Luggage Compartment Heat

½cwt

Just spurred into this by a thought from @the baron in another thread about the two luggage compartments in the Boxster being more practical than a 911's luggage space. 

When I did a trip to France with the wife earlier this year I was struck by the heat build up in the front and rear luggage compartments.  Now I know the front is surrounded at the front by rads, particularly in the S with the centre rad and the rear sits on top of the engine/'box, cats and exhaust, but ahs anyone found a (thin?) heat insulation material that is worth while fitting (inside or out) to the compartments to reduce heat transfer?

1 hour ago, ½cwt said:

Just spurred into this by a thought from @the baron in another thread about the two luggage compartments in the Boxster being more practical than a 911's luggage space. 

When I did a trip to France with the wife earlier this year I was struck by the heat build up in the front and rear luggage compartments.  Now I know the front is surrounded at the front by rads, particularly in the S with the centre rad and the rear sits on top of the engine/'box, cats and exhaust, but ahs anyone found a (thin?) heat insulation material that is worth while fitting (inside or out) to the compartments to reduce heat transfer?

Good idea for euro trips.

20 minutes ago, the baron said:

Good idea for euro trips.

I did a 3,500 mile Eurotrip this summer in the 42 degree heatwave and both boots were roasting! I was also thinking how to insulate it and the only thing I had at hand was a couple of suit bags. They had a slight effect when laid flat in the rear but not in the front. I ended up putting all my cheap plonk in the rear and hoped none of the corks went pop.

Having had a bit more thought and time to use Google for about £10 this might be worth a punt:

https://www.toolstation.com/ybs-general-purpose-thermawrap-insulation/p16779

I'll give it some more thought and see if I'll wager a tenner on it working or at least reducing thermal build up.  I did also thing of the foil coated adhesive heat cloth used in engine bays and near exhausts to go on the outer faces of the compartments:

https://www.demon-tweeks.com/uk/mocal-heat-resisting-cloth-245393/

But at £18 m2 for the medium thickness version I'm not sure covering all of the outer faces is a cost effective option, not to mention a significant pain to get at....

4 hours ago, dpg123 said:

I did a 3,500 mile Eurotrip this summer in the 42 degree heatwave and both boots were roasting! I was also thinking how to insulate it and the only thing I had at hand was a couple of suit bags. They had a slight effect when laid flat in the rear but not in the front. I ended up putting all my cheap plonk in the rear and hoped none of the corks went pop.

Us too. Trip to the German GP via Reims and Strasbourg in 41/42 degrees. A dark blue car may not help either. Each afternoon on arrival all the gear was unbelievably hot. I have a black anodised alloy torch. It was literally too hot to hold!

11 hours ago, Menoporsche said:

My MY08 has aircon into the froot in order to cool the satnav drive I believe. I rarely drive the car but have never noticed a hot froot. 

Try stuffing it with luggage and driving it a couple of hundred miles, soon heats up!  The air con cooling would only work if there is space for the air to move.  Could Porsche have tackled the problem a bit between the 986 and 987 versions?

1 hour ago, ½cwt said:

Try stuffing it with luggage and driving it a couple of hundred miles, soon heats up!  The air con cooling would only work if there is space for the air to move.  Could Porsche have tackled the problem a bit between the 986 and 987 versions?

Has anyone ever installed a 12v cool box that fits well into the frunk of a boxster? On a long trip, a quick stop off with a cold drink and a non-melted picnic would be much nicer than a motorway services...

1 hour ago, dpg123 said:

Has anyone ever installed a 12v cool box that fits well into the frunk of a boxster? On a long trip, a quick stop off with a cold drink and a non-melted picnic would be much nicer than a motorway services...

Not done that in our 986S but on our last Euro road-trip we had a fridge in the boot of our Allroad, it certainly made rest stops across France / Italy more bearable - added bonus was that every time we arrived at a new place we we're staying at we always had a cold beer / chilled bottle of wine, without having to go to a bar etc... nice after many hours driving.

15 hours ago, Menoporsche said:

My MY08 has aircon into the froot in order to cool the satnav drive I believe. I rarely drive the car but have never noticed a hot froot. 

Really?

When I retrofitted my sat nav, there was no mention of cooling in the Porsche Workshop documentation... 🤔

Edit: And more importantly, it still works after 10years....

9 minutes ago, Skidd said:

Really?

When I retrofitted my sat nav, there was no mention of cooling in the Porsche Workshop documentation... 🤔

Region-specific and therefore climate-specific?  Meno's car was built for Europe, yours and the workshop manual you were working off are presumably for UK.

30 minutes ago, Happy Days said:

For cold drinks, isn't the glovebox airconned?

Assuming you mean our Allroad, yes it is but not big enough for a bottle or 2 of wine and 6 beers and a couple of litres of water like the fridge in the boot is 😁

2 hours ago, dpg123 said:

I've not tried it, but doubt it would work properly - the coolbox will operate by pumping out heat to its surroundings which it will rely on being dissipated by convection. If the coolbox is itself placed in a sealed hot compartment, this heat dissipation won't happen and the refrigeration system is likely to overheat. I would expect the instructions for any such item to say it can't be operated in a confined space such as a car boot.

36 minutes ago, mike597 said:

Region-specific and therefore climate-specific?  Meno's car was built for Europe, yours and the workshop manual you were working off are presumably for UK.

Thought that, but still don't believe it. I actually used the North Americian documents.

When I first bought my 986 I also noticed just how incredible hot it was in my boot but it was ok in my front luggage compartment, I do have climate control but don't know if the helps the front.

The heat in the boot was explained by me needing a new clutch and flywheel yet I had not detected it slipping at all.

I only asked the indi to replace the clutch plate because I was having the IMS replaced but when it was all done it's not hot at all now in the boot I just get a little warmth from the header tank.

4 hours ago, Skidd said:

Really?

4 hours ago, mike597 said:

Hi chaps

According to ARAF and nick_usa's answers in this thread on p1, I have a US-build spec (C02) with option 575 Cool Luggage - "refers to an Air Con outlet in the front luggage compartment. However it doesn't cool the luggage as it is there to cool the Sat Nav DVD unit as these in some markets (USA included) overheat in extreme conditions."

http://www.BoXa.net/forum/topic/41758-fresh-juicy-portuguese-orange/

1 hour ago, the baron said:

hang on, in a 986 we dont even have a glovebox let alone a nice air conditioned one.

Until the facelift 986.

Whilst the rear boot on my 986 does warm up, the trunk does not in every day driving.  So takeaway in the boot icecream in the frunk!

Not taken the car to Europe so not faced those extremes of temperature. What about using an insulated cool bag rather that trying to insulated the boot or frunk?

Archived