Cloning Issues

MAC99V

Wow, thought I'd had bad luck when i purchased my lovely Boxster only to be told on a health check my car 'needed' £3.5k worth of work to keep it road safe etc, still that aside....here's whats hit me next.

V5 hadn't come through after my private purchase from some chap near Bishops Tachbrook, then received a letter from DVLA asking for photo's of the car, vin plate etc....another week or so passes, i then send in the green slip, still nothing, road tax then expires and i try to purchase online, It's refused.....

I called DVLA to see what's happening to be told they believe my car's been cloned, with the info I've provided they've said they're 99.9% sure mines the original and the other's the issue and cannot tell me more as the police unit are now involved and I'm not to worry...but heh, in the meantime you cannot drive your car (as it's not taxed). I ask then why i cannot tax it if mines the not the issue, but after near on a week and half with daily calls, I'm being fobbed off and told, it's being dealt with and in due course, my V5 will be issued.

So, does this mean theres another boxster with my in, or a plate that replicates mine at present? DVLA won't tell me, Anyone else had this nonsense?

Cheers, M

Utterly ridiculous state of affairs, DVLA know who you are, have all your car details, but still won't allow you to tax it, all this being no fault of yours.

Absolutely scandalous. What if you need your car for work etc?

This should have been sorted in a day. 

I had something similar years ago with an old car I scrapped , months later I got a letter from the DVLA asking about the car , I had to go to the breakers and get them involved , they reported it to the police who turned up at my house mob handed , which really went down well with the wife who was livid at having plod knocking about , gawd knows what the neighbours thought ! looked like some one lifted the VIN plate and Reg Plates from the car in the breakers and cloned a nicked car , never heard anything about it after that , not a nice thing to go through :( 

50 minutes ago, Scubaregs said:

Utterly ridiculous state of affairs, DVLA know who you are, have all your car details, but still won't allow you to tax it, all this being no fault of yours.

Absolutely scandalous. What if you need your car for work etc?

This should have been sorted in a day. 

My thoughts exactly, paperwork is paperwork (at their end), having my car off road serves no purpose to them at all. Thats Mondays call going in as the department wasn't around today to explain.

• 2 weeks later...

I wonder if they stop you taxing it so the other car is picked up on ANPR? Just a though that popped into my head.

Still an utter ball ache though and DVLA can be an utter bunch of goons at times.

Sorry to hear about your issue. I understand how annoyed and upset you must be but be thankful they are looking into the situation as things could be so much worse if you where driving it at the same time as someone else with your plates. The problems that this causes can be life changing.

I really hope they get it sorted for you and you get to drive your new car.

Wonder if a cheap private plate swap would resolve the issue or are they concerned yours could be the 0.01% chance of being the cloned car? 

2 hours ago, Boxob said:

Wonder if a cheap private plate swap would resolve the issue or are they concerned yours could be the 0.01% chance of being the cloned car? 

They won’t let you re-register while it’s in contention

Hi all, thanks for the comments, well, as scubaregs commented, 'what if i needed the car for work'? i decided that my daily calls and lack of responses were not giving the right message, so a little BS saying the car was needed in two days time for work had the car instantly taxed and ready for use.....but, now the V5 has come through, i still cannot assign the plate i had on retention.

Silly really, I understand the car or cars or plates are still under investigation, so one would think that by removing one plate from the road would make the investigation clearer for the other. At least I'm now getting the pleasure of driving my car....

Cheers, M

8 minutes ago, Wrighty987 said:

How much of this occurs with us putting pictures of our cars on forums do you think . I'm not sure as it's only the same as being seen in the street I guess. 

You're right that a photo on a forum is only the same as seeing it in the street. I think the concern though is that, for someone with a Boxster that they want to put a false plate on, a forum like BoXa.net full of pictures of that particular type of car is likely to give quicker results than just looking out for one in the real world. Hence why people often blur all or part of their registration plates in pictures on here (I do if I can do so easily, but don't always bother).

To the OP,  glad you're back on the road, but I hope you get it fully sorted out pretty soon. It doesn't seem fair that you're held in limbo when they must the pretty certain that the fault is at the other end.

Can't remember if i blurred my car reg on the forum, but make a point of doing so on all social media. 

It can be recorded on the street i know, but what's the chances some tea leaf has the exact same colour as mine and wants to clone it

Heh guys, finally sorted, my end anyway. I sent in the new V5 and my plate retention certificate to DVLA as it wouldn't accept the change online. Almost two weeks passed so again, another call to DVLA asking of the situation, rectified there and then on the phone, so I suppose its just a case of them dragging it out while they try to resolve the issue their end.

I was told, that this cloning (they would not elaborate any further re a plate issue or car issue), was done at the highest level via computer fraud etc....so, who knows, could have been done internally and hence being investigated further.

So, if its a plate issue, theres only one now with my old plate, cannot be that hard to trace with ANPR and all that. Happy driving all. Cheers, M

• 2 weeks later...

interesting comment from dvla - as a general rule of thumb in the IT/tech/fraud arena I believe 80% or so of so-called 'hacks' are done by internal staff - pretty well known estimate in tech security arena generally. so I'd lay money based on what you've been told that it wasn't any complex tech 'hack' but a member of dvla staff modifying records for a bung. 

gives one great confidence in government information security doesn't it.

I think I'm inclined to agree Frozen, soon as a found out i spoken with a couple of 'police' friends who said exactly the same, most likely done at DVLA. All the best, M

• 1 month later...

Archived