Had a 718 courtesy car......couldn’t wait to get my 981 back

mightymetro

4 minutes ago, Paul P said:

2) aggressive stop / start - don't mind it in normal driving - don't want it in car parks when I am being very delicate with someone else's car.

I switch it off before I start the car.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Greenman said:

I wouldn’t say the 718 is boring, but I don’t think it’s as exhilarating as the 981.  When the engine comes on cam at 4K and you get the roar as it races to the red line it just piques the adrenaline in a way that the 718 doesn’t IMO, sure the 718 is even quicker but it’s a totally different experiance. 

Yes thats a big difference. You build up to it in a n/a but its instant on the 718 . Its a different experience.  On an overtake blip the throttle turbo spools up pull out and away you go thats pretty exhilarating 

6 minutes ago, Scubaregs said:

This.

i think stop start works well in a Manual (unobtrusive) but not in any auto/dual clutch I’ve driven. In addition Porsche batteries aren’t known for their robustness so anything that helps it stay full charged is good IMO,  the extra few pounds a year in petrol  is more than paid back by extra battery longevity.

18 minutes ago, Scubaregs said:

Yup - got into the habit of doing that - I don't actually mind it when I am driving around town - but at maneuvering  speeds I found it a pain. I read somewhere that the 981's at least could be coded via PIWIS to "remember last state" or "always default to off" - perhaps that's doable on a 718 as well.

39 minutes ago, Scubaregs said:

Yes, I know the feeling. In all seriousness had I not met so many great people from on here at the Borders run and Scottish scramble I doubt I would still be on the forum.

It is relentless at times!  I like a bit of banter as much as the next person and have never been a "keyboard warrior" but it is just that any "718" thread usually develops into a dig.  I really enjoy reading all the stuff about what guys are doing to their cars (whatever model) and that is why I stay.  For now anyway - both meets looked great - just saw the guys roll out of Abington services for the Borders run - hopefully get to a meet at some point.

47 minutes ago, Scubaregs said:

Yes, I know the feeling. In all seriousness had I not met so many great people from on here at the Borders run and Scottish scramble I doubt I would still be on the forum.

You may recall when you pulled up next to me in the carpark at the Highlands scramble that I asked if you have PSE and my suprise and answer when you said no (ie "I don't know what all the fuss is about with the exhaust note").

I'm glad you stuck around, we're a great bunch of idiots really 🙄

Yes Clive and it was appreciated, thank you. Personally I like it and simply cannot see all the fuss about it. Now I actually like the sound of a Harley, but I would never buy one as it does not fit any of my other criteria.

53 minutes ago, Scubaregs said:

before this thread was even posted I've felt there is a bit of 718 bashing. Banter about noise is fine, no problem with that.

I think you’re right. Tiptronic owners might be able to identify - though as it was never a new introduction, but always there, the parallel is not perfect. 

1 hour ago, Menoporsche said:

I think you’re right. Tiptronic owners might be able to identify - though as it was never a new introduction, but always there, the parallel is not perfect. 

What am I saying? 996 owners, water cooled AND fugly headlights, are still putting up with it 20 years on :D

1 hour ago, Scubaregs said:

Personally I like it

You nailed it. That's what matters most, not what other people think.

At that Meet, we had representation from the entire Boxster range from 986 through to 718 including facelifts and all flavours (apart from Spyders) and of course each and every one of us was keen to be there sporting our own particular choice of car. The very best car is the one you drive because you chose it :)

I think it is a shame that some members feel that there is a lot of bashing being done of their cars!

Ultimately we are all fans of this fantastic brand and ultimately that is all that matters. Personally I appreciate EVERY Porsche for its own particular attributes. 

Did I like the sound on start up of that 718 GTS? No. But then someone who had only driven a 718 and then got in my car might say “Yeah it sounds nice but it is a bit gutless low down”. Horses for courses innit?

But certainly would not want members who own a 718 to avoid this brilliant forum because they feel they are constantly having to defend their particular car.  986, 987, 981 or 718 we are all lucky bar stewards because everything else out there is dull and uninteresting (unles ls you are spending silly money on super cars)

Also as a biker I would say the difference in engine performance between the 981 and 718 is similar to the 600 or 1000cc debate that went on in biking circles a few years back around sports bikes.

600cc bikes feeling very rewarding because you have to work them to get the performance.

1000cc bikes are exhilarating because the performance they offer is mind blowing. I currently have a BMW S1000RR which for those of you not familiar with this bike makes around 200bhp and is an absolute beast. I love it because it is stupidly fast and there is almost nothing that can keep up with me. But I also have loads of fond memories of riding various 600 sports bikes and the awesome feeling of thrashing that absolute bejesus out of them

I love my 718.

I have owned each iteration of the Boxster/Cayman and the current one is by far and away the best of the bunch.

Each to their own of course. When I had my 981 that was the best of the bunch.

The engine noise has never been an issue for me. The noise is much different when accelerating hard but I am concentrating on the horizon coming towards me so fast that my other senses forget to work. 😁

I feel the love for the 718 on this thread is re-addressing the balance somewhat!

As someone else said, it's the fact that we all love and respect the Porsche brand and it's ethos, ie. style, quality and performance in a stunning looking, but relatively affordable package - that unites us at the end of the day!

That's all that matters ultimately,  regardless of model, age or engine.

Let the love continue!

12 minutes ago, mightymetro said:

I think a few of you have thrown a few toys out of the pram here.  I wouldn’t -be all hyped up if you were telling me your 718 was far better than my 981.  I was only giving my opinion and happy to hear yours.  

No toys out of the pram. You have 7 posts and therefore do not have much history on the forum.

5 minutes ago, mightymetro said:

I think a few of you have thrown a few toys out of the pram here.  I wouldn’t -be all hyped up if you were telling me your 718 was far better than my 981.  I was only giving my opinion and happy to hear yours.  

No problem with that, I have also  expressed a similar opinion to you re the 718 driving experience  - we all have our own preferences and opinions as you say.

I guess we need to appreciate the preferences of others a little more too perhaps, which some people (not you) don't! It is their pride and joy after all.

Likewise the 718 owners perhaps need to toughen up a little and not feel that their car is being "attacked" or "ridiculed" everytime someone doesn't comment positively about it.

All Boxsters are gorgeous cars, but each of us will prefer certain models, 986, 987, 981 or 718, and likewise certain specs and engines. We should not be over sensitive to the preferences and opinions of others.

As long as its not just "trolling" to be nasty for the sake of it...which is simply unacceptable regardless of the subject matter.

Variety is the spice of life!

9 minutes ago, Scubaregs said:

No toys out of the pram. You have 7 posts and therefore do not have much history on the forum.

Now, now...he is still entitled to his opinion regardless of post numbers!

You were a newbie not long ago!

Just now, RBD914 v2 said:

Now, now...has still entitled to his opinion regardless of post numbers!

Of course, but is in no place to commentate on what has gone on in the past re 718 comments.

Just now, Scubaregs said:

Of course, but is in no place to commentate on what has gone on in the past re 718 comments.

I guess he could go back and read past posts fairly easily though, and may have done so.

4 minutes ago, RBD914 v2 said:

Likewise the 718 owners perhaps need to toughen up a little and not feel that their car is being "attacked" or "ridiculed" everytime someone doesn't comment positively about it.

It is being attacked. So much so I almost brought it up on here, but thought perhaps I was being a bit touchy. However, other 718 owners feel the same.

Archived