Macan owners...

david_yorkshire

A friend of a friend is looking to buy a Macan - new;

Do OPCs discount these models ?

Any specific variant/ trim that attracts the greatest discount?

(The guy in question is a serial haggler  -  the more he can get off the happier he will be !)

he also wants it in Mamba green....

Depends if he's a cash buyer or looking for finance.

They will do a better deal if he takes their finance, but its more expensive than the cheapest personal loans.

Pre-reg or low mileage demo might be a good way to go:

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201904197149826?utm_source=triggered_emails%26utm_medium=Email%26utm_campaign=email_a_friend

10 minutes ago, Glosrich said:

Depends if he's a cash buyer or looking for finance.

They will do a better deal if he takes their finance, but its more expensive than the cheapest personal loans.

Pre-reg or low mileage demo might be a good way to go:

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201904197149826?utm_source=triggered_emails%26utm_medium=Email%26utm_campaign=email_a_friend

I havnt looked at the spec or options, but these start at a shade under £47k when ordered new.

Porsche Brooklands have a few "Demo" cars up for grabs, all well spec'd but, still way over "starting list price". So, still paying for all the options when second hand.

Only real benefit is getting one much quicker than ordering fresh front the factory.

My Brother was looking at a 300 mile one, an S on a 19 plate.  Going on to the Porsche configurator and speccing it up as the one for sale, can out nearly the same money (within a few hundred pounds.

Sure most OPC's will do a deal on the sticker price though.

15 hours ago, Malcolm E Box said:

Don't get the 2.0 engine.

It will be quicker to walk.

I disagree although the 2.0 isn't the engine to go for it really isn't that bad. Its punchy enough and the car does handle slightly better IMO. It depends if you have other cars I guess and what the primary use is. 

• Like 1

I had a 2.0 Macan as a Courtesy car a few months ago, I thought performance wise it was perfectly adequate (are we really saying 260bhp is too little power for a small SUV?) without much real excitement.  

What I found most disappointing was that I only got just over 20 mpg on my journey to/from the dealer 25 miles of country roads 5 miles urban each way.  A journey that my Boxster S usually sees 25-30 mpg.

Edited by Greenman

5 hours ago, hopz121 said:

I disagree although the 2.0 isn't the engine to go for it really isn't that bad. Its punchy enough and the car does handle slightly better IMO. It depends if you have other cars I guess and what the primary use is. 

Unless you rev the t*ts off it constantly and end up with teen figures MPG it is just far too slow and not worthy of the badge on its bonnet.

• Confused 1

• 1 year later...
On 7/25/2019 at 6:31 PM, Malcolm E Box said:

Unless you rev the t*ts off it constantly and end up with teen figures MPG it is just far too slow and not worthy of the badge on its bonnet.

Some would say a 4 pot Boxster isn’t worthy of the Porsche badge either but it’s still a great car. As above 260 BHP is ample for a daily driver SUV! 

48 minutes ago, JohnSyn said:

Ah...but the 380 bhp in the GTS makes for an even better daily driver!

That is true but not everyone needs a 380 BHP daily, the power is lovely but it’s not essential in my opinion. Either way any Macan is a cracking car even the baby 2.0 of the group

11 minutes ago, hopz121 said:

That is true but not everyone needs a 380 BHP daily, the power is lovely but it’s not essential in my opinion. Either way any Macan is a cracking car even the baby 2.0 of the group

Agreed! I've driven the 2.0 one and thought it a really good car. 

to put that 2.0 (260bhp) into perspective, I have a 3.0d X3 258bhp diesel with the sublime 7 speed ZF gearbox that does 0-60 in under 6 seconds.  It gives me 35mpg with a mixture of roads and smoking "hot" hatches off the lights

How much more do you need from a high sided utility vehicle? 

The mid sized propertions of the Macan make it an excellent vehicle imo, so much so we are considering it when the X3 is swapped out. 

Edited by Pinewood

16 minutes ago, JohnSyn said:

Agreed! I've driven the 2.0 one and thought it a really good car. 

I agree, I have driven a turbo pp, 2.0 and the 3.0 diesel and all of them were great cars. Not driven a gts or a 3.0 but they will be close to the diesel S / turbo I expect. 

2 minutes ago, Pinewood said:

to put that 2.0 (260bhp) into perspective, I have a 3.0d X3 258bhp diesel with the sublime 7 speed ZF gearbox that does 0-60 in under 6 seconds.  It gives me 35mpg with a mixture of roads and smoking "hot" hatches off the lights

How much more do you need from a high sided utility vehicle? 

100% it’s ample. 

Id take a 2.0 and have something else for speed and excitement like a 911 or Boxster. The Macan is an amazing car fir what it is but it’s not a replacement to a sports car IMO

• Like 1

a while ago someone wise on her said about 2nd hand Cayenne gen 1's...

buy the Turbo instead of the S (or GTS) as comparably the mpg was 18, 19 or 20   (or thereabouts)

so for the mildly worse 18 mpg you'd have more fun for very little mpg difference (and 2nd hand they tank in price too so can be almost as cheap to buy)

if I could live with low teens mpg in 2 cars I'd have a Macan GTS instead of the diesel Cayenne :) 

On 3/19/2021 at 8:23 PM, Stuart21UK said:

a while ago someone wise on her said about 2nd hand Cayenne gen 1's...

buy the Turbo instead of the S (or GTS) as comparably the mpg was 18, 19 or 20   (or thereabouts)

so for the mildly worse 18 mpg you'd have more fun for very little mpg difference (and 2nd hand they tank in price too so can be almost as cheap to buy)

if I could live with low teens mpg in 2 cars I'd have a Macan GTS instead of the diesel Cayenne :) 

My 2004 Cayenne S does 16mpg average. On a run, maybe 20 ish. Don't know really as I have not reset the computer for a longer trip.

Dean at Eporsch had a Cayenne Turbo (1st Gen) I think his wife used it mainly for school runs, shopping etc. He said his average was 12mpg !

He now has a Cayenne diesel.

I have a 3.0 Macan S petrol in which I have done just over 4K miles since I bought it, on a run - anyone remember those ? I can get 30-34mpg, but the running total on the computer since I took delivery is 22.4mpg, but that is lot of local runs. I didn’t buy it for economy, if I want economy it take the 986🤣

1 hour ago, Steve Laming said:

My 2004 Cayenne S does 16mpg average. On a run, maybe 20 ish. Don't know really as I have not reset the computer for a longer trip.

Dean at Eporsch had a Cayenne Turbo (1st Gen) I think his wife used it mainly for school runs, shopping etc. He said his average was 12mpg !

He now has a Cayenne diesel.

we have a Cayenne diesel and it runs at about 30mpg long term average (up to 38mpg on a long run, more if in a 50 roadworks section)

• 1 month later...
On 7/25/2019 at 2:43 PM, Greenman said:

I had a 2.0 Macan as a Courtesy car a few months ago, I thought performance wise it was perfectly adequate (are we really saying 260bhp is too little power for a small SUV?) without much real excitement.  

What I found most disappointing was that I only got just over 20 mpg on my journey to/from the dealer 25 miles of country roads 5 miles urban each way.  A journey that my Boxster S usually sees 25-30 mpg.

I get average 22mpg out of my Macan Turbo PP, mid teens if I’m heavy on the pedal. You can hear pound coins hitting the tarmac in your wake lol great fun tho!!!

• 7 months later...
On 7/25/2019 at 6:31 PM, Malcolm E Box said:

Having owned one since 2019 having traded in a macan turbo plus.  I have to disagree.  I find it more than able for normal road driving.  And no i don’t find it thirsty 🤷‍♀️.  It is Far less thirsty than the turbo plus was. 

Our family car is a Macan Turbo (3.6). Only had it a few months and averaging around 22 MPG. Obviously that's pretty bad, but a lot of that is in town (where a diesel would quickly develop DPF issues or be under the threat of being banned by the local authority like Bristol), but at the same time, we only do around 4,000 miles a year so it's not the end of the world. For me, the 400bhp, sound, handling and the totally effortless performance makes up for the cost/enjoyment trade off. It really is a fantastic machine.

Having said that, if  were to do it again, perhaps I'd look closer at the 2.0 - it certainly has a lot of fans.

• Like 2