Extended Warranty

Kev62

8 minutes ago, fat haggis said:

I would move to a different OEM dealer mate. Who is the one your getting shafted by now and in the past 🧐

+981 - go to a different OPC!

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, JohnSyn said:

After hearing @tony_zx9r s problems recently I am likely to renew my warranty, I must say he frightened me with his experience although thankfully the potential remedy, and cost, didn't happen .

yeah but John are you actually going to keep the car long enough to warrant (see what I did there) the warranty needing renewing?

55 minutes ago, mightymetro said:

Our Boxster is now 6 years old.  Have had extended warranty on it and every time it has been a battle to have anything fixed.  Top mount failed at 12,000 miles and they tried arguing wear and tear.  Alarm kept going off and they said it was nothing but replaced the siren.  Left front speaker blew and they said maybe the volume was too loud.  Just a nightmare.  It has 40,000voj now and it has a knocking from the front.  Asked the, to look at it when it went for service and they said they can hear it but can’t find it even after spending 3 hours on it.  Currently arguing about who foots the £400+ investigative bill. 

my experience is they blow hot & cold, I've had some things done with no issue and others were blatantly refused (fraying seat belt at 20,000 miles anyone refused as 'it had been rubbing on something' as one case in point)

Just now, Stuart21UK said:

yeah but John are you actually going to keep the car long enough to warrant (see what I did there) the warranty needing renewing?

hopefully Stuart but who knows........

On 5/6/2019 at 8:54 PM, Kev62 said:

Yes expensive and being tied to the OPC makes logistics a pain owing 45 mile round trip in 2 cars 

Living out here near the beach we have a minimum 150 mile round trip to the nearest OPC so I understand, hopefully the new one in Hull will give us another option :)

1 hour ago, BoxsterSPete said:

I'm under OPC warranty for a further 2 years BUT this Protection Plan approache may work for some. 

It includes servicing, MOT and labour costs for repairs.

Just food for thought!

http://www.revolution-porsche.co.uk/protection-plan

Interesting approach. Pay £1224/year and your service costs and labour costs for repairs are covered.

Last autumn I paid £806 for the 4 year service of my BGTS. And if the warranty renewal and 11 point check cost me £1420 for two years then the OPC route is slightly less expensive, provides greater cover and is good in most of Europe. So not sure this makes sense for a newer car where the OPC warranty costs £600/year. Think of those active engine mounts at £1000+ each for just the part!

But for an older car something like the Revolution plan (doesn't Hartech offer something similar?) appears to provide peace of mind and financial risk reduction in exchange for a fixed monthly payment.

2 hours ago, BoxsterSPete said:

I'm under OPC warranty for a further 2 years BUT this Protection Plan approache may work for some. 

It includes servicing, MOT and labour costs for repairs.

Just food for thought!

http://www.revolution-porsche.co.uk/protection-plan

I think that might suit some with the older Boxsters, but with a 981 that still leaves you open to some very big bills if the aim is to avoid that. A case in point are the adaptive mounts which seem to have a habit of failing and the £1k+ cost of the part far outweighs the labour element. I suspect that the parts cost is the major factor in most 981 warranty issues since there seems to be less scope for repair as many units are replaced as entire assemblies such as the headlamp unit at £££.

The problem with the Revolution (and similar such) plan is that it covers labour and maintenance costs but doesn’t cover parts costs for items that failed. 

So for example..  I’ve had 2 dynamic engine mounts replaced under warranty ..cost to me £0.   Under the Revolution plan I would have had to pay the £1000 cost of the part.  What if the PDK goes belly up.. new PdK around £15,000.  So over two years the Revolution cost would be about £2500, so about the same as a Major Service + all extras + 2 years warranty.  To me it seems you have much better protection/coverage with the Porsche Warranty option.

the Porsche Warranty defines the list of items that might be considered wear items, (which are all reasonable) so outside that list cannot really argue. However once your car gets to the 60-80k mileage I think you might be on shakier ground with some claims, so the Revolution plan might start to make more sense then.

** Nobbie beat me to it.

4 minutes ago, jason3.2s said:

I didnt know there was an issue/habit of failing with the adaptive mounts on a 981, has anyone on here had them replaced or know of anyone?

Yep, a few on here and it’s a common failure on 911 as well. Basically I think they have had a few batches of faulty mounts produced, apparently the design/manuafacture process was changed so replacement parts (and hopefully 718 mounts etc) should not have such issues.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So, after lots of ‘ummin n arring’ I decided to go ahead with the extended warranty today for another two years. I had the 111 point check done first and it ended up having one of the horns replaced under the existing warranty. I didn’t realise it had two tones, don’t use the horn much lol

37 minutes ago, Forest said:

So, after lots of ‘ummin n arring’ I decided to go ahead with the extended warranty today for another two years. I had the 111 point check done first and it ended up having one of the horns replaced under the existing warranty. I didn’t realise it had two tones, don’t use the horn much lol

Renewed the Macan warranty last week for the next 2 years too. Considering how much work its had under warranty, (new PDK Box, steering mechanism, pano roof cassette, ACC Camera) there was very little choice but to do so.

I think its worth it personally but I also think those who can bank the money for a ‘just in case’ moment and if its never needed well, bonus.

1 minute ago, r1flyguy said:

Renewed the Macan warranty last week for the next 2 years too. Considering how much work its had under warranty, (new PDK Box, steering mechanism, pano roof cassette, ACC Camera) there was very little choice but to do so.

I think its worth it personally but I also think those who can bank the money for a ‘just in case’ moment and if its never needed well, bonus.

I think this was my way of thinking, having that peace of mind. Just like any insurance I suppose, there if you need it but you hope you don’t. 

I extended the OPC warranty on my 981 S last September for 2 years. It's pretty much paid for itself when last January,  I had the rads replaced.  I'd defo stick with the OPC warranty. 

1 minute ago, zainster said:

I extended the OPC warranty on my 981 S last September for 2 years. It's pretty much paid for itself when last January,  I had the rads replaced.  I'd defo stick with the OPC warranty. 

Cool. It works for some, not for others.

There will always be those who will never need use of the warranty and it will have been a waste of money in their mind. But hindsight is a wonderful thing.

Im hoping i wont need any warranty work on my macan for the next 2 years as I've had so many issues, i just need a bit if confidence building back into the product, fantastic vehicle that is it and lovely to drive I’ve just had enough of the failures for now :)

5 minutes ago, r1flyguy said:

Cool. It works for some, not for others.

There will always be those who will never need use of the warranty and it will have been a waste of money in their mind. But hindsight is a wonderful thing.

Im hoping i wont need any warranty work on my macan for the next 2 years as I've had so many issues, i just need a bit if confidence building back into the product, fantastic vehicle that is it and lovely to drive I’ve just had enough of the failures for now :)

Yep,  fully agree.

However,  I'm not a risk taker. I've had 7 BMW M cars over the years and an Audi RS4 Avant.

I had the extended warranties on all of them. Some were never used and a couple were. But I never felt it was a waste of money even in hindsight because they gave me that peace of mind I value so it was well worth it for me or anyone wanting that comfort/ safe guard. 

I hope the Macan settles down and gives you trouble free motoring for the rest of your ownership btw!

16 hours ago, r1flyguy said:

Putting the money away in lieu of extending the warranty is a reasonable strategy but it doesn’t cover the extreamly rare but bankrupt inducing events like PDK failure.  Although this is a very rare failure, if you were unlucky enough for it to happen without warranty it could end up being over £10k to resolve!!!

Of course, it is a gamble either way. Thing to remember is Porsche make money selling the warranties, why else would they do it?

This means statistically the odds are in your favour not buying one.

A car that's had a lot of problems from new I would be more inclined to renew warranty, one with zero problems less inclined.

• 3 weeks later...

I’m just about to start my 981 journey and have a OPC warranty. Has anyone had any experience of fitting items like GTS rear lights and been denied warranty work? I’ve had many BMWs with extended warranty and done subtle OEM mods and they have not said anything!

Archived