - it has Porsche A40 Approval.

This particular nectar is what's been poured in to my 986 3.2 in my ownership and, if the history is to be trusted, that of the PO.

Mine will drink a 1l top-up bottle between changes, but that's more like 1l per 4-5,000 miles.

Cheers, Baggers.

I'm trying to understand this oil consumption rate.  I imagine that the boxer format uses more oil as the bores are not at least partially vertical as in in line and V engines so some possibly gets lost at every start up, however none of my 5 Subarus (turbo flat 4s) used much oil and one got to 140k miles and two others over 100k. 

Nothing I've had recently - since a Nova GSi and Carlton 3000 GSi 24v that were both early 90s cars with much older designed engines and before that various Ford CVH engines - uses any significant oil, even an Alfa.... Current company car, Passat 1.6 TDI, uses about 500ml per 20k miles.  I've put about 250ml in mine in 1800 miles including about half of that when I bought it.  I appreciate track work can increase oil use (2 of my Subarus did some track time as did the 3000 GSi) with an oil system design for road work but in ordinary use there should be little consumption unless there is a lot of wear.  Chapman did say of the Twin Cam in the 60's though 'If it's not using oil how do you know it is being lubricated?'

Why is 1l / 1000 miles deemed acceptable in a Porsche flat 6?  Are the Japanese better at oil tight flat engines than Germans? 😲

Sorry for the rambling thoughts on the subject.

58 minutes ago, ½cwt said:

Why is 1l / 1000 miles deemed acceptable in a Porsche flat 6?  Are the Japanese better at oil tight flat engines than Germans? 😲

Sorry for the rambling thoughts on the subject.

Have often found myself thinking along the same lines and never really heard an entirely plausible explanation.  Just know that this 1000miles/litre is Porsche's figure.

56 minutes ago, map said:

Have often found myself thinking along the same lines and never really heard an entirely plausible explanation.  Just know that this 1000miles/litre is Porsche's figure.

Many manufacturers quote the same number. I used to work for Mitsubishi UK and they had 1l per 1000 in their guidelines

3 hours ago, map said:

I think it’s just more an excuse not to investigate engine issues. Let’s face it, if an average normal car does 12k miles a year and 12k between services then needing to put 12 litres of oil in in that time would be ludicrous.  Now a typical Porsche is driven harder than normal, and is a flat 6, so you might expect some oil usage, but I doubt many engines are using 1tr/1000 miles unless there are engine issues or it is driven really really hard (track day hard).

Archived