To PASM or not to PASM

usman10316

Hi,

Currently in the market for a 981 Boxster S. Noticed that a lot of the cars don't have PASM. Just wanted to ask if anyone here has a Boxster/Cayman without PASM running 19" tyres and if so what's it like? 

Thanks. 

I have PASM fitted to my 981S on 20” wheels.  Frankly, I only select it for trackdays, when I know the road surface is billiard-table flat.  Routine daily driving on public roads, I never use it - the ride is very hard.  It’s great on a track (combined with sport plus), but if you don’t intend to track your car, and will be driving (er, responsibly 😳) only on public roads, I reckon the non-PASM suspension set-up is good.

I don’t have it on mine running on 20’s, never felt it to be a problem and have done a few European trips as well. Can’t comment on the PASM equipped ride.

Most people who don’t have it don’t miss it. Most of those with it think it’s great and would actively seek it out.  If you aren't used to a car with PASM I wouldn’t make it a MUST have.

1 hour ago, noggieboxa said:

I have PASM fitted to my 981S on 20” wheels.  Frankly, I only select it for trackdays, when I know the road surface is billiard-table flat.  Routine daily driving on public roads, I never use it - the ride is very hard.  It’s great on a track (combined with sport plus), but if you don’t intend to track your car, and will be driving (er, responsibly 😳) only on public roads, I reckon the non-PASM suspension set-up is good.

Of course (as has been mentioned numberous times on this forum) if you have PASM you are always using it, it is always on in either comfort or sport mode -both of which are adaptive.

I would agree with the comments but my last two cars have had and I think it is excellent 👍

Sport mode is pretty unusable with stock PASM controller but if you swap it out for a Dsc controller Sport mode becomes god mode. You can use it on all road surfaces and makes the car handle amazing.

I can only comment on the 987.1 and 987.2 but I would imagine it is even better on the 981

19 minutes ago, Greenman said:

Of course (as has been mentioned numberous times on this forum) if you have PASM you are always using it, it is always on in either comfort or sport mode -both of which are adaptive.

This 

If you have PASM, it's always on. I have PASM and find it great. It was a must have for me. If you're going to go 20" alloys and want the best comfort option yet still be able to have a firmer option when you want,  PASM is something you should definitely want Imho.

Thank you for the replies.

The Cayman S 987.1 we have has PASM and 20" alloys. never use the PASM as on as it's too hard. The only times it's been on is when I'm messing around to see how hard the ride is on a cr*p road and in Yorkshire we have many of them. 

As you say PASM is always on and the benefit of it is it's more comfortable when it's not "on". 

Think we will have to go and test a couple of boxsters without it. The car I'm looking at had 19" tyres without PASM but everything else. But I think coming from a car with it to one without it will be disappointing in terms of comfort and may therefore wait for one with it. 

The car rides ok as it comes but with PASM your car rides brilliantly and transforms it into a more sophisticated machine, you have the option to change it to suit the environment or mood you are in.  When you push on very hard on smooth surfaces it does roll more than you would like in normal mode.  The icing on the cake is the 10mm drop which improves the looks.

18 hours ago, usman10316 said:

Hi,

Currently in the market for a 981 Boxster S. Noticed that a lot of the cars don't have PASM. Just wanted to ask if anyone here has a Boxster/Cayman without PASM running 19" tyres and if so what's it like? 

Thanks. 

You could "cheat". Go to your local OPC and demo a PASM and non-PASM Boxster (accepting it'll be a 718). Decide for yourself if you'd notice or not! 

1 hour ago, Quibble said:

You could "cheat". Go to your local OPC and demo a PASM and non-PASM Boxster (accepting it'll be a 718). Decide for yourself if you'd notice or not! 

I need to pick up a wheel bolt for the 986 from OPC today. There is a boxster there without PASM so might as well make use of the trip 😉

I have PASM on both my 987.2 Boxster on 19" Spyders and 21" Classic on my new Macan S. I suspect the comfort is softer than non PASM on both. Equally both handle well on Sport on a moor road blast. I love it. I had a non PASM 2005 997 on 19" wheels and it was too hard for daily driving

On 6/4/2019 at 7:54 PM, ATM said:

I dont get the fascination with big wheels sometimes. Does this look that cr*p?

20171113_125044.jpg

Yes - Kitchen roll without a holder, empty plant pot, scorched candle holder......   You definitely need to pick your game up

I have had a 981 on 20s with PASM and now have a 987 on 19s without. 

PASM works when it is "off", although it lowers the ride height by 10mm it makes for a far more compliant ride all the time. Potholes and speed bumps were far more comfortable in the PASM Car, my 987 is quite the bone shaker on London's roads as were the non PASM 981s I test drove.

Turning PASM on sharpens everything up and makes for a harder ride which is excellent for fast, good roads. But I stress it is still actively managing the suspension even when the button isn't pressed. 

Ideally i'd always have PASM, the only downside is cost when the suspension needs to be replaced. 

Only reason my car doesn't have it is budget. 

Another thing to consider is the X73 sports suspension option. I'm given to understand very few cars had this fitted from new as a factory option. Most buyers picked either PASM (-10mm) or standard suspension (0mm) which is free.

I've retrofitted X73 to mine. It gives you a 20mm drop and there's no modes, it's  full-on all the time since it's passive. It's actually perfectly comfortable on most roads, as well as adding solid anti-roll bars for flatter turning.

X73 is a nice option if, for example, you buy a used car with standard suspension and then wish to use the car for track, or just like all-out performance all of the time. PASM is very common in the used market, should be easy to find there.

PASM equipped cars are also upgradeable to Bilstein B16 DampTronic coilovers but they cost about 2K pounds to buy. X73 costs around 1.3K pounds to buy.

PASM is a good system. 

For instance, in any mode if you brake hard, it pushes back on the front suspension to prevent the noise diving, shortening stopping distances. 

It will apply extra force to the 2 outside wheels in high speed cornering to give better control  and prevent skid or sliding 

It's very clever and  more than just hard(sport) of soft (comfort) and a 10mm drop

On 6/7/2019 at 4:34 PM, temporarychicken said:

Another thing to consider is the X73 sports suspension option. I'm given to understand very few cars had this fitted from new as a factory option. Most buyers picked either PASM (-10mm) or standard suspension (0mm) which is free.

I've retrofitted X73 to mine. It gives you a 20mm drop and there's no modes, it's  full-on all the time since it's passive. It's actually perfectly comfortable on most roads, as well as adding solid anti-roll bars for flatter turning.

X73 is a nice option if, for example, you buy a used car with standard suspension and then wish to use the car for track, or just like all-out performance all of the time. PASM is very common in the used market, should be easy to find there.

PASM equipped cars are also upgradeable to Bilstein B16 DampTronic coilovers but they cost about 2K pounds to buy. X73 costs around 1.3K pounds to buy.

I was pondering this myself but I'm really trying to keep the car standard. Anyway it needs to work first right so these plans are way off. 

On 6/6/2019 at 2:19 PM, Quibble said:

Yes - Kitchen roll without a holder, empty plant pot, scorched candle holder......   You definitely need to pick your game up

Not my house lads just a temporary rental. These pics had people accusing me of endangering pedestrians on another well known internet car forum. 

20170617_103134.jpg
20170617_103413.jpg

Archived