Headlight crazing

Happy Days

With the darker nights now with us, I have been using my headlights more often. Just noticed this on both headlights - the outer covering seems 'crazed' when observed directly from above. From the front, it's not noticeable, but I wonder if its structurally weakened the cover? Still under warranty so I might send the pic to Belfast OPC to get their opinion too.

n3u41O5.jpg

It’s very common on all Boxsters and Caymans. It s always on my check list when I’m looking to buy a car.

All of mine have had some level of headlight defects and also on the rear of my 987.2. Nothing will repair it, replacement is the only way and very expensive. You should be covered under your warranty though 👍

I will be replacing the rear lights on mine when I get a spare £500😩 You can only see it when the light is on but that is enough more me😂

Update.

I called in to Belfast OPC yesterday. The SA was puzzled by the crazing and took the car in to the garage to get photos etc for a possible warranty claim.

About twenty minutes later, he appeared sheepishly stating that a service bulletin was issued on 18 September outlining exactly this issue. The bulletin stated that the cause was excessive force being used when cleaning, apparently. He asked me who did my car cleaning. I replied that I did, using only Ultimate Finish Snow Foam and a Karcher K4 pressure washer. My car has never been touched by a sponge, or a mitt or a polisher. I only use snow foam and power wash it off. He took all these details and said he would contact Porsche GB.

Am I the only one who smells a rat here?

Sounds like they are already trying to palm off with BS.

Next they'll say you were too close with your power washer...

I had a motor go on one of my 981 lights - £2500 + fitting and it took 2 days for them to code it to the car.

1 hour ago, dpg123 said:

What’s your overall opinion of Belfast OPC? I’ve called by a couple of times.

I have to say, I'm overall a little disappointed with a few of the staff (this issue is not a factor). My SE appears to not want to talk to me, whereas all the rest of the lads call over and say hello by name. The service guys all know me by name when I walk in, so I'm impressed by that. The DP is a great laugh, always a joke for you. Maybe it's just my SE's lack of service that is bothering me. I've been to about four or five of their 'open' events, new launches etc and I always get the feeling that my SE is avoiding me. Don't know why, I'm not a PITA to deal with, I email him with a spec code and say, order me this, will you?'. He checks the options with me over the phone, suggests a few that he thinks I should have, or suggests what I don't need, and away it goes. I bought GAP and financed one car through them three years ago when we bought two cars in the space of two months.

I work in the motor trade and there are some funny folks out there. Service managers seem to be particularly pr*ckly 😂

I find it odd that he didn’t seem to know anything about Porsche lights crazing, they are definitely a weak point on all models of Boxster/Cayman.

I ve had 3 Porsche’s all with various levels of headlight defects. My dads 996 headlights are crazed and I’ve seen 3 or four members cars with either staining, cracks or uv coating breaking down. Doesn’t seem model related as I’ve seen it on later cars as well, it may not be reported much but it is definitely a issue.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes it is very odd, it must be something to do with what the lenses are made of and the temperature. There’s nothing on my wife’s Audi lights but I’m not sure if they are xenon or led but they are very bright. It’s 4yrs old so I’m guessing xenon and it has had a lot of use as a company car.

9 hours ago, Lonewolfgjp said:

Yes it is very odd, it must be something to do with what the lenses are made of and the temperature. There’s nothing on my wife’s Audi lights but I’m not sure if they are xenon or led but they are very bright. It’s 4yrs old so I’m guessing xenon and it has had a lot of use as a company car.

You cant see the grazing in the daylight and only from certain angles with lights on. From information that i have read it is to do with the heat generated by the lamps.

On 9/13/2019 at 4:29 PM, Lonewolfgjp said:

It’s very common on all Boxsters and Caymans. It s always on my check list when I’m looking to buy a car.

All of mine have had some level of headlight defects and also on the rear of my 987.2. Nothing will repair it, replacement is the only way and very expensive. You should be covered under your warranty though 👍

I will be replacing the rear lights on mine when I get a spare £500😩 You can only see it when the light is on but that is enough more me😂

My 987.2 rear clusters have this crazing/micro cracking. Hard to see in daylight more noticable with the lights on. They are LEDs. Front lights are fine . . .  so far. Bit of a mystery, the condition of 986 headlights varies a lot too, many getting a greenish tinge on the top and the perspex becomes more opaque, which can be remedied with a polish, as most  know. My old 986 headlights were in lovely nick, envied by several on here, I used to use AG glass polish on them, but they were nice when I purchased the car to be fair.

I had the letter in about extending the warranty as the car is now approaching 3 years old. I.m going to reply asking why would I bother extending when Porsche GB won't honour a claim under the existing manufacturer's warranty.

Update. I received a survey following my last visit to Belfast. I normally issue 10s all round, but this time I didn't, reflecting my displeasure at being somewhat palmed off, Yesterday the DP phoned me to smooth things out. He reckoned there could be an arrangement whereby Porsche UK offer a portion via goodwill, Belfast will offer a portion and I will have to pay a share. Replacement headlights are coming in at  £1200. I believe he will be suggesting a third share all round. I'm not amused at this offer.

On 10/3/2019 at 8:32 AM, Topbox said:

My 987.2 rear clusters have this crazing/micro cracking. Hard to see in daylight more noticable with the lights on. They are LEDs. Front lights are fine . . .  so far. Bit of a mystery, the condition of 986 headlights varies a lot too, many getting a greenish tinge on the top and the perspex becomes more opaque, which can be remedied with a polish, as most  know. My old 986 headlights were in lovely nick, envied by several on here, I used to use AG glass polish on them, but they were nice when I purchased the car to be fair.

Update on my rear lights, I’ve found an excuse to change them now other than the crazing.

I ve just given the car a full monty wash after the run into Wales and there is now snow foam in the rear lights 😩

48875018107_33f3688855_b.jpg

Archived