Boxster in garage

Spuggy

15 hours ago, Spuggy said:

Thanks friend. 

I love my car - the looks, the driving experience and even the smell!  I have had some major conflicts in my life and I enjoy the calm I get, simply when sitting behind the wheel of my Boxster!  It may sound naff to some, but I need this car!  Spug

totally get that and reckon a fair few here feel like that. Boxsters are about freedom (even temporarily) from life's foibles

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tha

On 8/23/2019 at 11:46 AM, Spuggy said:

My other tpy has been sold to help finance the rebuild.  I suppose I have no excuse to not tidy the garage out now!

Barch.JPG

That's a pity but needs must I guess. Nice cars those Fiats.

On 8/23/2019 at 10:57 AM, Jules74 said:

I don't look at those bits... Cameron Diaz has knobbly knees but hey....... ! 

So does Pamela Anderson - ( not that any men would notice ) so I console myself that I have better knees than she does 😂

Alas not always; got blitzed by a 458 today.  He saw a lot more of the front in his mirror (he caught traffic) than he did of the back!  Suspect he might not have cared either way though....

Sorry crept off topic :nonono:

2 hours ago, Mr96er said:

A bit of 9x6 to lust after...

48607767288_09c9e806d7_b.jpg

Always look great from behind because it’s all most will see until they buy one! 

Great photo but it's not helping with my pain.  Imagine getting to your NC500 hotel in the courtesy Dacia and these parking beside you?  Apologies for the poor imagine, it was dark and I was probably crying  Spug

Belgians.jpg

Sorry to hear this, that is bad luck.

Unusual to hear of a 2.5 engine letting go though, usually it’s the later engines. Keep us posted on the updates & good luck with getting it sorted, hope it’s not too financially painful. 👍

Bad news but perhaps you could do what @marseille who is no longer on here and has some sold his car, and out the cable throttle body 3.4 996 engine in. 

I really appreciate the positive comments from members on here.  My plan is to have the engine rebuilt, and as long as it has the potential to do another 75K , I will be more than happy.  I am budgeting between £3500 and £5000.   I know, on paper the car isnt worth that, but it truly means a lot to me.  The best case scenario is an engine strip that finds a loose timing chain but I am expecting a full rebuild with new big end bearings, chains and IMS bearing.  The last few days here have been glorious weather and without the Boxster and the Barchetta, trips in the car have been simply for shopping and even for getting petrol for the lawn mower???  Whilst driving my XC60 this morning, I instinctively waved at a couple in a blue Boxster on the A1 Berwick bypass - didnt get a response!   Drive safe - hope to be back on the road soon.  Spug

• 2 weeks later...

Ok friends. No good  news.  Engine has been stripped.  Oil is contaminated with debris. Cylinder 3 has scoring to bore. Piston ring is stuck in piston but intact.  Cylinder bore, piston and cylinder head shows damage commensurate with cylinder having ingested something metallic? Initial diagnosis of big end bearing now doubtful although one of the big end shells shows signs of damage.

I am going to leave it until Monday to consider options. Spug

1 hour ago, Mr96er said:

Time to drop a 3.4 motor in, Me thinks 🤓

I am going to have a look at the damage myself on Monday.  Although I wanted to keep the engine, I cannot justify the expense of having it rebuilt now.  I am almost certainly going to be looking for another engine but not a 3.4!!!  

Drive safely

Spug

Many of us will be thinking 'There but for the grace of God go I.'  Not sure what I'd do if put in your position but a replacement engine would be sounding like the path I'd follow and not  thinking too much about the cost or I'd cry.  The problem is knowing the condition of the replacement lump unless going for a rebuild before fitting it.....

Best of luck and I'm sure you'll report back on both the decision and then the process.

14 hours ago, Spuggy said:

Ok friends. No good  news.  Engine has been stripped.  Oil is contaminated with debris. Cylinder 3 has scoring to bore. Piston ring is stuck in piston but intact.  Cylinder bore, piston and cylinder head shows damage commensurate with cylinder having ingested something metallic? Initial diagnosis of big end bearing now doubtful although one of the big end shells shows signs of damage.

I am going to leave it until Monday to consider options. Spug

I hate reading bad news, good luck hope it all works out

As Dave says , really don't like to hear stuff like this. Keep smiling and good luck mate ! 

Many thanks for the supportive comments friends.  I still want to have my car back on the road and although I already have a hefty bill for the engine strip, I have a figure in mind to replace the engine.  I fully appreciate the engineering and quality of the 986 but my car has been impeccably maintained, has a full service history with documented regular oil changes and it still failed at 77k.  The rattle from my engine is almost certainly due to piston slap so the horror videos on youtube relating to IMS failure, are not always relevant. I am going to make a decision in the morning and will keep you posted.  Drive safe. Spug

41 minutes ago, Spuggy said:

Many thanks for the supportive comments friends.  I still want to have my car back on the road and although I already have a hefty bill for the engine strip, I have a figure in mind to replace the engine.  I fully appreciate the engineering and quality of the 986 but my car has been impeccably maintained, has a full service history with documented regular oil changes and it still failed at 77k.  The rattle from my engine is almost certainly due to piston slap so the horror videos on youtube relating to IMS failure, are not always relevant. I am going to make a decision in the morning and will keep you posted.  Drive safe. Spug

This one has gone to the insurance company, so will probably turn up at copart soon. Might be worth contacting the @Lennym1984 to see if it's gone yet and see if it's worth looking into buying it. 72k and full service history and same year as yours. Hope you can sort something out to get you back on the road soon.

If you do go for the rebuild option rather than second hand replacement I think a rebuild with a larger capacity is not much more cash. This assumes you do all the cylinders and not just the one or few that need repair. 

On 8/22/2019 at 12:24 PM, Craigib76 said:

There is now a bridge over to Skye if you drive no need to take a ferry???

Bit off topic, but I stayed in a little hamlet just opposite Skye last year for a week called Glenelg. About half a mile away is the Original Skye Ferry which is the last of the old Turntable ferries that used to be doted all over the Western Isles. It runs from Easter to October continually and is £15 one way or £35 return (or £40 for a 6 journey book of tickets). It's a lovely throwback to the old days, never had to queue or wait (apart from waiting for it to come back from the other side) and the drive either side is stunning. The crew are good craic too! Well worth the detour for anyone round that way heading to/from Skye. Oh, and the Glenelg Inn does a great pint with the best views up and down the Kyle of Loch Alsh.

Archived